Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Chev deluxe - build log.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan272, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Wowwwww it sure has been a long time!
    When I left off I was set to take the car to the sandblasters but life got in the way, as it does, and it's unfortunately been sitting since then.

Well.
    I'm currently booking in at the sandblasters and arranging transport (again). I also shall purchasing that etch primer this coming week and buying a tig welder probably the week after. Have been doing a whole lot of reading about the welders and it's all a bit of an overload, but I think ill probably be considering either a lincoln or a miller.

I've also been doing HEAPS of reading on front ends for the chevs and have considered the jag fronts etc etc but I think i'll just bite the bullet and go with a Mustang 2, but have had the hardest time trying to source one in Aus. Unless i'm just totally useless, does anybody know where in Aus I could buy one?

Annnnnd I shall be selling my engine and gearbox (complete) that I pulled from the chev, if anyone is interested (or knows someone who may be?) and I also have a holden 202 with gearbox for sale as well. Just PM me with any questions etc.

I know everybody loves photo's but unfortunately I have none at this stage, but they'll be coming soon. I promise :)

2. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

So I managed to get outside for a little bit today before the rain hit, and finished removing the rest of the mounting bolts securing the body to the chassis, and its now ready to be removed. Managed to get them out without stripping the square hole they sit in on the floor pan, but only just.
    The plan of attack for next time is to lift the body off and remove the drive shaft as well as any other small mounting brackets I may have missed for the brake lines, clutch etc.
    Have also decided on a welder: Lincoln precision 225 Tig.
    Here's a tiny update, hopefully photos from next time will show more progress:

Attached Files:

3. speed v8

speed v8

Good to see your back at it!

4. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Yes, LIFE HAPPENS and at your age it can happen very fast.

Your doing a great job on the chevy, keep focused on your goal and it will happen.

Those rockers may slow you down a bit but the floors look solid, so you have plenty of good material to work with. Keep at it

Godspeed
    MrC.

5. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Thanks!

Thankyou.
    Yeah looking at the rockers again reminded me what I have ahead, but I'll be purchasing new ones most likely from "chevs of the 40's" and doing a whole bunch of reading, measuring and bracing before I attempt them so it should be alright. The front passenger floor will also need to be replaced but as you said, the rest of the floor seems to be solid.
    Gotta just jump in and give it a go I spose!

6. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

So I finished work early yesterday and managed to get a couple of hours into the chev.
    I completely unbolted the front end from the chassis (save for 2 bolts) and also removed the remainder of a brake line and some odd screws and trim clips along the drivers side of the body (the right hand side, for you crazy up-side down americans ;))
    I've been struggling SO HARD removing the screws which come through the underside of the body and secure the wooden mounting for the rear seat - i forgot how much of a pain it was removing them from the other side, i guess that's why I left this side, haha.
    But tomorrow I'll go and buy some cobolt drill bits and show those suckers who's boss. No photo's at the moment because I'm at work on my lunch break, but shall upload photo's tonight! :)

7. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

So!
    After unbolting the cab from the chassis I then moved to unbolting the front end and removing the engine mounts.
    As I still need to use the front end to wheel the car around until it is sandblasted and replaced, I left a couple of bolts in, as you can see:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was relatively straight forward and I then moved to removing the drive shaft... not so straightforward, as I'd never done it before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pictures make it seem a lot easier than it was. Those bolts holding the front of the driveshaft to the diff (containing the pinion gear) were so tight and stuffed that I had to grind a couple off, and it was pretty tight quarters under there haha. But it all worked out well in the end.
    So that's it, the car is basically apart. Just needs probably another short session to remove any other small plates or bits and pieces that I've missed and it's ready to go to the sandblasters. Probably look at booking it in if not this friday, then the one after. I can't wait! It's finally going to hit that turning point where instead of pulling it apart, I will be putting it back together!

8. aldixie

aldixie

Nice to see another 4 door. I had he same problem with my rocker panels, I bought replacements from National Chevy Assoc. Inner panels I got on EBay.

9. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Ah ok, I'll have to check them out. How was the quality/pricing?

Mini update guys - she's booked in for sandblasting on the 20th!

10. aldixie

aldixie

Outers are $116 each, inners are $56 each. They do take a bit of fitting but are the same steel thickness as the originals.

11. I love those old 4door chevvies....even if you guys have the steering wheel on the "wrong" side....nice job, Hero !!!

12. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Alrighty, thanks for that. I'd better pull my finger out and start organising these!

Thanks!

Well, a fair bit of progress has been made this past weekend!
    I got up early on Friday morning and wheeled Helen out for the last 'once-over' before loading her up for sandblasting.
    I also went through all of the stuff I would be sending with her to be cleaned up - and there was a lot.
    I took any remaining trim bits and pieces off the doors and door trims, drilled out the rivets in the front bumper (to have three seperate pieces) and also loaded up all the odds and ends, like bumper hangers, boot lid etc.
    One of the things I had forgotten about was the bootlid arms which were stuck in their housing. They took a fair bit of persuasion to get out, the pictures will show you why.
    I also got the last of the wooden rear seat mounts out and then she was ready to go.
    We put her up on the truck and loaded up the 4wd with the rest of the stuff, braved an hour of peak-hour traffic and dropped it all off at the blasters. Hopefully (weather permitting) I'll be collecting the body and chassis this coming Friday and the rest of the parts the week after.
    Pictures to come in the next post because I'll upload them straight off my phone.

13. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Photos attached:

Attached Files:

14. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

The next day I set to cleaning up the garage and sorting through all the other bits and pieces that I was either going to clean or replace.
    Making my way to the back of the garage I brought out my front bench and began stripping it of its cover, which led me to find a bit of a rats nest and a couple of little treasures contained within (photos again in the next post).
    And that's basically where I'm at, at the moment. Just waiting for this coming friday when I can pick up my car and hopefully not just a pile of sand on the ground haha.

15. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Photos attached:

Attached Files:

16. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Righteo!
    So I collected my car on friday and I was like a kid on christmas morning!
    I anxioulsy walked around it checking for holes where there were once panels, but surprisingly (luckily) the rust seems to be confined to the areas that I already knew about (rockers on both sides and the front passenger floor pan) apart from a couple of pin holes here and there, that is.

Naturally, being in the middle of one of the coldest/wettest winters in years, it was raining heavily almost the entire day.
    So we just got a massive tarp and wrapped it up on the back of the trailer, like some massive government experiment, and transported it home.

Once we got the car home and into the garage (after a couple of stops to re-strap the tarp) I spent the next hour or so drying it off with a heat gun.
    I probably should have painted it then but I'd just had enough for the day, so I packed it up and went to my friends place to have a look at a rotisserie he used on a '57 chev - which I'm hoping I can modify to suit my body.

The next day I got up early and headed up to the shed to seperate the body from the chassis and paint them both... what an ordeal.
    It was just me and my friends dad trying to lift the body high enough to clear the chassis and never again will I attempt that without at least 4 people haha.
    Anyway, we got there eventually and loaded the chassis up and took it back to mine. (storing the body at a friends)

I then went back and began blowing out/vacuuming up all of the residue from the sandblasters, then mixed up the primer and began painting.
    Having done very little paint work by myself I don't know enough to really troubleshoot issues.
    Basically the gun was sort of pulsating or stuttering, as I was trying to spray? :mad:
    It seemed to be working fine at first then it developed the issue.
    I tried adjusting the air flow and width and check my connections but I just don't know? I tried troubleshooting on google and a couple of responses suggested it could be air leaking into the material passage. Any suggestions? I cleaned the gun out after I was done so maybe it will be ok now...

Anyway I finished up last night at about 9pm and had just had enough after a massive day. Tonight I'm going to have to sand all of the flash rusting off my chassis (got wet trailering it back to my house) and paint it up. I'll try using a different gun and I'll see if I get the same stuttering problems. Any advice on that issue would be greatly appreciated!

Photos in the next post.

17. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Photos attached:
    (you can see the stuttering I was talking about especially along the top of the rear window)

Attached Files:

18. What paint we're you shooting?
    I ran into the same problem shooting a high build primer.
    Basically my gun isn't big enough to spray the thick stuff
    You can try removing the filter if you have one under the cup, or thin the paint a bit

Either way don't worry about it, you will be sanding the primer.
    Good luck

19. BadLuck

BadLuck

my gun was doing the same thing while spraying my high build primer too... just reduced the primer a little more.. used a 1.8 tip.. sprayed out nice and smooth.. good luck, great build pics!

20. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Wow you're tearing this one completely down and doing it right! Keep it up and just a little time, a little $ and a whole lot of motivation will keep this old Chevy project rolling along. Your sheetmetal looks sooo much better than most 52's than I've seen here in the midwest states. Thanks for sharing your build here and keep on kicking ass.

21. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

I'm shooting a 2-pack epoxy primer, I thought it may be the paint thickness because I couldn't really measure how much I was thinning it too well. I had to use a cheap gun because I didn't have the hose connection I needed on the compressor for the other gun. That sort of jogged my memory and I think the other gun I have has a larger tip, Ill give that a go once I've sanded and am ready for the next coat.
    Thanks guys, was scratching my head a bit.

Thanks man. Yeah I was pleasantly surprised with how well the sheetmetal looks, could have been a lot worse. I'll upload some more photos in the next post.
    Cheers.

22. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

More photos.
    The drivers side body mounts have totally rusted/been blasted off the chassis. The passenger side is alright though. Both chassis mounts at the front of the car have some rust holes but should be relatively easy to repair.
    You can see some slight pitting/rusting through around the windshield there. There's similar examples sporadically around the car but hopefully won't be too hard to repair either.
    Note flash rusting on the chassis from getting caught in the rain. I'll try remove that tonight... *facepalm*.

Attached Files:

23. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looking good ! Keep going !

24. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Thanks!

I figure the more I post updates the more I can track what I've done and can stay on track/motivated. Got out there for an hour or so tonight and started to clean the chassis with one of those spongy rust/paint remover wheels on the angle grinder. Then switched to 120 and 180 grit sand paper. I think I'm gonna have to buy some more wire wheels (I thought I was done with these) to get around all the rivets an into the little crevices etc.
    Anyway after tonight I've been thinking of doing the chassis in por15 or something of the like. Just to really seal it and prevent and chance of rust forming spreading. Guess I'll search some topics on it and see what the general opinion is.

Here's a couple of quick shots:

Attached Files:

25. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Hokay.
    Day 1:
    On Friday myself and a mate got stuck into the chassis.
    We started with removing the diff and suspension and wheeling that out of the way, then on to the front of the car and removing the front clip. All pretty straight forward stuff.
    Then we busted out the angle grinder and wire wheels and set about removing the flash rusting on the chassis... which took some time.
    After flipping the chassis and removing the last of the rust spots we discovered that the stabilisers (I suppose?) for the tranny crossmember were absolutely FULL with the same grease/dirt/gunk shit that was all over the chassis. It never ends.
    I've got as much out as I could with some screwdrivers and the compressor but with fading light outside I had to leave it to begin spraying. I'll come back to them when I get my welder (hopefully this week) and I'm thinking I'll have to cut a channel in them, clean them out, then weld the channel back in. Blah.

This time I came prepared for painting:
    -I bought new connections for my compressor hoses and paint gun
    -Proper mixing containers and stirrers
    -Bought new Pack A and B paint (expensive mistake mentioned briefly in above post, basically I didnt mix Pack A properly and stuffed it)
    -Used a gun with a 2.0mm tip
    -And I also mixed my paint correctly - what a difference having the right tools makes, haha.
    It all went on nice and easy and used about a litre or so of the reduced mixture (reduced the 4:1 mixture by 20% for spraying).
    I sprayed the underside first, waited a little for the paint to harden, the flipped it and did the top side, which I managed to finish just as the sun went down. Then I took it back in the garage to dry, ready for a sand and second coat in the coming days.

Day 2:
    Saturday saw me head up to my mates to do some work on the body. I spent about an hour or so simply spraying the media/sand out, vacuuming it up and repeating.
    Then I spent about 2-3 hours with p180 grit sand paper... sanding.
    I don't know if I should have maybe used maybe p240 or something, but because I just sprayed it quickly to prevent it from rusting, there was a lot of sand and grit on the car which needed to come off and p80 seemed too coarse... so yeah p180.
    I had planned to also paint the car but since cleaning and sanding took SO long (still haven't finished sanding) I decided to leave it for another day.
    Also I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to prep-wash before I do the second coat? I guess it would make sense, seeing as there’s paint dust all over the car.
    Anyway that's the progress to date. My doors, boot lid and other misc bits and pieces should be ready to collect this Friday.
    I've also got to research what diff I can swap into the back of the car, and also how I'm going to get a bolt-in front clip in Australia... Maybe I’ll have to just order the cross member itself and source the rest here.
    Anyway, it feels good to be making progress. Photo's in the next post.

26. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Photos:

Attached Files:

27. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Well I haven't posted in a little while, but I have been busy.
    I purchased a tig welder, and collected the rest of my parts from the sandblasters (doors, boot lid, bumpers, bumper hangers, headlight buckets, etc.) and as is my luck of late, it was absolutely bucketing down and some of my parts got a bit wet in transit so I spent some more time with my trusty ol' heat gun drying parts.
    Anyway, I then bought some panel stands and a paint gun and started the process of spraying out all the dust, hanging/prepping and painting parts.
    Currently I'm about halfway through I would say.
    Due to my extremely small garage and the terrible rainy weather, I was quite cramped so my goal was just to get paint on the bare metal. It's a bit average in some places but it needs to be sanded anyway and at least I'm stopping it from rusting so I can take my time with the second coat and get it all looking good.
    I quickly painted some parts this morning before work.
    It's quite overwhelming to walk in the garage now as I've kind of gone from having nothing to do - to everything to do, haha. But it's pretty motivating.
    More updates soon, and photo's to come in the next post.

28. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Photos attachedddddd:

Attached Files:

29. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

So I got out there and did a little more painting last night because I got off work early.
    Things are looking pretty good, I finished up my petrol tank (which has the tiniest hole in it, damn) and finished up the 'inside' of my bootlid. That is, where all of the sound deadening etc was, just trying to catch all of the bits I missed. I'll probably have to get in there with a paintbrush to get the very corners I think and the same with my doors.
    I also had to paint my bumpers because theyre a bit too far gone to be re-chromed, which is unfortunate, but I'll make do for now.
    Then I painted my headlight buckets, the grille teeth and a few of the flat panels from the doors (the ones that hide the inside of the door).
    Just a minor update, but it's all progress :) Photos in the next post.

30. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

Moar photos:

Attached Files: