Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with 40 ford rocker replacement questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stubbygda, Jul 20, 2012.

1. stubbygda

stubbygda
    from Raleigh NC

I am replacing the the rocker panels and floor in my 40 coupe. I noticed that when i was test fitting in the front rocker panel there was a gap between the closed door and the rocker panel. There was no floor in my car so i dont know if it ought to be flush or not. When i look at where the rocker attaches to a and b pillars seems to be gap of about 1/2 in or so.

Also can anyone tell me how the bottom of the qtr panel attaches to rocker. There seems to be a lip on part of the rocker but not back where the rear fender starts and the frame begins to kick up, here it is straight. Is there something else between the qtr panel outside and the rocker?

Any pictures,info or pointers would be appreciated!
    Thanks

2. I don't know if this will help you. I made all of my patch panels from what was left of the originals. Here's a few pic's. The 1/4 spot welds to the bottom of the rocker.

Attached Files:

3. stubbygda

stubbygda
    from Raleigh NC

thanks for the pics and info, i had found these thru a search and they helped. i have attached some pics and more specific questions that hopefully will make more sense than my last rambling!

first off i am assuming (yea this always gets me in trouble) that the rocker attaches behind the tabs at the a and b pillars show here:

these pics show the gap with door closed between bottom of door and the tabs to attach rocker. there is also one of the rocker laid above these tabs just for purpose of estimation how well it fit the door curve.

then finally my quarter panel rocker attachment. here is a pic of the rocker and i see the bend to attach quarter. my question is more toward the kickup area. the rocker comes straight down and the quarter would meet it at 90 degrees with no lip for attachment? i have attached a pic of the area in question...

sorry to be so long and detailed but i am stuck and i know lots of folks on here have done this more than once! man i wish i had a reference to go by!!

Attached Files:

• 032.jpg
      032.jpg
      File size:
      254.1 KB
      Views:
    • 033.jpg
      033.jpg
      File size:
      300.4 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      265.6 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      405.4 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      431.4 KB
      Views:
    • 036.jpg
      036.jpg
      File size:
      495.6 KB
      Views:
    • 035.jpg
      035.jpg
      File size:
      492.8 KB
      Views:
  4. Here's some pictures from underneath. The door looks right. I believe there is a scuff/kick plate that butts up to the door to close the gap. Hopefully someone will chime in if I'm wrong about that.

Attached Files:

• 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      46 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      54.4 KB
      Views:
    • 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      46.5 KB
      Views:
    • 019.JPG
      019.JPG
      File size:
      59.4 KB
      Views:

5. Buckster

Buckster

I went thru a 2010 Early V8 Club Rooster to see if anyone in your area had a '40 that you could go & look at. Unfortunately, there were no '40s owned by members in the Raleigh area. There were 3 members who list Raleigh in their address. It might be worth contacting them to see if they know of a coupe you could check out. If you are interested in this approach I can supply their names for you.

6. Buckster

Buckster

Another thought...the NSRA NATS (Louisville,KY) is coming up. Are you attending? If so, I can put you in touch with my car as well as two others you could look at that have not been molested.

7. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

There is a gap (about 1/2") between the rocker and the door bottom. The rubber on the scuff molding goes against the door bottom and makes the seal. Keep this gap the same along the door bottom when you weld in your rocker and you will be fine.

8. 49oldscoupe

49oldscoupe

9. flat 39

flat 39

Just Like Dak said.

10. stubbygda

stubbygda
    from Raleigh NC

Folks, thanks very much for the help. I think i now know enough to be dangerous. I figured there were some folks on here who had been there done that.

Keith thanks for the additional pics extremely helpful.

Buckster i wont be making it to KY but appreciate the offer. If you get a chance i would appreciate you sending me the contact info mentioned via email.

Thanks again!

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here are some photos of what the faactory floor rocker looks like all done. Hope it helps in some way. The rubber door seal is from Bob Drake.

Attached Files:

12. ram-rod

ram-rod

13. fleet-master

fleet-master

I've got a 39 coupe here stripped down to the floors...let me know if I can help...

Attached Files:

14. stubbygda

stubbygda
    from Raleigh NC

guys thanks for the xtra pics. 19fordy the seal shots were perfect. thanks

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Great. Here's a few more. Just in case.

Attached Files: