Register now to get rid of these ads!

250 6 banger squeaking while cranking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kdrodworks316, Jul 22, 2012.

1. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

I'm trying to get my 54 together, and can't figure out a cranking issue. I've changed starters, batteries, made more bigger ground straps and it just don't want to crank like it should. The engine is a 250 inline 6 and it ran when pulled. The engine has a loud squeak when it's cranked, I pulled the belt off do its not the belt. I'm afraid I have an internal issue causing the squeak, any ideas where to start?

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If it doesnt squeek while running, It just about has to be a starter to flywheel issue.
    Clutch in? trans out of gear?
    heres a bump anyway.

3. Butch11443

Butch11443

If you haven't got it running yet, pull the plugs and oil down the cylinders. Sounds like they are dry. Spin it over without the plugs, then try to start it.
    Butch

4. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

I haven't got it to start yet, it will build around 60psi of oil pressure while cranking. The trans is in neutral. The squeak sounds like metal to metal, kinda like a tight squeaky bolt. Seems to squeak once every full turn.

5. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

Ok, the oil trick seemed to fix the problem. I put about 1/2 cup of 2 stroke oil in each hole and let it sit for a bit. The I draped a towel over the engine and give it a spin without the plugs, and spin it did. I dropped the plugs back in and cranked it, just as it should. I dumped some fuel in the carb and it lit right up. Thanks for the advise guys, much appreciated!