Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2012 Syracuse Nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lockwoodkustoms, Jun 5, 2012.

1. joburnsjo

joburnsjo

we are there friday and sat. with my 39 chevy PU

Attached Files:

2. Full coverage of the 2012 Syracuse Nationals weekend starting with this preview

Syracuse Preview | Motor City Garage

Please feel free to take, use, and share the photos however you like... but when appropriate, link or credit if you think of it. Thanks!

3. bradshaw

bradshaw
    from ontario

I have to stop by for a look at your Truck...Nice!

4. What's good going on in the evening this year?

I've suddenly found myself solo mio, and am looking to keep myself entertained!

5. No shortage of places between you and the Fairgrounds; Market Diner on Park Street; Stellas (just off Lodi St. and visible from Hiawatha Blvd); The Gem Diner (formerly 'little gem') on Spencer St.; there are dozens of other places around from fast food all the way up the ladder to fancy stuff.

Just another reminder, the usual route from Liverpool to the Fairgrounds is to use Hiawatha Blvd from either Park Street or the I-81 exit; on Friday Hiawatha will more than likely be closed at Solar St in front of the mall as they work on a pedestrian overpass (they don't work on it on weekends) and may make for some traffic issues in the mornings and evenings. Detour is pretty simple, a block over, but everything has to funnel down to one lane to make the detour.

You can alternately go through the villiage of Liverpool on 370 to John Glenn Blvd. (left), then 690 east to either State Fair Blvd. or take the ramp for 695 south "to Route 5" and there's an offramp before you blend in that puts you on Pumphouse Road, basically loops you out onto State Fair Blvd. just west of gates 7 and 6. There is some construction here also, it's down to single lanes across the bridge and they've ground off the top layer of ashphalt (IE a couple of big bumps), but the traffic was fine the other morning.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  6. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Thansk for the tip. We're Heading out today after work at 4pm! Looking forward to it!

7. Dinosaur Bar-B-Que: http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/locations/syracuse/

Plenty of bikes, rods, food and of course.... beer!

8. I plan on leaving work around 1 today. 4+ hour drive down, so hopefully I'll check out the last few minutes of the swap and the old school drags tonight. Dinner and a beer somewhere, then bright and early on Saturday.

9. oj

oj

Is Heids' still in Liverpool selling hot dogs? and those crocks of mustard with paint stirers to slather the mustard on the dogs and odd coney? how about hinderwadels deli? and Jims' fish fry - was that on hiawatha blvd?

10. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

I like the way you think Speedy!

11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

So against my better judgement I let a group of high school buddies talk me into going today. When did this become a muscle car show??? Never seen so many Nova's Malibus, Chevells, Camaros, Mustangs, Torinos, Roadrunners, etc. in one spot. What happened to rods and customs, classic cars 64 and older??? Not that there weren't some nice cars there but seems like they are being squeezed out by 70's stuff. And the old school area, at least today wasn't worth the walk. And you'd think the economy was sizzling again looking at the prices in the car corral. Looks like people are looking to pay of their houses by sellling the not running 50 dodge Just drug outa the weeds, 6500 bucks my butt, Makes my car worth 20K I doubt it.

Maybe I'm just gettin old and cynical.

12. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I had this very conversation yesterday. I just don't get it.

Well guys and gals, my engine took a dump on me coming home lastnight. You won't be seeing my car there for the rest of the weekend. I may try and get back there in my daily.

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Do you know what it is?? Most common problem is head gasket (easy fix) and unlike other engine they usually don't spew white smoke as the failure is between cylinder pairs like 1/2 3/4 or 5/6. a quick compression check will usually indicate where the problem is. The gasket fails i the thing area between the paired cylinders and allow them to swap compression. I would bet 80% thats what happened.

This doesn't go a long way to assisting your eentual engine/trans swap but it will get you back o the road in two/three hours.

14. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree.

We left today (Saturday) at noon. Way too many '80's style street rods, r-word rods (?), muscle cars, idiots tring to cruise through wall-to-wall people even as the loud speakers asked them not to and......well, you get the picture. There were a few nice, traditional hot rods and a lot of VERY nicely done Canadian rods, but not enough to warrant spending a couple of hundred on a room & food. Guess I'll confine my activities to wrenching in the shop and touring from now on. :D

15. MRTS33

MRTS33

I agree with others too many Muscle/80's cars putting around, "Look at Me" types. To many people around for all of that. Very HOT today. Yesterday was much more relaxed and a little cooler. Put a lot of steps down on the old dogs though.

My brite moment today was seeing a 33 Pontiac 3 Window Coupe. I had to stop him as he was coming in. Shook my brothers hand.:D

16. Well, the show is open to like 1980 and back and on Sunday even newer stuff is allowed in. That's how they get 8,000 cars to Syracuse NY for a weekend.

I've done well enough, I'm selling more than last year - in fact I passed last year's mark about 11 am Saturday. It's nice to have a big show so close to home that I can actually go get more stuff out as I sell it and have different things out all three days. Plus I pulled out some stuff that's either never been to a show, or I haven't had out in years for this one.

That black primered one? He was driving it last year, it has some sort of Chevy motor update in it. In fact, somebody backed into it when they were loading up at the end of the show and knocked a headlight out.

I saw a few seemingly decent deals, the '69 Eldorado while OT sure was nice for $5400, one owner and 72,000 miles -

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  17. Yes, Heid's is still there. Oneida Indians in part just bought the Hoffman hot dog brand and wants to take the brand and the Heid's concept national, even hired some Japanese hot dog contest winner for advertising purposes, so maybe you'll get one close to home one of these days.

18. bradshaw

bradshaw
    from ontario

19. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The Hoffman germans style snappy franks are availabel in local grocery stores in 1, 2, and 5 lb bags, take some home and amaze your friends.

Jims fish fry is on Wolf street just north os 7th North street.

20. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

been goin for the last 3 years. this years event was the worst so far. what's with all the lazy assholes on scooters? i asked the guy who rents the scooters what happens if somebody on one hits a car, and he said he was not responsible. then who is? they should not be allowed on the property unless you have a medical reason for riding one. not just because your fat and to lazy to walk! oh, and if anybody has any pics of the green willy's gasser, put em up! that was one of the best cars there.

21. While I was in town I just had to stop there for a couple of dogs. There's always a line out the door, amazing. Great place.

22. [​IMG]

A note written on the windshield of this Deuce 5W read, "same owner 60 years." Got to love that.

More photos from Syracuse here...

2012 Syracuse Nationals | Motor City Garage

Will have followup stories with lots more photos in the coming days. Please take, use, and share the images however you like. (Hi res for car owners on request.) But if you think of it and it's appropiate, a credit or a link would be great. Thanks!

23. raymay

raymay

Attended Friday and Saturday. Great time. Seems to be getting bigger each year. Met some nice people and gathered a few ideas for a current and a possible next build.

Attached Files:

24. The NYS Fairgrounds are huge, so it's disappointing to hear cruising is discouraged.:( I prefer shows with cruising; some cars are meant to putt around & tour :D (I'm a biased since we often cruise my jalopy TUB):cool:

25. sic-nic

sic-nic

you won't see anymore ol' skool drags. the guy flaggin' got hit by a dragger and sent to the hospital.

26. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

holy shit, what day did this happen?

27. sic-nic

sic-nic

28. MRTS33

MRTS33

No kidding, really? Wow! Did they do this on the dirt track?

29. hotrodroadster32

hotrodroadster32
    from Mass

We went had a great time,here are some of my hamb friendly pictures.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      327.9 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      329.5 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG