Register now to get rid of these ads!

turbo 350 leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by awd_maine, Jul 15, 2012.

1. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

So... I got this hotrod, it's got a SBC with a turbo 350. The tranny has been leaking fluid since I got the car. So finally got fed up and washed the tranny with brake kleen, found that the bracket that holds the modulator valve was on backward allowing it to move all about. Fixed that and it appeared the leak was gone, but then there was a puddle. Found a hole just forward and up a little of the governor that the fluid is coming out. is this a vent, should there be a hose or something, should i block it off???? I just want it to stop leaking!!! By the way the hotrod is a 39 ford standard coupe, flat black, kind of a ratrod

2. brad chevy

brad chevy

Post a picture of the tranny and is the fluid level right.

3. conn.rod

conn.rod
    from atlanta

if I am not mistaken the only thing near the tranny gov is the speedo cable mount,is your speedo hooked up,or is the speedo gear gone?

4. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

from back to front it's the speedo cable the governor and this hole. i saw a pic this morning, let me go find it and post it in a few

5. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

6. I've never seen one leak there.....TTT

7. squirrel

squirrel

that's the pivot for the parking pawl

I think it has a cup plug there and on the other end of the shaft.

That'll be fun to fix. Might see if you can clean it up completely, and put some JB weld in the hole...

8. AG F/C

AG F/C

A buddy of mine has a 400 (I think) with leak in the same place. He tried silicone but the best is to replace the cup plug. I don't know if there is room to do that. Can anyone measure the hole diameter? It is around 1/4" but that is from memory.

9. squirrel

squirrel

I think I scrapped all my old 350 cases. I have one in the shop, it's dirty but empty. I could probably spend some time scraping....

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If no one comes up with the info before tonight, I have two th350s at the shop and can look at them and take a picture. I will be over there after 6 pm.

Don

11. AG F/C

AG F/C

Jim, that would be a big help. Sourcing the plugs is an easy deal. The one I mentioned is in a Deuce so it would have some room around it to drive back in.

12. mattraff

mattraff

From the one on my garage floor - If this is the hole you are thinking of, it looks solid, or at least plugged to me...

Nothing was connected here when it was in the truck & running.

WP_000773.jpg
    WP_000774.jpg

13. squirrel

squirrel

The hole is 3/8" and has a cup plug in it, staked to retain it. You might want to clean it and inspect carefully to see where the oil is coming out. It's possible the case is cracked. If the case is not cracked, you can fix it...but it's going to be fun to try to remove the plug. Might be able to drill it and screw a sheet metal screw into the hole to pull the plug, but you probably want to remove the staking first. And you need to pull the gove cover to get a straight shot at it.

I think I'd do the epoxy trick if I was working on it.

14. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

Thanks for all the info everyone. I put the brake kleen to it, to get the oil residue off. I then used this stuff called "The Right Stuff" it's like a silicone gasket stuff in a cheeze whiz can. Had to rig a hose to the end of the nozzle to reach, but with any luck it will stop leaking. Maybe this winter I can get in there, maybe drop the tranny and put a plug in it.

Attached Files:

15. outlaw256

outlaw256

had a case crack right there once. used quick set j.b. weld on it never leaked again at thats been atleast 10 yrs.

16. squirrel

squirrel

I was thinking it might be cracked, someone put it in park when it was rolling, or something.

It's not normal for a steel plug to just start leaking all by itself.

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Had a similar leak once and I was able to patch it by cleaning up the surface and grinding the flat area around the plug. Then I took a piece of aluminum and cut a small circle and JB Weld the aluminum piece over the hole. Once it set up it never leaked, and with some heat the JB Weld can easily be removed if needed.

18. awd_maine

awd_maine
    from maine

well I put that "Right Stuff" to it and went for drive to see the Rolling Bones crew in upstate NY and back ( 621 miles ) and no leak!! YEEHAAA! Thanks for your help everyone