Register now to get rid of these ads!

*MrModelT and Powerwagonmaniac build a T speedster in 6 months!*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Jun 23, 2010.

1. noboD

noboD

Clayton, that seat material looks like an old Army tent. It will look perfect! Can't wait to see it in person in Aug.

2. MrModelT

MrModelT

Very good eye! :D We picked up a bunch at the local surplus place.

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Clayton, just be aware that the military canvas will give you "green butt". We restored a Viet Nam era M37B1 and put many miles on it. Had some "green butt" blue jeans from it, but loved it anyway.

Attached Files:

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

These are pretty worn and washed a few times, so hopefully not....I will be using them too me thinks. I don't have enough time to mess with my Rolls-Royce leather before the trip unfortunately.

Army green for me too! :D

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great progress!

6. noboD

noboD

Killer choice. See ya in August!

7. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Wishing you and Chris all the best as you complete your two rides. Need to get on the list for a ride in your roadster. Going to be one neat Hot Rod !

Dave

8. MrModelT

MrModelT

*UPDATE*
    Almost done!

Chris has the special almost complete...just a few more odds and ends to tie off. He also had is running again successfully Sunday afternoon!

Here is the latest!

[​IMG]

The temp hood..
    [​IMG]

New Ruckstell shifter...
    [​IMG]

Seats are coming along!
    [​IMG]

9. Looks great!!!

10. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Hey Chris, Are you wetting or steaming the luan for the seat-backs and clamping them to take the shape of the seat? I have seen where guys have poured boiling water on masonite, and allowed it to soak for a while and, then they clamp the wood to the seat, and when it drys, it stays in the molded shape. Trying to figure out how to do my Rootlieb shells, and while the bases are easy, the seat-backs are a little more of a mystery to me.
    Thanks, js

[​IMG]

11. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Jay,

My wife and mom are doing the seats so I not treally following what they are doing. I found a set if MGB seat back cardboard backs that I think the glued onto the seat backsand then glued the a thin closed cell foam then put a dense foam back then cover it with of green canvas.

12. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Chris, The Special is looking GREAT ! Looking forward to getting a ride in it on the Salt ! Wish you and Clayton all the best for your trip to the Salt .

Dave

13. Kume

Kume

Hey Chris

Was flicking through my ideas palette and was wondering what happened to your speedster build - any progress?

Kume

Attached Files:

14. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Chris, The Speedster is looking just fabulous I may have to beg out on Bonneville. My lady needs me and what ever time I have I must be at her side in Tucson. Sorry, but had to set my priorities. Would have loved to have been there. Maybe you guys can get me a couple of souvenirs from your travel to Bonneville and back. Maybe a state licsense plate for all that you passed through.

Chris, I will have to make arrangements with you om the trans part.

Hope that you both have a wonderful time and safe trip to Bonneville and back.

Get some good pictures !

Dave

15. Dave .. sent you a PM

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

Kume,

Chris's Speedster is on.."permanent hold, indefinitely" is the best way to put it. in reality, he has made progress...as the drive train from his white Speedster now powers the "Becker Special" down the road at a good rate of speed :D

Not sure what his plans are for the rest of the chassis, but he can probably offer some more enlightenment.

17. Saw a post where you took a test drive and a couple of probs. Everything OK ?? I sure hope you can make your journey to the salt. Best wishes.

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

MrModelT and Powerwagonmaniac build a T speedster in 6 months!

I think yer 6 months is up! :)

19. MrModelT

MrModelT

We really haven't had any problems on the "Special" in quite a while, so I feel that mechanically it is ready. Lately we did have some issues with steering that we are sorting out and with the 2-speed rear axle popping out of high gear...but both are correctable.

My roadster had a few problems with ignition Saturday, but those have been sorted out as well and seems to be running nice and strong now.

I think we will make it just fine :) ....though we might be working on it 'till the night before :rolleyes:

Yeah....I think we missed our deadline by just a bit :rolleyes: :D

I will say however, we did have the "Special" running and driving 6 months to the day that we started the project...only working on it 1 or 2 days a week, so I think we did pretty good in that department :)

20. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Chris and Clayton, Hope that you have a load of fun with these Hot Rod Model T's. Would love to have been there to hear the echo of the exhaust as you drive them across the Salt Flats . . . Sure would have made the year for me.

Wish you both all the best and a safe journey to and from the Salt.

Your Hot Rod buddy . . .

Dave

21. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Pulled the 2 speed ou last. iChat and we are putting the old single speed axle back in. Couldn't solve popping out problemso back to the old trusty stock axle and gearing. Troy and Clayton have pushing me hard and helping out more than I can thank them. Without their help I would have given up a while ago. We'll make it still have wiring to go re install the new rear axle and hitch up the rocky mountain brakes in a couple of days.....

22. MrsModelT

MrsModelT

Hi Hambers,

For updates on Clayton and Chris' progress enroute to Bonneville, Andy has been updating on this thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...86#post8047586

They've had their fair share of hurdles thus far, please keep sending them positive thoughts. Hopefully the worst is over and it will be smooth sailing all the way to the Salt

23. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

24. F&J

F&J

25. MrsModelT

MrsModelT

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

It was great to meet you guys at Bonneville!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Malcolm
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

27. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zd58CORczBE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*Update*
    A look at the "Specials" new 2-piece crank

On our Trip to Bonneville, disaster struck 52 miles out when the crank let go. After getting it home and with our Bonneville adventure over, Chris put the "Special" up in the air and dropped the pan to take a look....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On close inspection, the crank is a clean break that was badly cracked before we even set out for Bonneville (appears to have been crack for years almost half way through) and was only a matter of time.

Fortunately, there does not appear to be any other damage to anything else...so this should simply be a "crank transplant"

More to come

29. climer97007

climer97007

Seems like a good engine builder would have caught a crack like that. Who built this engine for you guys?

30. MrModelT

MrModelT

A good friend of Chris's Built this engine almost 12 years ago. Chris opted not to mag the crank/block because of the extra cost....I can understand this because he was building on a budget and price tag was already most of the car at the time.

He was younger and was learning...this was a learning experience, nothing more.

In hind sight, which is ALWAYS 20/20, he should have...but no big deal it will be fixed soon. I told him "if you get me a crank, I will fix it"...so tonight I am gonna pull the motor and get him the bearing specs to send off to the crank guy he has been talking to.