Register now to get rid of these ads!

CHEAP and Great Alternative Coil Springs '49 thru '59 Ford and Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fairlane Dave, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Tim G

Tim G

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. This thread is awesome. Looking to lower the front end of my 53 Ford Customline. Was going to buy lowered coils from Jamco but after reading all the horror stories about their customer service I was looking to alternatives. Not only does Aerostar coils seem to work for a lot of you it's way less expensive as well! Thanks and well done!

3. 1951mercury

1951mercury
    from Illinois

thats exactly what happened with mine...i love how it sits tho so im trying to figure out a way i can keep the lowering block and aerostars in there...

4. Not a great picture to see comparisons but here's my 53 with aerostar springs freshly installed.

[​IMG]

5. And here's the "before" shot...

[​IMG]

6. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

HI Guys, I just installed the aerostar coils in my '50 Ford today- used the Duralast '92 Ford Aerostar 2w drive front coils (pair) and I have Jamco dropped spindles that have been on the car for about 10 years.

Once I took if off the jackstands, I noticed it was lower on the driver side- and it is about 1.5" lower. I checked the coils and both are indexed around the ring inside the frame and in the right spot on the lower A arm plate with the end of the coil in the little trough...my frame is square...

I thought maybe the shocks would make a difference, so I installed the Monte Carlo shocks as mentioned in this thread and that didn't change anything either...

Had anyone else had any problems with their car coming out lopsided? Did I get a bum pair of coils, and if so, how can I check them?

thanks!

7. olosipu

olosipu

1.5 inches is a lot, either the top seal didnt set right, or the bottom spring is not in the groove. Both problems would be on the high side of the car. The way the coil springs are made makes it difficult for there to be any errors. Try driving it around a little bit and see if it doesnt seat better.

Clarification - You can always just look at the spring and compare it to how the other side seats in both top/bottom. Also driving it around will only put movement on the spring, it is not likely to come out or break anything, BUT, this is done with the assumption that it is only not seated properly. Make sure all of the bolts and everything else are properly in place. Sometime swe say something assuming the obvious has been done, so do all the obvious before taking my advice. If still in doubt, buy another spring, take the high side off and return it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  8. daddio211

daddio211

I think you're on to something, but I wouldn't drive it around to get it to settle. Take it apart and fix it first man. Do you have any pictures?

9. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Thanks, guys.

I'll post some pics.

Everything is seated and in the right place, however- I didn't use the rubber things on top of the coils. I will get some on Tuesday and try again. I will also try and swap each coil side to side and see if that changes things.

Also, I think these Aerostar coils just might be a little too low when combined with dropped spindles...so I may just ditch this set-up altogether.

10. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Here are some pics of the way it sits after putting the springs in last night, and a picture of the Chuck DeWitt Ford, which is exactly how I want mine to sit- a nice, traditional and not-slammed stance. If anyone in SoCal has a pair of good condition, original (unsaggy/uncut) stock '50 Ford front coils springs, I am willing to trade them for the pair of brand-new aerostar coils...PM me if so :)

Attached Files:

11. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Great tip. You should post this info on ProStockJohn's Merc parts thread.

Great pix also. I have a California 50 Merc and they use that lowering block on the lower A arm. I was wondering what old school feature was used to lower the front suspension. Now I know!

12. daddio211

daddio211

Man, I was at Del Mar last week and I would have swapped ya! But shipping springs back and forth would cost almost as much as buying new ones. :(

13. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

The Aerostar springs work bitchin'!:D

We put a set on a 55 Ford.

Asked the HAMB several months ago and someone steered us in that direction.

14. jugadro

jugadro

Is this a bad idea?
    My '51 Ford came with a front lowering block kit in the trunk (rear had already been lowered)... I was going to throw them in this weekend.
    I heard it was a decent way to drop since it doesn't affect spring/shock travel.

...but now i'm having 2nd thoughts.

15. Neo Edsel Rebuilder

Neo Edsel Rebuilder

Hey all. I am new to all this. I am about to switch out an engine, transmission and rear end from one '59 Edsel Corsair into another and want to lower it 2 inches. I live in New Orleans with bad roads, so 3" might be pushing it. The S-10 springs sound perfect. Is there a specific range of model years to look for, in case I don't go through Rock Auto?
    Thanks.

16. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks for this thread. I'm going to look at a 51 Ford this weekend and if all goes well I will be lowering it this way later this summer.

17. Ordered some rear 4' lowering springs Ubolts & bushings for my 49 Merc from St Louis Spring Co $357. Just want to say they are great to work with, got them in a week. Also the ubolts are longer just incase i want to put blocks in it later.

Anyone know what kind of shock to use with this set up?

Also going to get the Areostar spring & shocks soon.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  18. jugadro

jugadro

Do you (or anyone else) know if the same thing will happen with Fords?

19. jugadro

jugadro

I picked up my Moog CC850 Aerostar coils and Monroe 5821 shocks and it doesn't look like these shocks will work. Are the shoebox folks modifying the mounts? Or are you using stock shocks (Monroe 5751)?

Anyone?

Beuller?

20. I am running the Aerostar springs and the motorcraft front shocks ASHV990. In the back I am running "St. Louis" spring company reverse eye drop springs with 2 inch blocks and monroe shocks 32286 (I think they are for 61 Ford). My car rides as good as a new full size car.

21. jugadro

jugadro

I just finished up putting the Moog cc850 coil springs and Monro 5751 shocks in the ol' beater.

LOVE THE RIDE!:D

Looks good sitting pretty close to level now. I'm assuming as the coils set in she'll drop a hair more.

I ground off the rivets on the coil spring lower plate for removal/install... just in case I wanted to add the machined lowering blocks later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. cosears

cosears

I just did the switch with the aerostar springs on my 49 ford. everything stated was correct, the fit is perfect and really easy to do. Doesn`t get you in the weeds but the ride is just like when the car was new. DRIVES EXCELLANT. Thanks for the information, Absoulutely love it, when something actually works. Only took three hours and that included some Barley Breaks.

23. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My guess is that the same with would happen with a Ford, since you're shortening the overall height of the spring by a few inches, but then moving the two faces that retain the spring in place an inch farther apart. I cannot confirm this on a Ford though, but it's definitely the case on a 49-51 Merc.

24. looks like moog cc850 springs and some monroe 5751 shocks will drop a 49'-5? ford 3"? cool!

25. Glenn Harris

Glenn Harris

Hey BigO - Let me know how it went for your '52 Mercury. I want to "fix" the ride problem on my '53 Monterey. The prior owner did the cut-coil thing and the ride is unbearable.

26. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I wonder if it would work on a 52' Lincoln??? It has ball joint type suspension but I wouldn't think FMC would have made special springs vs. using something off the shelf.

27. manyolcars

manyolcars

You can read the first post and do the same thing to find out for yourself

28. tillerman43

tillerman43

Thanks for the info. I just went out and bought a pair for my 53. I can't wait to see what they look like when I put the car back together

29. chop32

chop32

Im about to un-airbag the front of my '49, I should have done this in the first place!

30. carnut341

carnut341

I put the Areostar shocks on my 53 Ford 2 years ago and they work great! I removed the old springs which had been cut 2 coils about 25 years ago. It rides like a new car now. Don't expect the new springs to settle very much and if you cut them, you'll have the terrible ride.