Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrysler M6 sounding like an angle grinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wilf13, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

Hello fellow H.A.M.B.ers,

after some tinkering I finally got my Chrysler up and running. Well, for the most that is.

I found someone put ATF in the M6 transmission so I flushed it twice with motor oil and then put in the correct 10w motor oil. The car now drives, BUT... The M6 sounds like an angle grinder!

Is this something fixable or something terminal? Could this be an electrical or hydraulic problem (partially engaging) or worn bearings or is this just the sound of almost no teeth left?

When flushing I didn't find metal parts. Then again, the tap isn't the lowest part of the M6...

To illustrate the problem here's a video with the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o373b-5l0M

Cheers,

Wilf

ps I'm not 100% certain it's the M6 itself. My first thought was the bendix but the sound comes from too deep. Second thought was the fluid drive but when listening closely the most logical place would be the M6

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It sounds like the starter not retracting but they usually give up and retract after a minute. Did this start suddenly? If it is the starter you need to take it out and clean the Bendix mechanism. Do not apply oil, that will fix it temporarily but make it stick worse later.

The gear grinding indicates the clutch is not releasing fully.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Could be something in the flywheel housing or even a bad water pump.

4. does not sound like the gearbox...maybe something in the clutch or flywheel area....get a mechanic's stethoscope and listen in all different areas...especially the clutch fork.

5. Its all fixable.Does the sound change when the clutch is depressed.you could run it for a minute without the waterpump belt to see if any change.possibly a through out bearing or pilot bearing.

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I agree with the water pump, sounds like a bad bearing or the fan bolts are loose. Some fans have rubber bushings around the bolts and these can make a similar noise if worn out.

7. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

Thanks for all the replies. To shed some extra light:

The sound comes from BEHIND the engine or at least at the back (so bendix or fluid drive coupling or clutch are suspect).

The sound does not go away or changes when i depress the clutch, when any gear is engaged or when the box is in neutral. First thing I'll do is remove the starter and see if the bendix is stuck. I smacked it with a rubber hammer a few times though.

The clutch pedal does responds strange: it has a lot of travel and after pushing the pedal down completely and then lifting my foot it does not give a lot of backpressure to my foot. When almost at the end of travel the clutch engages moving the car a bit with a jolt and then it stops, thereafter there's about an inch of travel left. The brakes on the back axle are stuck so when I want to move the car I have to press the gas pedal at least to a third or more to get the car moving. So the moment the clutch engages that small jolt that propels the car forward a foot or so seems to have a lot of torque.

I don't know if any of this can be related to said problems, I do hope it's just the bendix but I'm afraid it's somewhere between the engine and M6 (as the sound does not change under load or with clutch pedal pressed).

8. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

p.s. the sound is VERY loud, it's at least twice as loud as the engine which has a rotten muffler. I've never heard a failed water pump sound as loud ;)

9. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

I've been searching around and reading the Chrysler shop manual and suspect clutch chatter as being the problem. Because of the severity of the sound it could be broken disc facings or pressure plate or a loose disc facing, or it could be as simple as an incorrect adjustment of the release fingers or oil on the disc but I don't think that explains the excessive noise and the jolt when engaging gear.

Could this be a plausible explanation?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  10. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Throwout bearing? Does your car have "SAFETY CLUTCH" on the clutch pedal? Does this car have a fluid coupling, as does the semi-automatic with M6 transmission? If so, then the fluid coupling/torque converter may be bad!

11. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

Yes it has the M6 with Fluid Drive. The clutch pedal is extremely high set by the way. On the pedal there isn't 'safety clutch' printed on it though, but I have a DeSoto from 1950 which does have this and I recognize the box, it's the same setup.