Register now to get rid of these ads!

33 34 front raised/lowers 1" crossmember.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2-TONED, Jun 28, 2012.

1. 2-TONED

2-TONED

i thought i saw a direct bolt in / rivet in front 1933 1934 front crossmember available somewhere that lowers the car an inch in an unboxed original frame.

plenty of weld in crossmembers for boxed frames available.

anyone know where or if these factory styled 1" raised are available?

2. 2-TONED

2-TONED

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I haven't seen a commercially available crossmember like that. Usually guys cut the center of a stock crossmember and raise it up to drop it an inch.

4. 2-TONED

2-TONED

thats what ill end up doing.

5. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Anything is possible....I was going to utilize a Model A crossmember but found it much easier to cut/reweld a stock one with an approximate 3" altitude change.

Attached Files:

6. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I like the thought of raising the cross member to get the front a little lower. On the 33/34 Ford radiator you will have to have the bottom radiator hose connection raised a couple of inches to clear the new cross member.

7. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I am aware of two stock style type model A front aftermarket crossmembers available. One is the SoCal front crossmember and the second is available thru Shadowrods. This is the front crossmember to use if you are building an unboxed frame. Of course neither have the model A engine mount.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm gonna weld a flattened model a crossmember top into the existing '33 front cross member much like Kirk Hanning did. I don't want to drop the axle at all in that car but messing with the front crossmember is gonna cause me some thinking when it comes to the radiator's bottom outlets.

9. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

The crossmember is all 34' cut & rewelded for a higher spring placement. No Model A pieces were harmed in making this work :) I'd have to agree that it srews up the mounting of the radiator by doing this but if you have a rad made you can adjust it accordingly.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  10. Great info.
    Can I run a Model A xmember with the stock '34 radiator (Walker)
    Or how much can I move the center of a stock '34 one up?

-Shiny

11. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stock

[​IMG]

Inch and a half, which might be a little much. The bottom hose and the leaf spring pocket fight for space.

[​IMG]

I used a stock radiator for mock up, but I may have to rework this area when I get the new radiator, or possible move the bottom hose port up a bit.

-Abone.

29EHV8 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Interesting idea. Anyone got pics of a completed 33-34 using this lowering method?

13. Thanks Abone! That looks great! Moving the rad spigget wont be a problem if I have to do that.
    I need to find a front xmember as mine was cut up decades ago when it was hot rodded and was debating on puting a Model A one in it which I have, but think I would rather put a stock one in it.

-Shiny

14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the car that goes with the pics. It is in the mock up stage with most of the weight sitting on it.

[​IMG]

I did the same thing to this one.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

panhead_pete, 29EHV8 and Just Gary like this.
  15. I modified the front crossmember on my '34 to lower it 1 inch. I also had a 4" dropped axle and reversed eye spring. I put 14" wheels on it. When I got it all assembled it was too low and I had to add a 3/4" spacer on top of the spring. This is a picture after I raised it back up.
    100_7161.jpg

ss34coupe likes this.
  16. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

flamedabone, thanks for the pics. Here is a pic of my 34 coupe, has a four inch dropped axle and reversed eye spring sitting on 14 inch wheels. Front crossmember is stock and not altered. Don't think it could get any lower and be able to turn the wheels. Looks like the altered front crossmember works best on a fenderless car. IMG_1741 (1).jpg

Weedburner 40 likes this.
  17. I used a Welder's Series crossmember in mine with a 4" dropped axle, reversed eye spring and short [24"] tires. I bottomed out my shocks and had to add 3/4" spacer above the spring.
    Don't know of any bolt-in or rivet-in aftermarket cross members but after over 5 years since this was originally posted, I'll bet you've already come up with something. 34indaweeds.jpg

ss34coupe likes this.
  18. ^^^^So that's where the phrase "in the weeds" came from. ^^^