Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Valley Custom Bird

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. I've never been a thunderchicken guy. The '57 my Dad owned proved to be hard for a 6'4'' galoot like me to fit in, but I would gladly squeeze into this masterpiece. Utterly Brilliant!

3. snelson57

snelson57

That car does if for me...glad to see it has been preserved.

4. 1929rats

1929rats

It is an amazing car to see in person. I saw the car for the first time four or five years ago in a sea of '32, '33,'34 fords, willys, etc, at the Ty-rods show in Lancaster, MA. The car demanded your attention. Grace, style, and class. Still to this day, one of my favorite cars ever. Love the Merc Wagon tailights...

5. josh highley

josh highley

Not much of a T-Bird guy either, but damn! Great Car!

6. basicbob

basicbob

Super T-Bird with timeless look.

Dave is just a super nice guy, perhaps one of the most talanted "Hot Rod builders" ever.

Just google his name & admire his work, his work is second to no one!!!

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Best T Bird Ever.

I could listen to dave say "Cah" (Car) all day long.

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

9. All of the above comments times 2. I am working my Sunbeam over with hints of this car cause it is so cool (this and the Doane Spencer Sunbeam). It is one of the iconic T-birds.

10. John B

John B

Anything Valley Custom has always drew my attention and this bird is no exception.

11. jazzbum

jazzbum

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I would like to thank Chuck Vranas personally for putting us in contact with Dave to show this beauty to the hotrod and Custom masses.
    A very truly beautiful cah.

13. pumpman

pumpman

Damn, not a big bird guy, but that is just plain damn sweet!

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damnit Ryan! Just when I thought I could live with out the Jalopy Journal in print you have to go and drop contents like this on me?! this 'Bird and the couple that Doane Spencer put together are like major Hot Buttons in my DNA! Yes early birds are terribly uncomfortable to drive if your over 4' tall, but talk about glamor when your driving them! So how cool is evil glamor...

15. TRuss

TRuss

I've had a thing for this car since I saw it in the TRJ (#48 or 49 also has Rex Burnett story) with Jimmy Kings '39 that Dave built. There is a good photo of it along with some of Dave's other cars in front of Dave's shop in the front of that issue. There is also that Purple '34 coupe that I would like to see more of.

Anyway, it was a real nice surprise to see the t-bird in JJ#2. And this behind the scenes video is really nice. This is a great car and I can only imagine what it must have been like driving it around Burbank.

16. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

right-click

'save as'

"someday.jpg"

gorgeous.

17. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

I've always loved '55 T-birds, but this is the best one I've seen.

18. derbydad276

derbydad276

beautifull example of when cars were designed by visionarys instead of bean counters and lawyers

19. sophisto79

sophisto79

Thanks for that. It was fun listening to Dave Simard tell that story and add to the article.

20. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I have been out to Daves place once, early in the build of my 40 pickup. I bought a truck body from him. He was a very nice guy and a gentleman. I met him again just a couple years ago at the monthly Amherst NH swap. I was surprised that he remembered me!

21. catdad49

catdad49

Just finished reading JJ#2 and this interview w/ pics are a perfect addition. Wish I could put them together. Thanks again, things like this keep the fire burning. Cat

22. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I had the pleasure of filming Dave for "A Sweet Sickness" (the flathead movie I shot, for those who don't know) and he is one of the most modest, yet highly talented guys I have ever met.

I was looking at the work going in his shop with my mouth open. I'm talking about chopped cars in bare metal where everything from the bracing, to the welds inside, where no one would ever see, were perfect.

The cars I saw didn't look like somebody chopped them, they looked like they came from the factory with a lower roof line. Truely a master of his craft, and a really nice guy.

23. customcory

customcory

Just reading a little R&C this morning, showing Valley Custom putting the licsence plate surround in the front bumper.

24. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Yeah that Bird is bad ass! If I ever get my hands on one it would look a lot like that one. Thanks for history.

25. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

The Bird is nice and Dave is one of the best if not the best metal men in the country. He has the eye for perfection and the talent for execution.

26. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Love the car......... but not the wheels.....cool ride.

27. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I have had that car in my screen saver rotation for a few years now. It's the only t-bird I have ever liked. Im not a t-bird guy at all. Now I know the story behind it. Thanks.

28. pitman

pitman

First met up with Dave in '71, he had built a 30-31 2-door w/a SBC. Nice straight build it was. We cruised the Fitchburg area of northern MA, many good memories of those early days.

29. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Sweet Thunderbird, great story to hear on the phone call...

30. A favorite!
    However, the text in JJ #2 is wrong concerning the taillights. They are from a Mercury wagon, not a Ford. Merc wagon taillights is a classic use on custom 55-56 Ford's and T-bird's...