Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '59 El Camino - 8-13-11 - It's Finally Done

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemifarris, Sep 2, 2010.

1. 60 ford

60 ford

Your El Camino is perfect, its truly inspirational.
    Kevin

2. 77salon

77salon
    from RI

that thing is real nice, 59's are my favorite year.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

VERY NICE. wondering if they had in dash AC in 59? I parted out a couple of 60 El Caminos, and one had the in dash AC. the AC one also had a "positraction" emblem on the dash..(no posi out back) I should have snagged that before I sold it, that one I removed the AC and some trim and sold as a roller. it was ugly, but too complete to part out, even though I would have gotten 3 times as much for it in parts.

4. Your el Camino is about as perfect as it gets, very nice job on it.

5. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Very nice well done job, congrats ........be proud :D:D:D

6. That has to be one of the best, straightest beds I've ever seen on any Elco.....great job!.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  7. mj40's

mj40's

Best use of color! The interior is rad and love the injection too. Some say black is not a color but you nailed it.

8. hemifarris

hemifarris

Yes, '59 did offer in-dash factory air conditioning. Back in the 50's, dealerships offered many GM produced accessories as a way of their dealers making extra money. My '59 had the Chevrolet Cool Mate underdash unit installed at the dealer at the time of its delivery to the owner................Mike

9. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. chevy59409

chevy59409

Nice !!!!!!!!!!!!

11. hemifarris

hemifarris

Thanks Cody. That's a compliment coming from you. Sorry I took so long to reply but I haven't felt well lately. Your wagon is coming along nicely. Please keep on track with your build and don't cut corners just to get it done. It'll be one of the nicest around if you keep up the great work. ......best of luck, Mike Farris
    P.S........I also compliment Jay Fishbeck and NADS as well. People don't realize how difficult '59s are to do.

12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

good as it gets-fantastic job

13. hemifarris

hemifarris

Thanks Tim,
    I feel the same way about your cars...........If that F.I. part we talked about before ever comes up again, I'd still be interested. Take care, Mike

14. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Way to cool, and looks even better in person I bet. My hats off to you for executing this amazing detailed 59. wow.

15. SWEEEET!!! It sure don't look anything like the one I had inthe late 60s. I took mine where 4 wheelers dared go. Never once got stuck. Beautiful ride I'm envious:cool:

16. belair

belair

Great taste and vision. awesome car.

17. DAVEO!

DAVEO!

I WANT YOUR 59!!!!! car is so clean and just plane BAD ASS!!!!

18. hemifarris

hemifarris

'Mr.1961', 'DAVEO', 'belair', 'BURN OUT BOB'; Thank you all for the kind words. I made a few changes from my original plan, like the factory fuel injection and several other items, but the finished product is exactly what I wanted although it added about 6 months to the build.
    Thanks again for the compliments...........Mike

19. Clint59

Clint59
    from Australia

what a awsome 59 sex on wheels

20. deto

deto

wow man... wow...

21. hemifarris

hemifarris

Thanks Clint, I appreciate it.....Mike

Thanks Deto, I feel the same way every time I look at it even though I own it....Mike

22. Where on earth did you find the FI fender scripts?

23. mattlowe

mattlowe

its all ready to haul a load of rock for the yard!

24. hemifarris

hemifarris

I found one fuel injection nameplate, broken into 4 pieces, online for $600.00. The right and left side are the same. I had a company fasten the 4 broken pieces together and make new molds. They're polished stainless. Three times the cost but they're stronger.

The flags are left and right side only. I bought a left side flag with the bottom of the flag broken off for $95.00. It had been made into a money clip. I had the same company repair the left flag and had their artist make a right flag which was made into a mold along with the left side. They were also produced in polished stainless steel. These are the rarest emblems/nameplates for any Chevrolet as they are for '59 Chevrolet passenger car size only and less than 50 were produced.

I still own the molds and when I sell the El Camino I will offer these emblems/nameplates for sale. Needless to say, they cost me a fortune to have reproduced but In my mind it was worth it. "JAY FISHBECK" here on HAMB was a big help in finding the fuel injection nameplate........Thanks again Jay..........
    Take care,
    Mike

25. hemifarris

hemifarris

That was my original intent but I took a different route. Instead,I bought a '55 Pontiac 4 door and gutted the interior and trunk. This way I have more rock/top soil load capacity than my El Camino plus a roof and decklid to keep it dry while hauling. Not a bad idea huh? I'm always being asked to use my "Poncho" by my friends.......................Mike

26. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Holy Smokes... badest elco.. EVER!!

27. hemifarris

hemifarris

Thanks "gnarlytiger". I appreciate the kind words. I put a ton of research and work (NOT TO MENTION MONEY) to get it exactly how I'd pictured it in my mind.

Mike

28. Thanks for the mention Mike! I was thinking about you today, coincidentally. I have your number & need to call you sometime. You and Cody Walls, but I just never get around to it. Hope all's well(as can be, I know!)

29. I am still laughing out loud.. literally! After I seen his avatar, I lost it. Still laughing

30. hemifarris

hemifarris

Hi Jay,
    Feel free to phone anytime. As you know I keep my ringer shut off because of my health but I will always return your call........... Mike