Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gloss vs Faux Finish AKA Rolling Bones Finish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jun 23, 2012.

1. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Gloss vs Faux ?
    [​IMG]

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I hope that is a "Work in Progress'"photo, not what I'd expect in a finished Rolling Bones build. Bob

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  3. rollingbones 1

rollingbones 1
    from UPSTATE NY

After all the discussion on this topic,I didnt know what to do.................

No, really,I ran out of time,I painted the doors early in the spring,& planned on finishing the rest by now.
    But it will have to wait until this winter.
    No time, only 16 more sleeps until we leave for Bonneville!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. 46stude

46stude

Hahahahahaha. Now that was funny. :D

5. ... vinyl wrap :D

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

That new car deserves some study, at first glance I noted the wishbone ans chassis curve and thought it was a '33-'34, it's a '32, and there must be a ton of Rolling Bones subtile details under the bodywork.

7. This must be one of their "FANCY" cars....hahaha!

8. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

That's NOT a new car , It's Keith's 59 c y - block powered three window. Over the last ten years or so it's made a dozen cross country trips and raced both in nostalgia drags and on the maxton mile. Last winter Keith made her Bonneville legal and she ran 175 plus with a 175 limit. This past winter Keith made a few more changes like the nose , air induction ,removing door handles , frame covers , eliminating the louvers in the roof, building a three piece smooth hood , making the windows and windshield flush,adding to the fire system and a chute. He planed of painting it shinny black and waxing her but with building customer hot rods and building our 29 FXGR roadster he ran out of time.( it's all about cheating the wind AND YES WE KNOW HOW TO PAINT THEM SHINNY WHEN WE WANT TO ) We believe she's the fastest unblown on gas y - block in the world and Keith is looking to bump that 175 mph up - WAY UP.

9. Great point! Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

10. bonesy

bonesy

Good luck - it sure looks like it will cut the air!

11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

You Rolling Bones guys do a really fantastic job with this kind of finish. I've seen them close up and look even more convincing than the photos. Yeah, this type of thing is very speculative and I have my own opinions too. When done well...awesome. When done poorly...uhhh, not so awesome.

The only real danger with a faux-knee-phinish, other than becoming over done, is that the person thinks, "wow, this would be an easy way to make my car look legit". Wrong.

You guys build super cool cars, but y'all knew that.

Oh. It's SHINY not SHINNY.

12. Can't answer that one but I do know that if you have one ready for primer you are only a week away from shiney paint.

As much as I love the look for an old hooptie in red lead I cannot bring myself to drive one that way of I am building it from the ground up anyway. It is a good way to hide a shabby body though, if you capture a roller and just shove and engine in it and cruise it.

13. I am with this guy all the way....

14. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Of course we would NEVER take it out on the salt either.

Attached Files:

15. Master of None

Master of None

Nice talking with you guys in Altoona, Ia again this year. Still wish I had your not knowing witch totally bitchin 3 window coupe I want to drive today problem..... Soon as my son is able to see above my 34's dash we'll be making the trip with you.