Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: Binoculars for Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Jul 18, 2012.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

Mods, if this is too OT please get rid of it.

Every year we talk about getting binoculars and every year I start looking for some the day before I leave. Well, there's plenty of time for me to get some now - but I need input.

This isn't like bird watching, so I'll need something that I can use to see far off. A vehicle running the course could be a few miles from wherever I'm spectating from.

That being said, what would you recommend. I'd like to keep the prices modest. I really only would need them during Speedweek.

Thanks!

2. Willy301

Willy301

I suggest you plan on spending some decent money on them. I also suggest you look into Cabelas or one of the bigger sporting goods mail order companies. Gander Mountain is a good one as well. Bass Pro Shops will work too. I suggest buying a brand that also makes cameras, the camera companies seem to have better optics. As far as sizing for that distance, check with some of the other guys here, I still need to study up on the sizing stuff...

3. Join and ask on landracing.com. I sure you will get some good info.

4. nickleone

nickleone

Have you looked at the Salt Lake Craigs list?
    5 or 6 listed.
    Shop around.

Nick

5. NV rodr

NV rodr
    from Reno, NV

i take some 16x50 bushnells that I bought at wally world for $50.00 They are quick focus for fast moving vehicles. Work great. If I was to spend more money I would get waterproof ones.

6. Ole don

Ole don

I have some inexpensive 7X35's. They seem to bring cars in out of the mirage. For the really fast cars at the five, I dont think a whole lot more is a good thing, you cant find the car until its all over. Look, listen, imprint it to your memory. Of course then you need to go back every year, GRIN!

7. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

May I suggest a tripod too? The cars, at distance, seem to bounce around for me.

DW

8. Thats the wine late in the day Dan.:D

9. Go to Sportsmans Warehouse in Ogden (or SLC if you must) and take a look at the Bushnells in the $75.00 - $90.00 range. They are very decent without the price.

BTW - Nickleone,

Any where other than Utah a person looks on Craigslist. Here it is KSL, Craigslist is seldom used. It is a Utah phenomenon. Moved here from Texas and the only way to find a rent house was via KSL.

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks fellas. Yeah, yeah, I know to look at classifieds, however, it's hard to make a smart purchase when you're... well, not smart. :D Before I shop around, I have to get an idea of what to avoid and what to look for.

I appreciate the help, gents. Anything else? Any of you have corrective lenses? How do binoculars work for you?

11. I look through my binocs with my glasses up most times. Easier to get it to the eye and let the optics do the work.

12. Take a hunting rifle with a good scope mounted on a tripod. You might scare some people. Maybe not a GOOD IDEA. You can purchase everything at WALMART if you go this route. What do you think Tman.

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Send me your full contact info in a PM and I'll Priority Mail you a nice ($$$) pair of long distance binoc's to borrow... just send 'em back when you're done with them....but be aware you will owe me several beers...:) Larry

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Brent, I might be able to give you some basics to look for, if you don't take Larry up on his offer. I worked in the marine industry and sold binoculars when I worked in the retail end of the business.

You will see numbers like 7 x 35, 10 x 50, etc. The first number is the magnification of the binoculars. But the higher the number the harder it is to hold them still enough to focus. Some of the higher numbers need a tripod because your hands can't steady the binocular enough to see anything.

The second number is the size in MM of the lenses at the big end of the binocular. The bigger they are the more light they let in, but they also get heavier.

Coated lenses are on most binoculars but the cheaper ones are rated as just "coated", the better ones are rated as "fully coated". There is a big difference between a cheap pair and a more expensive pair, but you don't need to spend a fortune for what you are doing. On a boat where your life may depend on being able to see things far away it makes sense to buy a really good, waterproof pair. But for just watching races, birdwatching, etc a decent pair of 7 x 35 or 7 x 50 will work great.

I would go to one of the sporting goods stores and they will let you look out the window with lots of different ones to see what works best for you.

Don

15. Dunno, I don't shop at Walmart.

16. Bushnell, I have a very old pair of bushnells that go to 16X I believe and you can almost see the flag on the moon with them. Very good optics.

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow, Larry, super nice of you. I'm just nervous borrowing things like that because I wouldn't want to damage them. Plus, I may have "several beers" out on the salt and that wouldn't help my carefulness. :D I do appreciate it though.

Thanks Don and Beaner, I appreciate the insight.

And Tman, I'm with you. I'm not a Walmart shopper.

18. ems customer service

ems customer service

telescope has a stand and more mag, and cheap at garage sales

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

I was looking at a few "spotting scopes" online last night. That's the same thing, right? Just not for stargazing?

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any sporting goods store has a number of binoculars with a big range in price. I've got a small pair of Bariskas in the glove box of the truck just for checking cars sitting out in the fields when I spot one They wouldn't be too good for Bonneville though. 7x35 are pretty good all around units. I've got an off brand pair on my boat that work pretty good for the price I paid for them. I'd go to Sportsman's warehouse or Big 5 or what ever store is close and tell the clerk what you want them for and try a few pairs in the store. Unless you can afford them without worries you don't need a pair of Steiners though.

21. Brent, I have a huge spotting scope I can bring with shorty tripod (just remembered)

22. Remember the movie "Cannery Row". Nick Nulty studied fish and the derelicts bought him a telescope instead of a micro scope.

My brother had some binoculars that would take pictures. I never used them but he thought they were great.

They are probably available at Walmart and other fine retailers.

23. Ole don

Ole don

If any of the film companies are out there with a helicopter again, I know many people who will be happy to pay for amo if you shoot those loud suckers down. We dont spends a years fun money and two weeks of our lives to go there to hear a helicopter drown out a good run.
    Sign me "wants to hear the race car"

24. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Years ago I borrowed a giant pair of binocs. I laid then on the fresh waxed hood of my truck and shut the door and they slid off. They were fine except there were now twice as many cars as there were. Cost me $250 to get the only guy in the country that I could find to fix them in Virginia Beach Va. The moral of this story is DO NOT BORROW BINOCULARS for whatever its worth. Its cheaper to just buy a set or at least it would have been for me. These things were about 18 inches long and a foot wide & real expensive. I was happy to get off with $250

25. Do not forget a CB radio. Two years ago the race results were announced on a CB radio channel. I do not know if this has changed or not. They had a public address system too and I think they were the broadcasting same information. The public address system could not be heard at all locations on the site.

I was there two years ago. I envy the people that are going. It was fun and interesting plus a little sunny and bright. Sun screen and cold drinks are a must. The dog went through thirty pounds of ice per day and he stayed in the air conditioned car 95 percent of the time.

26. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

I suggest a spotting scope and a tripod or even a monopod if space and weight are a priority. A spotting scope has more magnification and since its flat on the lake bed, once you set your vertical you can easily scan side to side to watch the runs (with a tripod). Most spotting scopes have the option to attach a camera also. I have a window mount for my spotting scope that allows me to attach it to my truck window for spotting deer and coyote.

27. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm going to look into a spotting scope. I could see myself getting use out of that, for sure.

29. A Duece Bruce

A Duece Bruce

Hi, Bushnells are just fine. 7x is for the boat, waves make anything stronger too hard to hold steady, get a wide one, 7x50. 8x is for general, closer, bird watching. 8x35, small light, can stay on a bird in flight. 10x is for the bird expert,or the deer hunter,long shot, about the biggest you can steady by hand. Would work great on the salt flat. Anything bigger you need a tripod. I recommend 10x50 or 10x42. Spotting scopes are 50x or more, need a tripod, tunnel vision, but they might follow a speeding car with practice. You need the binos anyway. Try ebay. get a pair around 200$ you'll love them. B

30. ram-rod

ram-rod

the tri -pod advice is GOOD the bigger the power the harder it is to hold them still
    if you dont want to use a tripod at least take a wheat bag and rest over a hood or a door frame