Register now to get rid of these ads!

shutting motor off during break in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixbangr, Jul 19, 2012.

1. sixbangr

sixbangr

I was breaking in my new cAM/LIFTERS. Engine over heated after 8-9 minutes. I had to shut it off. Is this going to screw any thing up, or after cool down just cont. the break in?

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Nope, you can do it in segments. Put a big fan in front of it, that sometimes helps. But if not, just do it till it gets warm, shut off till it cools down, and resume until you get a total of a half hour or so.

Don

3. I have been known to srick a hose in the radiator as well.

In an ideal world you want to keep it going until the cam is broken in but there have certainly been more cams that I will ever see that have been shut down during break in and started back up without problems.

4. You may not have all the air bled out. restart watch radiator to see if it needs more water after starting.

5. sixbangr

sixbangr

thanks , i feel much better about it now. Figured this could not have been the 1st problem ever during break in.

6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are OK if you have to stop, as long as you still do a proper break in. If it were me, I would do at least 15 more minutes. I also had to do mine in two parts when I leaned over the engine and shorted my coil on my sweaty chest. (pretty picture, eh?)

Good luck, -Abone.

7. You'll be okay. It's more important to keep an eye on the temp, the rest as Beaner stated, can come in stages if need be.

8. I would be more inclined to think that it wasn't actually your chest. :D:D

hey can't stay over this year but plan on being there for the races, then off to tulsa. Maybe we can hook up for a minute after the races and before we head south.

9. As the rest said, OK to stop, but when you fire back up ensure to get the revs up quickly. A new fresh engine makes a lot of heat. Higher rpm increases the heat. No airflow from driving minimizes heat transfer. You can add a lrge fan to blwo into the radiator for some help, and even mist some water into radiator to help cooling so it will not overheat. Water will make a mess, though it is effective.

10. I WAS eating lunch :mad: