Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know what engine this crank is for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iamben, Jul 19, 2012.

1. iamben

iamben

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I found this crank in the cab of an F1 I recently purchased. The PU had a flat six in it so this is not the crank for the PU. Its not very heavy and the only number I can find on it is a big 40 cast into it. Anyone have a clue what its for?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. MGene

MGene
    from iv cal

a picture might help.

3. pila38

pila38

Ummm...Hmmmm....can't quite identify it. Nope.

4. Fits a big 40 engine... Sorry ,couldn't help it. Pretty hard to ID without a photo.

5. iamben

iamben

For some stupid reason I cant upload pictures on the HAMB anymore!!!! Had to link through facebook. Sorry!!!

6. pila38

pila38

Still really hard to tell, but looks like SBC maybe?

7. Willy301

Willy301

I see the pic, and it is hard to nail down without measurements and some further study, but my immediate guess would be sbf like a 289 or 302. The rusted condition of it may make it worthless though. I would worry that if it were turned, it would be beyond the minimum diameters...

8. cylhead

cylhead

The crank in the pic is a small block chevy,without seeing the casting nbrs. cant tell specific application.Post nbrs. and I will tell you what it fits.

9. 58custom

58custom

Rear flange looks SBC, not SBF. If it were Ford it would have more numbers on it. But it looks more like rusty garbage.

10. SBC probably not worth much. But you could send it to denise (hotrodladycruiser) she is collecting yard art.

11. pila38

pila38

I see both pics now. I would definitely say SBC now.

12. iamben

iamben

Its almost all surface rust as far as I can tell. I will look it over more at lunch and see if I cant find some more numbers on it. It may very well turn into scrap I just wanted to make sure I wasn't throwing something cool away!!!!

13. pila38

pila38

Ooohhh this fun...there's a new pic every time I post. Do it again, do it again!!

14. squirrel

squirrel

305? 350? I forget how the holes in the crank throws work...

15. iamben

iamben

Thanks guys. Not a Bowtie man at all so now I know what the cranks look like. This thing is going to turn into some Chinese tools.

16. MGene

MGene
    from iv cal

looks to be forged not cast maybe 400 ci.

17. iamben

iamben

It has 40 on one side of the crank and 1182 on the other side on the same throw and farther back on a separate throw it has GMT on it. The internet says that is a forged 350 crank. If anyone wants it they can have it, otherwise its going to China to make Harbor Freight tools!!!!!

18. squirrel

squirrel

19. Pretty heavy to ship but if someone is comming this way I'll take it. It can go on the shelf until I need to build another small block.

PM sent

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

1182 is a forged 350 crank (SBC). It's to far gone to be saved however. Paint it silver and advertise it as "rebuilt", or get eight more and make a huge windchime. Butch/56sedandelivery.

21. Larry T

Larry T

It'd probably bring a lot more than scrap price. But you would need to know if it had any spun bearings or had been turned before.

22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a crank in the shop right now that used to look like that. Bead blasted it and had it turned 20/20, looks brand new. I wouldn't be so hasty to condemn it to the Chynees smelter.

23. Doesn't matter it is a steel crank and is a good candiate to weld up and change the stroke. :D:D

What is important is if it is strait or not and even then a forged crank can be straightened in a press if it isn't cracked.

24. Larry T

Larry T

Benno,
    Yep, they can be welded and turned, but at some point you reach a point where the cost of repair is more than the crank is worth.

25. Looks like it's for a doorstop on a really big door.

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys crack me up. It's obviously for connecting the rods to so the fuel energy can be converted to rotating mechanical energy. Jeez, trick questions..........:cool:

27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the question is "Anyone know what engine this crank is for?" rather than "Anyone know what this crank is for?"

28. Well th welding can be done for my time, my neighbor is the crank man in a big truck shop and evidently his boss knows me or knows of me and said that we can use the shop on Saturday mornings of we want. For me it would almost be just time. I seem to be blessed with a lot of that these days.

29. Larry T

Larry T

Benno,
    That seems to be about the only way I can get things done now days.
    I think the last journal I had welded and crank turned was a little over a 100.00. But that's been quite a while ago.

30. I don't know how anyone pays to have an engine done.