Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hubcaps. Run em or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Jul 18, 2012.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Thinking of getting some hubcaps. I want a nice $200 pair of fiestas with extra fins. On a driver custom, would you guys drive with the caps and pop em on when you get to the show? Would you use cable hubcap locks like Cal Custom used to make or just run em? I'd hats to spend the money on em and have em fall off, get dinged or swiped! Any thoughts appreciated!

2. birdman42

birdman42

Not much on caps, but if you are worried about them keep them in the trunck until you get there.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

this is going to sound stupid but after having a lot of trouble with caps falling off of my '52 I finally decided to silicon them on and from that point on they never came off again. If I needed to get them off a little razor blade would peel them off but the silicone ensure they were on for the long haul.

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

Fiestas aren't hubcaps, they're wheelcovers.
    Put 'em on, and drive the snot out of your car. Put a dab of silicone on 'em, if you're worried about 'em popping off....

5. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Ditto on the silicone. I put a little dab in 4 places - run them over bumps, railroad
    tracks, whatever - no problems.

Pay no attention to the avatar photo, I've been running Lancers for several months now.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh good, I thought I was gonna be the only crazy one that suggested silicone.

7. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I'm going to run them. I like the idea of using the silicone.

8. Mercchev

Mercchev

Silicone works like a champ

9. I had to pound my fake Lancers on, but I still lost one on a road bump. Never heard of silicone, gonna do that before I loose another $50.00 wheel cover!

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

11. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

You would be better off finding a nice set of original caps off of something, they will stay on a lot better than those crappy aftermarket ones and they will be stainless. From my experience the chrome aftermarket caps are junk the first time you get them wet if they don't fall off before then.

12. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Dogdish, the ones I'm getting are original with extra fins.

13. wallyringo

wallyringo

what car you putting them on? 15 inch wheels? allot of cool hub caps out there. When i was in high school here in S. California I would drive my friends and I and go party in T.J. I would park my 66 Mustang (highschool car) at the border and put my hub caps in the trunck. haha and pop them on the next day.

14. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Painted wheels hold caps. If you dont like them just take the off.

15. In the two years of owning my '56 I have run everything from rare old '50's wheel covers to new re-pop Made In Thailand wheel covers and I have never used silicon or anything and never had one fall off. My car is my daily driver as well and I hit speed bumps and pot holes pretty fast and I have never had one fall off. I have also parked my car in some of the worst neighborhoods all over the States and Canada and have never had one stolen. As long as the wheels are painted or powdercoated you should be fine. Stick 'em on and drive the shit out of it. Kustoms need wheel covers!

16. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

I like caps and covers on the right kind of car. Just adds the final touch.

17. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I'm getting them for my '54 Chevy 210. Looks like it's going to be original '55 Olds wheel covers with 8 fins each. Just painted my steelies red (don't care what people think) and gonna be running white walls. After that, finishing up my interior and adding AC and air ride will make this my DREAM car... :D

18. U-235

U-235

I think painting your wheels red is what most people on this board agree with.

19. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

U-235, you'd be surprised. When I originally asked what color I should paint them, people said "PLEASE don't paint them red" and all kinds of stuff. I don't wanna be like everyone else. I want to look GOOD like Moonglow and other cars back in the day did. :p

20. lowstrung

lowstrung

red wheels are for farm tractors

21. 41 C28

41 C28

Silicone is good for holding chrome trim on too.

22. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Dont sweat the small stuff.

23. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

The stainless on the driver's side rear window corner on my Chevy was siliconed on when I got it, and now, 10 years later after I found another piece, It's back on with silicone :D

24. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Says the newbie.

25. wallyringo

wallyringo

nothing wrong with red wheels

26. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Do you have a picture of them wheel covers? Never heard of '55 Olds covers having 8 fins? :confused:

27. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Someone added the fins. It was popular to do back in the day.

Attached Files: