Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My 34 roadster....sorta

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clark, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Pete

Pete

100% good stuff!!!

Iv always wanted a 33-34 roadster.....Iv been contemplating turning another pile of 3 window pieces into one????

2. Do it!! :D

3. magic martin

magic martin

what are you gonna do with the bent up roof im interested in it for my customer he's putting the roof back on his 34.. as someone made a coupester out of it in the late 60/70's,,,,, Magic 425-870-4454 cell,,,,or at my shop Street Rod Visions 425-774-4594 mon-thurs 7:00 5:30 thanks alot kool build and i like the salt lakes looks

4. Clark

Clark

Kevin...Thanks!!

Pete start cuttin!! might be better to do a cabrio out of the 3 window parts. I think the door length on them was the same or close. I think the 5 window door is 1 inch longer than a roadster.

Martin....sorry. the left overs are long gone.
    Clark

5. Gonna look good, love them 37 grilles.

6. Clark

Clark

While I was working on the roadster cowl area, Jr (fatabone) mounted the master cylinder on the firewall for me. Of coarse with the firewall on an angle I had to recess the bottom a little to get it to sit level.

[​IMG]

I started off doing the corners of the roadster cowl. By the time I took a pic I had the jam done and started on the windshield posts too.

[​IMG]

Then I clecoed a flat piece of steel down and hammered the edge over the tubing. It worked better than I thought it would. Used a rubber mallet and took my time.

[​IMG]

Next I had to put a bump across the cowl for the windshield seal. Not sure how an original is but I came up with this. It took a couple of tries with different bead roller dies to get what I wanted.

The front edge is a sharp step that tapers off.

[​IMG]

That's all I've got for tonight. I got it tacked into place but have a lot of welding and grinding to do.
    Clark

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Clark

Clark

no6....yeah I've got a thing for 37 grills. This is my second car with one and I've got 4 more waiting for thier turn :)
    Clark

8. looking good Clark.

I saw this on ebay thought it might be handy as reference.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Clark

Clark

Jimmy...thanks...from the looks of that I coulda just used a large bead die. i like what I did better. Only thing is you'll never see it unless the windshield is off.
    Clark

10. Pete

Pete

Goddam that looks good!!!

11. cseay1949

cseay1949
    BANNED
    from Elkwood VA

Nice build. Love the Y-Block .. never owned one myself though, had flathead then FE's kind of skipped over the Y-Block .. would be nice to see one done right.

Are you going to narrow the 37 truck grill? I always thought Jim "Jake" Jacobs coupe with the narrowed 37 truck grill had a look that was "just right" and gave it a whole new character.

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

13. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Not that you need any, but heres some more inspiration. I love the 37 grill treatment myself.
    Keep her going Clark, you da man!!!

[​IMG]

14. super cool build!!! are you planning on thinning down the doors? or did I miss it? anyway looks great!!!!

15. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Glad i found this thread. Car looks great! Can't wait to see the progress and learn some new stuff!

16. Clark

Clark

Got the cowl/dash areadone today. I'm really happy with the way it came out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Clark

Clark

Then I wanted to try out an idea I had for the doors and quarters. I started with a little homemade jig made from a peice of angle iron and some round stock....never did check the size ,just went with what looked right.

The first test peice I bent I didn't like. The lip was too deep. I wanted to change the jig but Vonbirch said just put a peice under it.....he was right. A peice of 1/8 inch strap steel curred the problem.

[​IMG]

Here's the peice clamped and bent in the jig.

[​IMG]

Then I made a T bar. The pipe was the perfect size so the flat side could rest against the one side while I hammered the other side. What you can't see is before hammering it over the T bar I streched the edge a little to give it a curve like the body

[​IMG]

Here's the finished product. The corners are from a set of repro quarters that were used to fix a coupe....ironic. The quarters were thinned 1 inch. I only did the first couple of inches. will have to do the rest of the jam once I do something with the upper hinge. The cut line goes right through the screws.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    Elvis100 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Clark

Clark

Drod...that car looks like the same car as the 180c both have an external radiator cap....and overall proportions.

skatermann....yeah only the back of the door. I want to use the stock door latch up front and the way the door top rolls in allows the front to be stock width.

cseay...yeah it's already done. it's in the mock up pics but not a good shot of it.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice work! Looks like there will be a lot of '33-'34 Coupe tops in the flea markets and classified ads within a few months. Bob

20. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

A wood kit would have straitened that roof right out!! hahaha.. lookin good man!

21. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

having a/c in the shop is a must ! cause that is lookin' hot ,you guy's are rollin' right along , i got to stop out for a bag of that a/c !

22. fatabone

fatabone

The a/c had a slight malfuction this afternoon but I think I have it back up and running!

23. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

Damn it! I have been trying to think of how to reproduce door jamb parts for my 29 Essex coupe by using a brake. You come along and knock out a simple jig and Walla! Door jambs!:confused: Yup. My wife is right. I am dumb!

Oh, nice work too by the way!

24. Love your vision, and ability to make it happen, awesome, and appreciate the effort to share your detail here, keep at it, hope to add the grill detail to my 34 3 window, so keen to see how you go trimming and narrowing there (although at this rate you'll be done and dusted before I can find one since they seem to be superglued to peoples shed walls:rolleyes::cool::)).

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

25. Nice job Clark. You gonna be out at B-ville in a couple of weeks?

26. I should just give all my sheet metal to you after seeing such outstanding metal work :eek: Seriously, the direction of the car, the cowl fab, and genral workmanship is inspiring; keep us fed with details and pictures please. Now I will finish my sandwich and go finish my alternator bracket! :D

27. Clark

Clark

curbspeed....no Bville for me ...maybe next year.

Drewfus....I did the grill last year. I wanted to do something for myself on my birthday and the grill fit the bill. Thanks for the compliments.

Thanks everybody.

Clark

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Love all your builds Clark.

29. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Damn that is some nice work!

30. Clark

Clark

Cut the windshield 1 1/4 inches and mocked it up to the angle I want. Had to put the grill on to make sure it looked right. Also started to make my stanchions.
    Clark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012