Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spring behind question for Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Schmidy, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Schmidy

Schmidy
    from Minnesota

I want to run a spring behind on my model a sedan with a ford 9 from a 57 ford but I do not know which spring is the best, from 1932 to 1948 ford rear springs? I did some searching on this and I more confused now than when I started. I love the spring behind look just don't know which one to start looking for. Any help in sending me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Josh

2. Schmidy

Schmidy
    from Minnesota

Or am I looking at running a front spring form a 37 to 40 as a spring behind for a model A?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  3. Lucky77

Lucky77

Are you using a model A chassis? If so you're going to have to do some lengthening of the chassis so your axle ends up centered in the wheel well. Model A's had the spring above the axle.

4. 117harv

117harv

Model T rear spring is the best looking imo. The T spring is 2" or so lower than the model A spring. You could run a front or rear out of a 35-48 car, the front being the most commonly used. With the later springs you probably couldn't use the A rear cross member as it is too high, you would need to use a later cross member or fab one as well as moving it back as mentioned.

5. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

My buddy has run a '40 front spring with a spring behind setup on the rear of several A's.

6. Schmidy

Schmidy
    from Minnesota

Yes I am going to be using a Model A chassis with a 32 front cross member and I figured I had to lengthen it for the spring behind but I was unclear which spring to use for the rear. The car is a 29 sedan, full fendered, and I also wanted to run a 32 style gas tank with the spring behind but I am also unclear if that will work.

7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I'm.running a 37-41 banjo in my A pickup, The spring centerline/rear crossmember had to be moved back 7-3/8".

8. Schmidy

Schmidy
    from Minnesota

Thanks for that information. Is the 37-41 a front or rear spring?

9. bobscogin

bobscogin

Running a '35-'40 Ford front spring on my spring behind crossmember set up.

Bob

10. Schmidy

Schmidy
    from Minnesota

Do any of you fellas have any pictures of your model A spring behinds?

11. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

There are a few build threads on here with a spring behind the axle setup on a model a frame. This first one's a good one.

Time for another Model A coupe build thread

Hotrob's fiasco of a "Model A Coupe" build thread

Poboyross's Model A Build: "Faux'dster"

I'm sure there are many more, you just have to learn to use the search.

Mine is a '69 Bronco 9" hung on a '40 front spring with Pete and Jake brackets, but it's on a '32 frame. The Pete and Jake brackets measure 7 1/2" centerline axle to the centerline spring, same as my '40 Banjo with stock hangers...

"The Kid's Coupe" A Deuce Frame For A Model A...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  12. Schmidy

Schmidy
    from Minnesota

Thanks for the threads. I have used the search but I think I am not putting in the right termnology. I will keep trying, I know this has probably been done I just have to find it.