Register now to get rid of these ads!

Im looking for any info on old drag car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jglimpse, Jul 18, 2012.

1. jglimpse

jglimpse

I am looking for any info on this car. It was the Higley, Hubbard, Werner drag car . My grandpa is Rich Werner, and Ray was a family friend for many years. I have been able to get a few pictures of the car from him. I've been searching the internet for quite a while and haven't been able to find much info on the car. I would love to find any info, pictures, parts, or info on what happened to the car? I would appreciate any info anyone has! I would be interested in buying anything from this car! Sorry for the crack in the color picture the glass is broken.

Thanks in advance for the help

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Uh its a T altered probably a fuel altered although it does not have the customary class designation on its flanks.

And you must have a big assed yard or a big assed house is the driveway in Medford and the pool in Diego? Which state is the servants quarters in?

3. skot71

skot71

Here's the pic without the crack, or at least the best I could do.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Ray Higley also drove FCs and fuel altereds under the name "Climax."

5. jglimpse

jglimpse

Thanks for the info I'm a rig welder working on a pipeline down here in SD living in my travel trailer. Home is in Medford OR. Here is a link I found with some info

Werner, Higley & Hubbard '23T
    361" Blown Injected Wedge on gas/ 480" Blown Injected Wedge on Fuel
    Dragmaster Chassis/ Torqueflite trans
    I don't have much to say about this roadster, that the pictures can't say themselves. This is just an excellent car. I also dig that it was competitive on gas and with a wedge to boot. Eventually the car received a bigger wedge and switched to fuel, but still was competitive against the big hemis. Absolutely one of the most beautiful race cars in this vein. TOP T!!!

from http://reverberateone8.blogspot.com/2011/09/top-ts-werner-higley-hubbard-23-t.html

Here are 2 more pictures I was able to find

Attached Files:

6. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

might want and try Don Montgomery's fuel altered book

7. jglimpse

jglimpse

Gasser1961 yeah I remember going to see that car run when I was younger with my grandpa and seeing Rays cars at the shop when I was younger

8. jglimpse

jglimpse

skot71 how did you find that picture? The color looks better than the one I have.

9. The wedge motor competed real well, you didn't get the psyc value of the hemi but you don't need psyc to win. They did well in fuel or gas.

I don't know much about the car other than what I could see from the pics, the drivers getup pretty much says fuel altered. I don't recall seeing it run when I was young but that doesn't mean that I didn't I just don't recall it.

The Ol' man raced Gas Altered when I was little up and down the coast.

Welcome to the HAMB.

Oh do you own it? Or is it long gone?

10. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

WCD, here on the HAMB should have some insight into this car.

11. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Sure looks a lot like Glen Way's altered, later the Groundshaker Jr. I think Gary Reed drove it.

12. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

WTF are you talking about exactly?

13. jglimpse

jglimpse

No the car is long gone! I've been trying to find out from my grandpa what happened to it but he doesn't have much info. Its a extremely unlikely i know but I would love to find the car.

14. It could come back or parts of it could. A few years ago one of the fellas found the body from the Ol' Man's car in Arizona. It last raced at Half Moon Bay in I believe '64. Ya just never know.

His location is Medford OR/San Diego CA pretty large lot if you ask me. He got it. :D

15. jglimpse

jglimpse

porknbeaner That's crazy his car turned up! How did it look after that long?

16. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Glen Way's Groundshaker was a Woody chassis.

17. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

The car is in Montgomery's book (page 78) no history after it was run by your Grandfather.

18. jglimpse

jglimpse

Gasser1961 I will have to get the book and check it out thank you

19. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i beleive it's in the jackson brothers bad boy altered tape no 1. most of the cars are from the '60's.

20. snaptwo

snaptwo

Jim Sorenson, mysterion.net has lots of history on "fool altereds" or contact pops or randy bradford. I only met Ray once at Boise and heard he later passed on. He was regarded as one of the best.

21. jglimpse

jglimpse

So I just got off the phone with Richie (my grandpa) I guess this car was originally built by Drag Masters for Roland Leong, where Ray Higley was working later down the road Ray bought the car from Roland. At that time Richie thinks it had a small block in it. They built a new chassis for it and built the front end (using a mix of parts, one identifying thing about it is it uses cut down VW torsion bars for suspension). This is just what he remembered off the top of his head and tell me in a few min also I'm forgetting some I didn't have pin and paper available while we where talking.

22. jglimpse

jglimpse

Also he said he has no idea what happened to the car when they stopped running it. He was focused on the climax car at that point

23. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

IMO, you need to sit down, prepared w/ a recorder, with your Grandpa and pick his brain for a couple of hours/ afternoons on the good ol' days of racing. I guarantee it will be a good time.

24. Like this. With my little brother rest his soul, the wheels were just some that we had in the garage. Basically just the shell.

Attached Files:

25. skot71

skot71

jglimpse, I adjusted the color in Photoshop. Best I could do without it looking funny.

26. jglimpse

jglimpse

Yeah I think I'm going to try and sit down with him and my gopro camera and as many pictures as i can find or then try and edit it down to be watchable, and Ill post it on youtube. I asked him if he can get hold of Rays family and see if they have anymore pictures. Ill have to buy a bigger memory card for my camera because once the cap comes off that bottle the story's wont stop

27. jglimpse

jglimpse

This is an idea I just thought off want to get anyone's opinion. If I was able to sit down with him or any of the other old school drag racers or hot rod guys and talk to them and record it or do it on skype, ustream.tv or youtube would anyone be interested in watching it?

elgringo71 likes this.
  28. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

project1320.com

maybe try this

29. Sure
    Everyone likes to listen to what an old racer has to say.

30. CGkidd

CGkidd

Hell yeah. I sit down every so often and shoot the shit with Jerry Ruth. Awesome stories and lots of knowledge.