Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are these 51 Mercury parts called?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48flyer, Jul 17, 2012.

1. 48flyer

48flyer

What is the name of these parts? I have heard them called "elephant ears":confused:
    They wrap around the front fenders on a 1951 Merc and attch to the parking light assemblies.
    I am looking to buy a set if anyone knows of any, But not sure what the actual name of them are. I call them grille extensions.
    Thanks,
    Todd

Attached Files:

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Grille end pieces or "elephant ears" is what a lot of guys call them like you said. I have never heard a proper name for them. Might try Owens salvage in the hambodex.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  3. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

In the parts book their called "extension[radiator grille outer]". Right pt. no. 1m 8376 & left pt. no. 1m 8377. Hope that helps..

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Hen's teeth is what I call them.

5. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

I've seen them refered to differently depending on whether they are a separate item or still attached to the parking lamp housing. If they are seperate they are a grill extension. If they are with the parking light housing they are sometime refered to that way. I see them on flea-pay now and then but they can be pretty rough. Some of the high end platers will repair the crusty ones but it'll cost more. Shallow dents & small cracks can be repaired too but just like the pitted ones, the more you have to do to them the more it will cost to repair. Nice NOS ones or good rechromes will really set you back. I've seen them go over 500 bucks for a decent pair ready to install.

I'f you have a bunch of bucks in your pocket give Bill Papke or Classic Mercury a call. They might have some in there collections of parts for sale.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  6. 48flyer

48flyer

Rotor, Thanks, I'll give them guys a call.
    $500 for a set ready to install is not unreasonable. I would think that with repairing a badly pitted set, one would have that much in chrome now days
    I got a set with my car when I bought it, but the guy who had it, took a regular grinder to the things. he removed the pits, alright. He destroyed the parts

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

No, no, no. You're supposed to complain that $500 is an outrageous price to pay. If you say $500 is reasonable, the next thing you know the price will be $650.

FWIW, I bought one with a fresh rechrome for $100 from a guy that had only one. Still haven't found the other at a REASONABLE price.

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Damn I sell things to cheap....

9. 48flyer

48flyer

Well, I was quoted $1200 for a set by one guy:eek:, so in comparison, $500 is a bargain.
    Still looking for a set:(

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah, that one side is the 'leader'. Merc parts guys all sell that one cheap...the other one is $1195.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah, that one side is the 'leader'. Merc parts guys all sell that one cheap...the other one is $1195.
    That's why '51 Mercs get DeSoto grilles.

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Call 'em "parts"........

4TTRUK

13. tejas34

tejas34

'51 was the only year that the "Elephant Ear" was produced.
    Priceless!!!! Just like '32 stuff.
    Some guys must think they are made of gold by the prices they ask.

tejas34

14. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

I've purchased a few over the years and the price is always highest at the parts dealers but chrome plating of die cast parts is getting up there more every year. If you take a crusty set to a plater and have them stripped far enough for a DIY guy to do the basic finish & fill with the Muggy Weld solder, the replate & polish will be all you have to fork out but them guys are getting proud due to EPA and other concerns. I really can't blame them either. The plating part isn't too bad but the polish work can be a nasty business.

15. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

might hit up Ether on here, i sent a guy his way for a pair a few weeks back, not sure he has anymore though...