Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Ford F1 Build S10 Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eghatch15, Oct 26, 2011.

1. ej67flores

ej67flores
    from phoenix

eghatch15 whats up man! Keep rolling forward man luv the pics and info currently im doing the same the but mine has a 98 s10 extreme frame. I cut and chopped the frame to fit cause it was a short bed ext cab. I havent fitted it under the truck yet but will be soon. I'm doing it all myself and will be posting a full thread soon. My goal is to be done or at least on the road by the end of this summer. Note my avator. Will tell my story soon stay positive people!

2. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

Love that body style of fords. keep it up, enjoy your new baby boy! Congrats to you and your wife.

3. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

Thanks ej67flores. Id like to see some pics of your truck. If you get a chance send some to my email. [email protected]

4. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

Don't pitch the frame and driveline. if you can tuck it away. You may want to change it back some day. I know you are thinking b.s., but style and tastes change. Good luck whatever you do with it. I bet your grandpa's proud of you for doing something with it.

okndnx likes this.
  5. Unless you have 1" backspacing on the rear wheels, the stock s10 rear won't clear a normal 48" wide bed.... you need a wider rear...

6. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

I am going to keep the frame, motor, and trans... Just in case. I am going to use a 4x4 s-10 rear end, it is 5 inches wider...

7. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

Sorry guys I sorta got off track with the truck. I bought a 1950 Plymouth as a driver and it needs some work. But I will be back on the truck very soon...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Looks like a pretty solid old Mopar.

9. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

Put that Plymouth on a Suzuki Samurai frame! :D

Just kidding with you. I think it's cool that you are building your truck the way you want. I've seen a lot of guys get mad and leave when others tell them they are doing it wrong. Way to stick with your decision. :)

10. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Nice build. I've got a Studebaker minitruck to some. S10 frames work fine and you can get parts anywhere for the suspension.

Good luck with the build. And good luck on your new driver.

11. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

Thanks Jimbacca your truck looks great

12. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

Havent gotten much done but here are some pics of the cab mounts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Bear-In-Aus

Bear-In-Aus
    from Australia

Great build mate! Loving the fact that you're sticking to your guns and going ahead with your own plan. Awesome way to stick it up the old blow hards :D

14. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

Thanks Bear-In-Aus

15. 1nos487

1nos487
    from east TN

16. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

I sold the Plymouth because I dont have enough time to work on both. So now its back to the F1. I should be able to spend some time on it this coming weekend. I will post when I get some work done...

17. msalamanca

msalamanca

18. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

i will have the cab mounted this weekend then start working on the rad support... I will post pics next week...

19. ...which one has the S10 frame?
    [​IMG]

20. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Both.

Jake

21. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

Take your time. Should work out nicely

22. nope, just the one on the left; the other has stock frame with a GM clip.

23. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

the red one looks great that is the stance i want with mine...

24. cobra_4

cobra_4

Great build so far! Love the story, my 48 F1 has been in the family for years so I can relate! I wouldn't worry too much about the S10 frame, I see alot of people doing it. If it can get a stance like the red truck on page four then I wouldn't worry at all. :cool:

P.S., here is my build if you want to check it out!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732091

25. I see a few of you guys on here bad mouth S10s. I can understand being opposed to S10 frame swaps, I'd tend to agree, especially considering what this site is about. But, out of curiosity: what, specifically, is your problem with S10s? And what would you offer as a better alternative?

They are probably one of the most part robbed vehicles ever made.... that would tend to make one think that the sum of those so often robbed parts is a fairly decent rig. I haven't found anything wrong with the ones I've owned, except for the one 2.2 I owned, and they last forever, they're just slower than hell.:rolleyes:

I'm just curious as to what the heck the few of you that dislike S10s have to dislike? They are what they are, and they're damn good at serving the purpose they were intended for, and much more.:confused:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  26. msalamanca

msalamanca

My daily driver is an 99 s10. It was cheap, and easy to fix. Runs like a champ, has some get up and go. I am perfectly fine with it for the time being.
    its not the size of the truck ;)

But I am thinking about doing this to my S10. So would like to get all the info as possible. Is it traditionalist? nope. Are f1s abundant? yes. Do I care about what others think that's negative? nope.

Keep up the good work on this build and in the words of Anthony Hopkins in Legends of the Fall "Srew em"

This post was a build thread, so if people want to come on and bash, then maybe we should go to your threads and do some bashing.

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      9 KB
      Views:
  27. I think you guys are missing the point. It's not S10 hate, IT'S MATH.
    Nothing wrong with an S10 I drive one every day. The problem is the track width. @ 54&1/2" it's 7&1/2 narrower than stock. This puts your wheels deep inside the fenders. If your OK with that then it's an excellent design. I think it looks terrible. But that's just personal taste. My Stude is sitting on one right now. The truck is very close to an F1 in width. I have 8&1/2" wheels with a 3&1/2" offset. The wheels are still deep in the openings. I won't ever be able to run narrow wheels if I go ahead with this swap.

28. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

This is why im planning on using 2" wheel adaptors.......... and a 4x4 rear axle... that brings the wheels out to almost stock width.... If you dont like it dont do it BUT DONT bash someone elses project..... Guys have been using s10 frames on the chev 3100 for years and done right they look great

29. As you can see, I am in agreement with you when it comes to the frame swap itself. I see many 48-54 Chevrolets with this swap, and they always look the same, too high in the ass end, and way too narrow of a track width. I'd never personally do this swap because I know that a custom suspension is easier and cleaner in the long run. My question was for people that say things like:

Just wondering what there is to hate about an abundant cheap reliable small pickup. If people take so many standardized and generally agreed upon "upgrade" parts off of them, you would think it would be difficult to badmouth the sum of those parts. Like I said: Probably the single most part robbed vehicle around... what's there to dislike?:confused: