Register now to get rid of these ads!

so the heater is shot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69f100, Jul 17, 2012.

1. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

not that it matters, we'll just not drive our f100 on the two cold days during the year:D
    but my question is, since the heater is toast (leaks, fan doesnt work and the cables are rusted closed) are we safe to plug the hose holes in the cooling system? the hoses are already cut in half and ive seen the whole hose being turned around, but will we still be safe just replacing the brass hose fittings with brass plugs?:confused:
    thanks!

2. Rogi

Rogi

Yes, you can cap them without issue. Just did that on my 55 Chevy pickup and have no issues with cooling.

3. subdajj

subdajj

What engine, it will matter?

4. What engine ? I've always made a loop in the system so the water continues to flow as it would if the heater were plumbed in the system. You'll get all sorts of different opinions here but that's what works for me on the small block Chevys. I run a by-pass from the intake to the water pump.

5. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Should not matter. SBC will still circulate with heater outlet blocked. That is what extra hole on driver side of water pump is for. The pump doesn't care if it is pushing it thourgh a heater or not.

6. if its a f/e like my 72 f100 i would NOT plug off the hose ends id run a looped hose

7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I could be wrong, but when the heater valve is closed you are blocking the water flow. So what difference does it make if you block off the outlets?
    Just my 2cents!
    KK

8. garcoal

garcoal

ive had the heater hoses looped back for over 7 years. someday i will rplace that heater core. if your engine was in a generator or stationary application it wouldnt have a heater. or thinking a non problem. 428 fe in a bird

9. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

its a 223 six cylinder, the 240 in my f100 is looped but kinked so im not sure how well if flows, if i plug it, should i fill in the holes on the inside to? so its like they were never there?

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Heaters were optional! You paid extra for a heater. Look at the old ads for cars in the 50s-60s and you will see R&H this was a big plus meaning that the car was equipped with a radio & heater. Cars worked very well with out a heater for years and years. No crazy hoses running all over the engine for circulation.

This is my 56 Ford with the factory heater delete plates. No heater....no problem. The looped heater hose deal was just a quick and dirty solution for a leaky heater core. It was hokey and ugly in 1963 and still is today. To me a looped heater hose told me that you were either incompetent or lazy. Yes I have done it in the past to get home in a pinch but it was fixed properly as soon as possible. Either the core was fixed or the hose connections on the engine were replaced with plugs. JMO

11. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

thanks! thats all i needed to hear :cool: to the hardware store

12. What Tommy said. Factory deletes didn't run a looped hose and it is butt ass ugly...