Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods QUESTION: Does Anyone Know 1938 PLYMOUTH FRONT SUSPENSIONS??? Need to RAISE a Car up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jul 16, 2012.

1. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I used motorcycle bulbs in my old 34 Airflow.They had the original style flange and 3 contacts.They went right into the original socket.I ran them for years till i sold the car.My friend who ownes the car now might still have the old bulbs.

2. moefuzz

moefuzz

Pics are for '37 and I think unchanged for '38,
    Pics are from a Plymouth Promotional short, video at end of this post.

'37 Plymouth leaf springs - front
    [​IMG]

"Engine Cradle" and limited view of tube axle..
    [​IMG]

Steering
    [​IMG]

rubber shock mounts at frame and engine are what gives Plymouth "Floating Power"
    [​IMG]
    ^^ Left Front spring kicker ^^ and -------------------------->> "sway eliminator" which is "connected directly to the front axle"

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oLBnWDroTdI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  3. moefuzz

moefuzz

btw, those "Spring Kickers" are noisy as heck once that tiny coil spring cracks and breaks (Grandads car/memories)

4. man that is a badass car.

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

Kirk,

This Article is for 36 and as stated earlier, frame and suspension was relativly unchanged (tube shocks added in '37, Tranny tunnel expanded as well)..

The 2nd page goes into detail on suspension.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope some of this helps out...

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

Wow, Moefuzz, thanks!

7. moefuzz

moefuzz

I think Desoto had 5 rib bumpers, not so sure about Plymouth, Can't recal seeing a ribbed bumper on Grandad's car??? The Desoto 5 ribs are what Brizios designed their bumpers after.

[​IMG]

If somebody's put a later motor in maybe they have cut and spliced -"modified" the axle already and that's what it sounds like from Kirks post

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  8. moefuzz

moefuzz

No Problem Kirk,

What are the plans for the new Plymouth and have you though of a name/theme?

What engine is in it? useable drive train or modify?

Btw, loved the pic of you and the little one working on the car......

-And wished you had never 'shed' May Cause Dangerous

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

Actually I wouldn't do much other than finish the interior and dial the whole car in functionally.

It has a DeSoto 330 Hemi and a Richmond 5-speed.

10. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Great looking car Kirk! You know what they say: Once you go Mopar.......... :)

11. farmer12

farmer12

Well said Rich.:D:D:D

12. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Kirk,

I had a car just like that one and loved it soo much. See pictures below. It had the original straight 6 with a T5 tranny and ford ranger rearend that was 2 inches too narrow unfortunately. It was a blast to drive. Anyway, knowing what the original front axle looks like and seeing how low that one is I doubt that it has the original axle in there, but I could be wrong. You need to get picts of the axle as it sits I guess (if you haven't done so already)
    Paul

13. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

That photo starts to make it make sense. I'm guessing he cut it near the perches, rotated the bend to point down and then welded it back up. Obviously it's never desirable to cut and weld an axle, but if that's where he did it it's better than outside of the perches strength-wise.

15. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Kirk! That car rules! I had no Idea it was a ride problem not a ride hight problem. Buy it!

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

If was to get it and could get it to ride reasonably at that height I'd be STOKED!

But being a goldchainer/sellout I want at least a tolerable ride :D

17. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

I looked at a 37 just like that before I bought my Nash it was "original" with the thin bias ply tires, & rode & drove pretty nice... my 38 Lafayette still has the straight axle & original shock, & rides better than my new pick up ( for comparision ) with the radial tires I added...

I think you should find out if it still has a straight axle... getting her up a bit shouldn't be much of a problem with either type of front end though... if it is stock, you just may need to bolt on a set of new or rearched springs, if it been converted to coils, a change of springs or they may already be set up as adjustable... either way, it should not be a huge investment to get her up a bit... I came so close to buying that 37 I drove... probably should have, even though I still really like my Nash

18. tuki

tuki

hi..that was my old Ply.i built it with my Dads help.i never posted it on here when i got it done a few years ago.i got it from a guy who started it in 1982.it sat in his basement for 25 years till i got it.he had the body on the frame but not running or any sheetmeatal on.i did all the bodywork, green laq paint on it unbuffed.i painted the wheels and headlights gloss black.i drove it 6v and ran the 201ci.put 37 Desoto bumpers which made the car.i wanted to keep them because theyr so rare but they looked to good to take off the car when i sold it.this is prob one of the most soild 38 Ply left.there is very lil filler in the car minus the back panel and under the inside the trunk.
    i see your main concern is the front end.its so low because we flipped the spring perch to the bottom.i wanted to use all factory parts as i was going for 40s mild custom.the back is dropped by blocks.the car rode nice when i had it.he Installled the Hemi which i was considering if i kept the car.only prob is i think it may be a bit heavy for that front end set up.i think all that you would need to do is add a few leafs to the spring pack and get the front up a bit.anyways the cars way worth the money in my opinion

19. tuki

tuki

i cant remember but i think we cut the axle and rotated teh bend to the front to clear the lower pulleys on the motor once was low.