Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fluid for 60 poncho tranny?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davey_shumard, Jul 17, 2012.

1. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

I have a 1960 Pontiac Safari Wagon with a 4-speed automatic trans. I want to make certain, before I make mistakes:D, which type of fluid should be used for this transmission.

So, if anyone would please lead the newb to the correct bottle of transmission fluid, it would save the life of an old transmission!!!

Thanks very much, in advance!
    Davey Shumard

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  2. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

The 60 Pontiacs had a dual coupling 4 speed automatic no overdrive.

3. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

ok. what fluid is the proper choice for that particular trans?

4. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

will this trans use just regular old ATF or is there something different that is preferred over traditional ATF? I just want to make sure I'm doing the best thing for the transmission.

5. I believe that's the same trans as a Caddy/Olds Jetaway, if I recall it uses Dexron IV....just search for jetaway or Cadillac hydramatic threads---the answer is there

6. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

I figured that they used Dexron from the factory. thanks so much!

7. repoman

repoman

Yes, they use the usual Dextron, but it will last longer with Type-F. Type-F (Ford) fluid shifts firmer also. GM decided to use a softer fluid for a more comfy experience. I also used F in old Hydros.

8. Never heard that before. Ran Dextron in mine, may have been Dextron III but usually the newer ones are made to be retroactive to the older transmissions.

9. I believe the original fluid was spec'd as Type A, which was replaced by Dexron, which was replaced by Mercon. So to answer the orig post question, just get some dexron/mercon fluid. Although the Ford Type F will work also as suggested, the old trans are a lot less sensitive to fluid type than newer trans. But don't use dexron/mercon in a Ford trans that requires Type F.

I used Type F in my drag racing PG with transbrake.

10. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[Yes, they use the usual Dextron, but it will last longer with Type-F. Type-F (Ford) fluid shifts firmer also. GM decided to use a softer fluid for a more comfy experience. I also used F in old Hydros.

QUOTE=rustynewyorker;7974246]Never heard that before. Ran Dextron in mine, may have been Dextron III but usually the newer ones are made to be retroactive to the older transmissions.[/QUOTE]

Dextron was the droid killed in an early Star Wars movie. Don't believe he was involved in any sort of transmission. Perhaps you're thinking of DEXRON. Regards, Ron

11. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

Thanks a million, i appreciate everyone's input!
    Davey

12. hotrodbill

hotrodbill

I use type F in anything old (pre 80's).

But they will work fine with the cheap-o Multi Vehicle fluids also.