Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terrible Tom, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Auction coming up this weekend. 133 cars. Thinking about putting in a proxy bid on one or two since I can't be there. One I'm thinking of bidding on is a 1948 Stude Land Cruiser. Looks all original, been stored inside, interior is pretty decent, has some typical Stude rust issues, motor appears stuck, but maybe not too bad. The reason I like it is that my Dad was a Stude guy and I think it might make a nice cruiser with some work. Clear title too. Talk me out of it.;)
    Tom

Attached Files:

2. i say go for it...i mean you need another project...i mean...yea you want it.

3. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

go for it !!! gotta love them stude's.

4. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Could you give more info on the auction ?

5. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I particularly Like that specific model of Studebaker. I think the '48 front end is the best of all the '47 thru '52 models and the Land Cruiser, having a longer wheelbase and body shell, is roomy and comfortable. I think it has the 245 cubic inch "Big Six" and that should be ample for general use.

Only you can answer the question whether you already have too many project cars.

Unfortunately for me, I am in that boat and trying to extricate myself....there are worse conditions to find oneself in though.....:)

Ray

edit. just went through the auctioneer's site.....lot of chaff, but some real kernels of wheat in there too........

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  7. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I like the one beside it too. Buy the damn thing Tom .
    B.B.

8. OK just to be the voice of insanity, they are a tank.

There are you sufficiently talked out of it?

9. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Yes, that 55 Olds is a nice car. It runs and the interior is very nice. Big buck$ I'm thinking.
    Tom

10. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Nope, but thanks for trying.:)
    Tom

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it all comes down to if you actually want it or it's just something that reminds you of your dad. Then it comes to the if you can afford it, have a place to store it and have the time to work on it. I'd put in my bid and go on my way and do what I was going to do and if I got it I got it and if someone out bid me so be it. It may be that with all the ragtops there a lot of the bidders will be spent out before they get to it and others are waiting for the rigs that are hoping to escape the crusher one more time.

12. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Kinda what I was thinking.
    Tom

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Tom:

You only line once and if this is something near and dear to your heart why not go for it?

This car may not mean much to others but to you it brings back some wonderful memories so you have a very special interest in this car.

Best of luck with your new project. Jimbo

14. I'm here to help, always. :D:D

15. squirrel

squirrel

The Olds next to the Stude gives the picture a "beauty and the beast" quality. I kinda like the beauty....

16. belair

belair

I like the Olds too. May be cheaper than you think.

17. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Tom, thanks for the info, & no I'm not wanting you Stude

18. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

You never know about Wisconsin auctions. I have seen stuff go really cheap and then again go for way too much money. A lot of people were looking at the Olds when I was there. There are a couple of nice old Fords too. The way it usually goes is, my item sells last and for too much money. I'm trying to decide how much to proxy bid. Seems that prices on these things are all over the place.
    Tom

19. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Well, I did it. I put in a proxy bid. The auction is this Saturday. Any Wisconsin HAMBERS going? Guess we'll see what happens.
    Tom

20. Tom
    I hope it works out for you.