Register now to get rid of these ads!

WEIAND HEMI WC3D 3x2 Intake manifold just sold for...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19Fordy, May 23, 2011.

1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

2. gtkane

gtkane

No kidding, WOW!

3. 73RR

73RR

Thats crazy...some folks obviously have waaay too much money.

4. patman

patman

I always shake my head in wonder at some part that sells for big bucks...plus $34.95 for shipping. C'mon...shipping? For that kind of money, you can eat the shipping.

5. Wesley

Wesley

if I had something like that I would not be able to sell it, I would have to build a hemi to go under it and a car to go around it!

6. Look at it this way ................. It takes two bidders.................. That means two people would pay that price.

7. George

George

one of those sold last year on a diffrent site for $250!:eek:

8. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

My conversion will perform exactly as that one...at less that 1/3 the price. And its brand new. Go figure. I guess because mine isnt "real". :D

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

10. Rob3865

Rob3865

Well that's crazy stupid high....but I will say this. I have bought from that seller before. I got an Offenhauser intake for a low deck Chrysler big block. The thing literally looked like it had never seen a bolt. He does great restoration work and ships bulletproof. I had no problems whatsoever. ...and no I ain't him or a paid endorsement. lol

11. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

It was 1 of 75 made...I kinda expected it to go higher.

12. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I was watching that one too, seems like you'd be a little undercarb'd on a hot street hemi.

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Attached Files:

14. oldestman

oldestman
    from California

I was told about this thread a few days ago and I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. I'm tripe2eat on eBay and I'm the one that sold the $1975 Weiand WC3D 3x2 on there.

The story about there being just 75 of these is true. There was a letter posted on the web that included a scanned, signed letter from Joan Weiand, Phils widow, stating exactly that. The site it was on is now dead, but I did see it with my own eyes two or three years ago. Mrs. Weiand handled all the paperwork for Weiand prior to its sale to Holley. In the letter, Mrs. Weiand stated that there was an initial production run of 75 WC3D's made. 74 were sold, and 1 was kept as a sample. The pattern was destroyed in a fire at there shop shortly thereafter, and the sample melted. That means there are only 74 of them that existed.

As I expected, shortly after mine sold, another turned up on eBay. It sold for $910. Why the radical price difference? Mine was close to flawless. The one that went for $910 had severe erosion at the water ports that had been repaired with JB Weld. From what I could see in the pictures, it had eaten over halfway through the mounting surfaces. I wouldn't sell an Edelbrock SBC Performer with a JB Weld repair, let alone a rare and valuable manifold. I've added a couple of pictures of my WC3D and the Edmunds early Hemi 2x4 I sold a few months ago as they will give you a pretty good idea of what these manifolds looked like when new. There's also a picture of the Edmunds prior to it's restoration so you can get an idea of how much work goes into these parts.

A big thanks for the kind words from Rob3865 and his previous purchase from me.

Attached Files:

15. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

For the record, I don't necessarily think the prices listed are out of line for rare, low production, out of production, N.O.S. intake manifolds. People pay over or close to a grand for used/patina'd cad intakes. Two grand for N.O.S. is reasonable.

You gotta spend money to make money. :D

16. jipp

jipp

you do nice restoration work.. no doubt!
    all these cool hotrod pieces id love to use on my next project are so far out of my budget. heh.. but sure is cool to see them on other peoples ride.. id rather see it going down the road than in a museum so lets hope the buyer has plans for it.

the conversion looks great.. i think i would paint it to add contrast.. or maybe polished to blend in.. shrugs.. thanks for sharing.. great idea.

17. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

I didnt see the first one but I did see the JB weld intake on ebay I was surprised it went for almost a grand with the damage. I'm saving my duckets for one of them TR Waters jobbers.

18. MODELAHEMI

MODELAHEMI

On the wc3d intake ,do you have to run the carbs all together or can you use progrssive on it?

19. MODELAHEMI

MODELAHEMI

Think it was for a boat,has hard slant on the carb base. Thats why i wanted to know if all the carbs had to run together. Can't seem to get the 331 in my a bone to idle on center carb unless i choke it some.

20. George

George

If you have 3 bolt carbs you're probablu undercarbed, muchless running nonprogressive, unless you drilled it for modern 4 bolt.

21. That's caddy 4x2 manifold it super bitchin

22. I have a WC3D and it's drilled from the factory for 4 stud carbs. My intake is very nice it just looks like rat rod perfect. I started to clean and restore it, but decided to leave it alone. Thinking of selling it in the near future. Tom

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      320.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      236.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  23. Here's another photo of my intake.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      377.9 KB
      Views:
  24. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I don't care what they sell for, and I'm not calling anyone a liar, but the idea that Phil Weiand's widow is gonna know how many intakes of one particular obscure variety were made is ludicrous. That she would then take the time write a signed letter to that effect is even more ludicrous.

Last, even if she did, we've all learned that if you take an 85 year old person and ask them about what happened 40 years prior they will tell you whatever you like.

25. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Where can I buy this and for how much dough?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. dan31

dan31

if she was the office manager,she should know.im sure a company like weiand keep records,sales orders,ect.afterall they weren't running a hot dog stand.

27. sold

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  28. My intake has been SOLD

29. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Can anyone tell me why that manifold had such a low production I heard one story and it makes perfect sense

30. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Is anyone still talking about this manifold ????
    Which carb is the 4 bolt made to use ???

Attached Files: