Register now to get rid of these ads!

A new eBay scam in progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blownolds, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I discovered this same "seller" last week sometime. The tip-off then was that there were two "sellers" (both with zero feedback, imagine that) that had the same big list of IDENTICAL items (identical auction descriptions and identical pictures). Plus the fact that all items were high-dollar, and it is HIGHLY unlikely that the "seller" would actually have all this stuff up for sale. There was also the thing about the seller's location being in London and New York-- that is just plain weird.

I had also noticed at that time that the bidder's identities were being kept private. What this means is that nobody can write a message to the bidders to tell them to BEWARE!

I reported both "sellers" to eBay and they got booted. Now, it seems the same scammer is back at it again under a new user name.

This time the "seller" has not duplicated their auctions, but has the same list of expensive goodies up for sale.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrtsZ0QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZdianner271

I feel sorry for the one bidder that has a bid in. Nobody can contact them to say "look out". I have contacted eBay again, and hopefully they'll yank the guy again. Who knows. Beware of this kind of seller, folks.

It would be great if a few folks here would also report this guy. It is done under the following series of steps:

ebay.com
    "community"
    "security and resolution center"
    "report another problem/report problem"
    "report problems with other eBay members"
    "fraud concerns for buyers"
    "report a listing you think is fraudulent (you didn't bid)"

THIS MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Somebody must have reported as all of the auctions have been taken down.

B:eek:B

3. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Wow, eBay is quick on that! I reported them right before I posted this. Good thing eBay is on the ball-- on a weekend even! Good for them.

4. Rand Man

Rand Man

I've got three e-mails from "ebay" in the last 24 hours wanting me to comfirm my identity info.

5. AusRodder

AusRodder
    from Brisbane

Hey Rand man.....take a VERY close look at those requests.....I made the mistake of giving all my details,including credit card details,before I found out it was a fraud.....I e mailed E Bay and was informed that there is a lot of that going on...I thought it was a bit odd that E Bay was asking for pin numbers etc.....I ended up forwarding that e mail to e bays spoof e mail section...the easiest way to find a bogus e mail from them is......down the bottom of the screen,there is a couple of highlighted "links" u can click on....move ya mouse over these and if u cannot click them,u have a bogus e mail.....I went ahead and entered all my details ,then being suspicious,checked it out a bit closer and realised I had just given "someone" all the info they needed to rape my credit card.....cancelled that card quick smart and had to be issued a new one
    PLEASE BEWARE!!!!!

Hope this helps

6. I used to get those,wanting to confirm the details of my account,

before I ever registered on Ebay ! :eek: COMPLETE scam.

7. I rec'd three diffrent ebay notices in the past week asking me to re confirm my ID #, address and visa etc. That some one else was suspected of using my account. I was hesitant to confirm this so I contacted Ebay and sent them copies of the Emails. They returned info shortly there after stating that this was not from eBay and that they where in the proccess of forwarding to the proper authorities. So everyone watch out.

8. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

Now if they would only do something about all those assholes that end their auction early if the item dosen't bring enough!!! :mad: I've wasted more time watching & bidding on these than anyone could imagine! I always report them; like the times I got ripped off, egay seems to do nothing about it. The was a tire store (gawheelman) that did this with SIX auctions for wheels & tires this week, claiming the auctions were ended early because the items were "lost or broken"! They're on Buford Hwy. (I'll get their name) - I'll never buy ANYTHING from them!
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

Since I gave up hope I feel much better.

9. Shoprag

Shoprag

my bank account is so overdrawn that when they scammed me the bank asked them for a deposit. LOL

10. I think they still want people to forward those to "[email protected]", they will send you a letter that says they appreciate your help...I don't know if they are really doing anything about it or not....it's not like there really is much they can do to someone using a server in Vietnam or China to send the scam to every e-mail addy they can get their hands on....

I get several of them per week....

11. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I've gotten three emails in the past two weeks asking me to "reconfirm" my paypal account because there was some suspicious foreign activity. Problem is: I don't HAVE a paypal account! I forwarded the email to paypal and they replied that it wasn't them.

12. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

He's at it again! Unbelievable!

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrtsZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZschofielda132

Some of his auctions say "New York/London" and some say "United States" for the location, but with "registered since Aug. 1 in Canada"

I reported him again, hopefully eBay boots the scammer again. I will keep reporting this scum until he gives up. I rely on eBay for my income, and this stuff is BAD FOR BUSINESS!!!

Maybe someone in Canada should bid on an auction, win, and have someone on the other end go "mess" with him wherever the mailing address is...

SCAMMERS MUST DIE!!!

13. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

I got the whole confirm your details email too. But this must not have been a mass produced one. They actually sent reminders to me and finally a notice saying that I would lose my account if I didnt re-enter my info with them. Good thing I didnt.

14. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

You guys are talking about an entirely different scam. The one I started this thread on has to do with someone pirating pictures (and possibly descriptions) from previous high-dollar auctions, and then offering a whole slew of them at a later date. Only they don't actually have any of the merchandise, of course.

15. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

WOO-HOO!! eBay is taking this scam technique seriously!! It's in the wee hours of the morning, and it only took about 2o minutes for them to yank the scum. RIGHT ON!!!

16. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

They refused to do ANYTHING about the asshole that ended his auction early 'cause the '33 Plymouth frontend didn't bring enough money!!! This after I sent them his email to me WITH THE FULL HEADER AS THEY REQUESTED saying "I might just haul them in for scrap iron?? or take them to a swap meet? or cut them up for parts? maybe just put themback into cold storage??" if they didn't bring enough & THEN ended the auction early 'cause "The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."!!!! I also have not heard back from them on the tire dealer that ended SIX auctions claiming "The seller ended this listing early because the item was lost or broken."!!! How the hell do you "loose" or "break" SIX sets of wheels & tires???? I watched these for a fuckin' WEEK trying to get a good deal on a decent set of wheels for my Dodge truck & my ZX.
    I'm just about OVER trying to buy ANYTHING on e-fucking-gay!!!!
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

Pardon my driving, I'm reloading.

17. outkast

outkast

be very careful on giving out any info to the so called ebay police? these are scams to to get your account numbers and passwords, ebay doesnt ask for that info such as passwords or bank accounts so if you get one who does just delete it asap!!!

18. 5window

5window

Yeah,I got two very eBay looking requests the same day. Little security assurances-everything looked legit. Except that they used my forwarding e-mail address instead of the address I use on eBat. Still, it looks so real and sounds so realistic that porpbably thousands of people fall for it. I always check my eBay account-always seems fine sao I just delete the requests. But caution should be the watchword.

19. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I do alot of Ebay stuff for work and we sell high-dollar stuff so I get an insane amount of scam emails. First Ebay will never ask for info that way, but here's an easy way to tell it is a scam. Move your mouse over the link to verify yourself. Look at the botton of the windows screen to see the actual address. You'll find it's not even remotely close to an ebay server address. Ebay's servers are named with thier name in it. and very simple. They have a list of what servers are theirs, but I don't remember where in the help section I saw it.

20. Auctions can be ended at any time by the buyer as well as cancelling individual bids under certain conditions , Near as I can tell ending an auction early is OK ,in my case all of my stuff is for sale locally (and here), so if it sells its off of egay bidders or not , I checked it out b4 doing this a couple times, but i list parts/prices here, usually some what lower $$$ FIRST, then go to ebay and I will still honor those UNLESS the current bid is higher.the whole foriegn scam thing has got be delt with somehow , problem is how ? sure as shit some knee jerk reation will cause (or cost) us some hassle in the fall out.

21. Rand Man

Rand Man

I only mentioed the e-mails as an example of an obvious scam. This post was started by a very savy E-bay user. Listen to him.

22. monsterflake

monsterflake

i'm not sure how this scam would work, but i'd watch out for it anyway...

Alleged Bodysnatchers To Appear In Court TodayThree men involved in stealing a body from a hospital and allegedly disposing of it in a trash bin will appear in court Monday.

Calvin Spann will be sentenced after pleading guilty to mutilation of a body and illegal removal of a dead body. Lorenzo Baker and John Cryer begin their pre-trial hearings today.

The men allegedly removed a man's body from a hospital and dumped him in a trash bin, Local 4 reported. Police said the men posed as funeral home workers and stole the body from Providence Hospital in Southfield in an attempt to pull an insurance scam.

Admissions from one of the suspects led police to the body of George Hilton, 85, according to The Oakland Press. Hilton's body was found on June 8 in a trash bin behind a Rite Aid on Rosa Parks Boulevard, just south of Clairmount Avenue on Detroit's west side. Hilton died from natural causes, Local 4 reported. He was a decorated veteran of WWII.

Police said the suspects have attempted similar scams at hospitals in Grand Rapids, Bay City and Detroit, but failed. Each faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

23. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

There are legitimate reasons for ending auctions early; NOT GETTING ENOUGH MONEY FOR AN ITEM IS NOT ONE OF THEM!!! If you have a MINIMUM amount you'll take for an item, USE A RESERVE AUCTION! The egay website says my bid is a CONTRACT - DOSEN'T a CONTRACT work BOTH ways????
    What is your username? I want to avoid watching your auctions if you're going to end them early - I really don't have time to WASTE on shit like that!!!
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

America - made in China! :-(

24. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

Treat your selling and personal ebay info just like your pin and your SS # they don't need it again - nor need it confirmed .I get about 3-6 SCAMS a month and always forward them to www.spoof#ebay.com .As a seller thats what i pay them fees for , they can deal w/ those hackin thieves !Sorry but this ID theft thing is preventable ,not even the dmv has my SS # on my DL , if people need my phone # like when returning items at the store etc i give them a fax # .Amazing to me just how many people give out info like candy at toyRus , home depot ,sears ,and those grocerey store savings cards .Here is a tip , i put all that JUNK in my dogs name , and both dogs do get credit card offers and junk mail now .Do not believe them when they say ooh we don't sell your info .. My last consumer help tip of the post is , when using your debit card to buy stuff , do not use your pin # tell them to run it as credit .
    Then the bank will fight a fruad purchase , if its a debit and someone used your pin or adds a huge tip etc the banks will not help you .Due to the use of a pin # your oking all buys on the transaction .
    be acreful out there people !its your $$$$:D

25. BigJim394

BigJim394

If you are pissed off about a seller ending an auction early, complain to ebay. Ebay in the last year warned sellers that ending "too many" auctions early could result in a suspension. The trouble is, they never defined what "too many is", but the recent changes ebay has made with their internal email "ask seller a question" system, makes it obvious that they are trying to control sellers who consitently end auctions early to sell the items "off ebay". If ebay gets enough complaints about any seller ending auctions early, they may investigate and may suspend the seller.

eBay states that they are an AUCTION venue and NOT and advertising venue that allows people to show off their stuff then sell it off ebay, thereby avoiding ebay's end of auction fees.

Sending a suspect scam email to [email protected] results in ebay's software determining if the email was generated by ebay. If it was not, you will get back an email from ebay saying it was not from them and may be a scam or phished email. They do not read the emails, and as far as I can tell they do not do much about them as almost all of them come from outside the U.S. so there is little they can do. I read on an ebay seller's discussion board that one seller had sent the spoof address an email he had gotten from a friend that contained a potato salad recipe. Ebay replied that it was not an email that they had sent and may well have been a scam of phishing email. Most long time sellers (myself included) long ago stopped forwarding those scam emails to the spoof address. We just delete them.

If you know how to decipher the code of who actually sent you the scam email, you can determine the country it came from. Most common are Eastern European countries, African countries and China.

26. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

It's coming. Just wait a bit. Already started it here in Michigan. When you go in for a renewal, they ask for it.