Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flapper's 55 gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mudflap65, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Awwhhh man, sorry to hear that already, running hard is hard on parts.

2. Looks great!

I have a soft spot for '55's...

Yours fits the bill!

Sam

3. doublenickletickle

doublenickletickle

This thing is seriously sick, I can't believe how fast you work either man its unreal!!! I'm hoping to get my moredoor to run like yours(lots of lightening just about everything ahead of me) I'm rocking 3 pedals to with mine to- hoping it goes well with the mild 350 in front of it

4. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Nice Build...
    Glad to see you out driving it hard

5. Sorry to hear about the bad luck...that explans why we didn't see you out on the track in the afternoon at the bend........10:80's with a stick.....sweet.

Attached Files:

6. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

Sorry to hear That's some nice time

7. mudflap65

mudflap65

Looks like I sheared off the spring pin, allowed the rear end to slide on the spring. Bent everything pretty good. Getting the plans together to fix her up soon. Here are some pics of the damage

Attached Files:

8. novabbc

novabbc

Sorry to see this happen Craig. I know you will have it ready for the Gold Cup.

9. mudflap65

mudflap65

Hey Brian, it will be back together soon. I will be at the Gold Cup for sure!! The ONDR guys are talking about it, so there should be a bunch of them there. Looking forward to it, there is one other race at Grand Bend so I should have some track time before heading to Empire, hopefully she holds together!!

10. Wow, guess it did "move around" !
    What's the new stronger / better plan ?

11. mudflap65

mudflap65

The new plan is to replace the spring locator pins that were sheared off. The rear end is out, found out the pins were the wrong size for the hole. The pins were to loose, so... drill out the spring to larger hole size 7/16" grade 12 bolt will hold it together. Repair the rest of the damage, box the ladder bar brackets, run a steel tube from inside each bracket so they can not collapse. Put her back together and see what the next wheelie brings!! The springs were supplied with the car, who would of thought you would have to check to see if the locator pins were the right size?? I know now!

Attached Files:

12. Thats looks ugly Flapper..But knowing you, it will be fixed in no time..
    You had that car hooking hard,and lookin great.

Rick
    ==========================================

13. rustyrestorer

rustyrestorer

Awesome build. Really enjoying this. Building a 53 pontiac gasser ( can,t afford 55-7 ,s) Traded some s alum. stove pipe for this one lol .:) Going SB 408 and auto tranny to keep from breaking to much stuff. Plan on buying bus toterhome and travel around canada nxt summer. May see you then. Good luck with your s. Steve pontiac 003.jpg

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Ouch! Think I better go look at my brackets too! Mine aren't boxed, but I don't have leaf springs either; just ladder bars and coilovers.

15. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

Too bad about that breakage but I know you'll have it up and running better than ever in no time.
    By the way, congratulations on running 10.80's :D

16. mudflap65

mudflap65

Thanks Jim, I knew the run was pretty quick, I was trying for a 11.0 but said screw it at the end, didn't back off. I liked having the time more than the win!!
    Everything is out and starting to repair, going to work on the springs tonight, and order up what I need for the weekend

17. novabbc

novabbc

Awesome build. Really enjoying this. Building a 53 pontiac gasser ( can,t afford 55-7 ,s) Traded some s alum. stove pipe for this one lol .:) Going SB 408 and auto tranny to keep from breaking to much stuff. Plan on buying bus toterhome and travel around canada nxt summer. May see you then. Good luck with your s. Steve

Steve, I don't mean to barge into Craigs discussion but here is my buddys 53 Pontiac gasser that is finally out. It has a BBC with Hilborn injection on methonol. Good luck with yours and Craig glad you are getting yours taken care of! Brian

Attached Files:

18. The guys boxed mine when they put them in, makes sense now after seeing those photos.

[​IMG]

19. mudflap65

mudflap65

Boxing the brackets in is the way to go, I am going to weld some extra gusset type brackets also. Wish I knew that when building the car, it would have been a lot easier!! You are supposed to live and learn, but I ain't got much learnin' yet!!! First time building one of these, we will get it right eventually. The car hooks hard so I imagine we are not done fixing stuff yet. Once this is fixed there will be something down the chain that will let go next

20. If you haven't already, better think about 5/8 wheel studs.

21. Cool car....cool thread and good tips for the future.....gotta love those 55's;):)

22. mudflap65

mudflap65

Thanks for the heads up, the car has a set of Bear's axles with 1/2" studs. They look OK so far!

23. mudflap65

mudflap65

Never in a million years would I believe you if you told me a masonry bit would drill through a set of springs!! We used a $30 bit that shattered and many other regular bits, took a long time. So... Stevie brought over some cheap masonry bits and they drilled right through, could not believe it!! The springs have a grade 12 bolt and the floater has a nut machined down to fit the floater locating hole and it is welded, should not go anywhere now

Attached Files:

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm not only going to box mine, but I'm going to put a brace tube between them to tie them together. Figure that will make them bulletproof.

25. mudflap65

mudflap65

I spoke to Bear's yesterday, he mentioned to box them, run a tube from inside to inside brackets under the third member and run a diagonal piece from the outside brackets to the axle tubes. I will let you know if this works, sounds like it should!

26. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

video please.we need video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. mudflap65

mudflap65

If this lets go, I am going straight to the titty bar and staying there!!

Attached Files:

28. novabbc

novabbc

Looks very strong now!

29. Moparts

Moparts

30. Ha ha, almost over kill it seems but sure better than what happened before ! Funny how these things morph into "I'll build it so damn strong that ......" lol