Register now to get rid of these ads!

Camaro "Snowflake" Intake Manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bib Overalls, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Today I picked up a core 350 at a gent's place today. While I was there he showed me a "69 Chevy Camaro" high rise intake manifold with a "snowflake" cast in. Said it was a rare piece. It is a nice looking manifold with an un-machined boss for an early filler tube. He offered it for $200. Is this a good manifold for the street and is the asking price reasonable? I don't have a clue.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hmmm, a "Camero" must be a really rare one...I've only seen Camaro manifolds...

R-

3. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Got pictures of this "snowflake" manifold?

Gotta watch those damn spelling Nazis. . .

4. gasser john

gasser john

if its aluminum and with a snowflake im sure it must be, these intakes were used on the DZ 302 and LT1 350 engines, they are by far one of the best flowing manifolds that chevrolet offered. the un machined filler boss confirms it is likely a late 68 and newer intake,as the 67/68 DZ 302 had a the hole machined out for a filler tube.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well... it could be a 69 LT-1 manifold, which may be worth 2 bills depending on condition.

if you google the part number it should come up easily.

6. gasser john

gasser john

p.s. I believe the "snow flake " is the logo or marking for the Winters casting plant.

7. Depends on the part number whether it is a good deal or not. Make sure the intake runners havent been milled down for use on a motor that has had the heads milled. Lots of things can happen to engine parts that are 40+ years old

8. gasser john

gasser john

Oh yeah, to answer your question, if its straight and hasnt been milled and has no cracks or striped threads i would say 200.00 is a fair price.

9. Edgrrrrr

Edgrrrrr
    from Kentucky

The one on the 64 vette I'm restoring has the snowflake casting also. It's supposed to be the original. I'll check the casting #s later.

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Camero?! isn't that made by Kia??

11. Larry T

Larry T

The part number will have a lot to do with how much the intake is worth. I'm pretty sure there were 3 different part numbers for the Z28 (302), LT1, and the same intake that was sold over the counter.
    I think they should all be worth $200.00 or more, if the intake is in good shape.

BTW, Weiand/Holley/Edelbrock all made intakes that were near carbon copies of the Z28/LT1 intakes.

12. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Yep, the snow flake near the water neck tells that it was made at the winters plant. my old holley dominator has the snow flake on it as well

13. k9racer

k9racer

200 is a fair price.. In the last 10 or 12 years the closest I have come to a unit like yours was a NOS eldelbrock C4B for 200 and I purchased with out trying to talk down the price.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't do a discreet search on a misspelling. Accuracy counts.

Just scored some Aluminium Buck drums for a song because of it, though.

15. jr9162

jr9162

You are correct.

16. Winters was casting aluminum intakes for SBC's back as far as '61-'62. The did the 327-340 in the '62 Impala/BelAir and the '66-'67 327-350 in the Novas. Ask me how I know.......

$200 can be a fair price. The intakes above can be found for $275-$350 on "the auction site".

17. I had one slip through my fingers before I realized what it was. It had a GM part number on it with the snowflake and a build date but if I remember correctly there was an X at the start of the part number.

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may need to define whether a restoration piece is what you seek, or if you simply want an aluminum 4bbl intake. It may belong on a restored car and be worth the price. It may not make a .5HP difference in what you're building vs a $75.00 swap meet Edelbrock or Weiand.

19. Thanks guys. I'm going to take another look and run the part number. I like NOS (neat old s#!t).

20. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

As to the question if it works well.. I have the earlier mode with the oil neck 67/68 ?.. started running it with a 650 Holley and now it has a 750 Carter/ Edelbrock with a 1/2" spacer.. On the street she seems to wind up tight and pull all the way to 6k... Only reason I've thought of switching is for the "show" factor in my '55......

21. derbydad276

derbydad276

Edelbrock performer RPM intake brand new $150 bucks is litterly the same

swap meet easy $55-75 all day let him keep his ultra rare factory piece

22. F.Y.I.: Those GM aluminum intakes with the "Winters" mark have been reproduced. An original was worth big money at one time. Now that repops are out there the originals dropped in value and a used repop is worth about $120.00.

23. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

There's a huge difference between fort and fart. Spelling always matters.

24. Yeah but he had it right the first time before he changed it with the edit button.

25. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

It should also be noted that there are winters intakes WITHOUT part #'s or date codes i saw an original early to mid 60's hipo highrise a few years back without any and my beater work and back rig has what i was told was a repop '69 z-28 manifold without them too

As for how they run, i love my z-28 manifold, but i'd admit the perfomer RPM looks identical runner wise

26. AG F/C

AG F/C

This is correct.
    Winters also cast the early 409 HiPo aluminum manifolds and others in aluminum. All carry the Winters logo.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  27. It is kind of odd that the OP was jumped on by his spelling error. The spelling here is usually pretty bad.
    Incidentally Chevrolet experimented with both the spelling Camero and Camaro before settling on the latter.

~Alden

28. Any Chevrolet factory High Performance manifold is ususally as good or better than aftermarket peices will perform....Remember -they can copy and "improve" to a degree,but can rarely duplicate the designs= or= the way it will run as well as the factory engineers can do....
    Cams are an example of this,often a cam will sound badass as hell but not actually improve the overall performance at all.....

29. 67 was an MO not DZ.

30. I went from that Winters manifold to a Vic Jr. and picked up a bunch at the track. I wouldn't think of using another GM intake for performance when the aftermarkets are so much better.