Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering wheel repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Looks awesome bub. Your presentation here should help a lot of folks with their wheels too. Great job.

2. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Looks great, and thanks for the info. I am getting ready to do mine in the next few weeks.... This was perfect timing seeing how its done...:D

3. I use marine Tex two part epoxy. Outside of that same procedure. I do have one tip some steering wheel have small rings that are bent around the wheel cross section they are a bear to remove and you could scratch the wheel re-installing them. What I do apply thin layer of grease with a tooth pick around the ring (bezel) then wipe off after the paint drys. My .02

4. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

I did this 56 Chev wheel last year as part of a complete show resto. JB Weld for me too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Being plastic, I use SEM colorcoat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. just for a bit of added info,i have used that appliance epoxy paint that you spoke of,can get it an most hardware stores, it worked VERY well,it was durable for a rattle can paint and looked good.colors are limited but,white or black will at least get ya driving and looking decent.

6. I can vouch for this. Haha. I used JB weld on mine as well. I its Not 100% done yet. Have to some finish work still but its 100 times better than what it was.

Attached Files:

7. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

This is great! I am going to try this as well.

8. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

How are these wheels holding up as far as temperature changes. have any of them re cracked.

9. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I did the steering wheel in my F100 with PC-7 epoxy ten or fifteen years ago, it still looks great.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  10. 4rod

4rod

geat thread, I was thinking about a heat plastic gun for cacks however, PC-7 i had not though of...very cool thanks

11. Since this thread has come back I can report I haven't had any cracks show up on my wheel. HRP

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  12. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

HRP, I just bought a wheel like yours at a swap meet for 30 bucks with 2 horn rings. I was wondering what year it was.... I don't have any laps on my wheel repair yet, but I used a 2 part 100% solids epoxy mixed with cabosil. The epoxy is a little runny by itself, but you add the cabosil to your preferred thickness. I could have done a lot more sanding and layers to make my wheel look a little better, but I was going for that driver quality look.

JW

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

JB Weld here too. I tried the one that comes in a tube that you cut a chunk off, knead into one color - I thought it was lousy. I DON'T use the JB Quik Weld. I use the old fashioned slower one.

[​IMG]

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

14. I'll be doing mine soon. Thanks for the good info.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  15. I will be doing mine as well, may pick up another 'wheel so I can still move the car around while I work on it. And slap the new one on in the end.

16. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

JB weld has held up fine for me as well, tried the JB KWIK for faster drying but like the original better. Although slower drying original formulated JB seems to feather nicer when sanding. Prep well for adhesion and use masking tape around larger cracks and fill with JB makes it less messy to fill cracks. I have done several this way with varied finishes. Fingers make the best squeegee for applying in most cases as mentioned. Also looking at the OP pics the coffee is a must as well in list of supplies needed to do the job. :D

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  17. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Thanks to all for the great reply’s !! Was going to buy repo 1939 - they are big time on back order - repaired original will be better anyway !

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

pecker head likes this.