Register now to get rid of these ads!

The HAMB, HOT ROD magazine, and why I like them both.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I've spend more than a little time thinking about the recent debate here (one of many) wherein people feel the need to expound on why HOT ROD magazine isn't relevant to their views and feelings about hot rods, car magazines, life in general or just sucks in general. Not surprisingly, most of those opinions come from guys who haven't read HOT ROD (or maybe ANY publication) in years.

After reading the current issue (again) from cover to cover this morning at breakfast, I felt like trying to sum why, in a thoughtful and non-arguementative (well, maybe a little bit arguementative) way, why HOT ROD is relevant to me. Just follow the link below to "Cool McCool's Garage", where I stray a little from what I'm doing in the shop, to what goes on in my head while eating Eggs Benedict...

http://flynbrian48.wordpress.com/

Feel free to post comments on the blog, but please refrain from a bunch of them here rehashing what's already been hashed about, I'm not trying to stir up drama on this board, or to change anybody's mind (well maybe Ryan's) but to generate a little thought.

Cheers,

Brian

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  2. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I sub to Hot Rod....I like it,

maybe its the internet; but who cares what other people read or like or whatever, in the world of tweets and facebook etc..we all feel we need to share everything...ironic that I am complaining about this on a message board..

By the way cool 36

3. 46stude

46stude

Funny thing about HOT ROD magazine:

All of the bitchers & whiners who say they gave up on it years ago, & it does not show exactly what they want to see in every issue, and how its out of touch with true hot rodding, & say they use it as toilet paper..... well, have I got news for them.

HOT ROD magazine is still around & still about the biggest rodding periodical on the planet. Guess they are doing it right after all.

4. customcory

customcory

I 've had a subscription off and on since 1968 when I was 8. Had a sub to R&C when they joined Hot Rod, use to get two Hot Rod magazines until that 1 year sub run out. Use to live for those color pics!Hot Rod changes with the times, it doesn't please one group but tries to give everyone something like it always has. Hot Rod is like the root of all Peterson publications, car wise. Can you imagine anyone replacing it?

5. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Yawn...... To each their own, I still get it but only because I subscribe for .60 cents an issue, I thought the last issue was just plain dumb ass with the two car comparo, I don't like Lambos and the rat rod looked like an uncomfortable pos. occasionally they will have something interesting.........R&C is way better!

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Sumfuncomet, I don't know whether I like Lambo's or not, I've never driven or ridden in one and don't expect to. The point of the article, as I point out in my blog, is not a comparison of the two cars, but a comparison of the FEELING one gets in them, and the reactions of the public to the person driving them. After all, the entire point of both of them, (of any specialty car, for that matter), is being SEEN, and getting noticed. Introverts don't drive hot rods or exotics, but what does each say about the driver? That's the point. Both cars are pointed out to have pretty serious shortcomings as transportation, but we don't pic specialty cars for that. They might as well have picked a new 'Vette and a nice, "Street Rod-ish" '32 Ford, and had a little more acceptable (to some) article, but they went to the extreme of each end.

To each complaint about the magazine, or any niche magazine, one can point to posts here as being equally irrelevent. I give a crap, in fact I get a little testy, sifting through page after page of "What's it worth", "I painted my car with tractor paint and mop and it looks great", "SBC's suck donkey-dick", and "Are coregated [sic] radiator hoses traditional?"

I agree that R&C is much more focused on what I like, that but I think they are both relevent to readers of this site, if they'd only take the blinders off. And, at .60 an issue to subscribe, it's a helluva deal, that we dinasaurs should support.

Thanks for the comments, and keep read'n!

Brian

(and I said I wasn't going to defend HR here!)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'd just like to find a STRICTLY traditional, 1964 and below, hot rod and custom site or magazine. THAT would be cool. My car wouldn't make the cut, but I'd still enjoy the tech and builds.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Good luck...it would be a ghost town.

9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have ridden in a Lambo and can testify it is definitly a Hotrod! I have been a drag racer since 16 and a freind took me for a ride in his countach.He nailed it and watched my yawn until we hit eighty miles per hour.Then he said,I know what your thinking,as I had launched in many cars quicker out of the gate.He punched it at eighty and the damn thing took off with the same acceleration as it did from start. Never made fun of them since.And my SBC has never so much as thought of sucking a donkey dick,So there!

10. rld14

rld14

I read the latest issue... Specifically the test with the Lamborghini. I wasn't surprised that the r?t r?d was such a pos to drive and impractical to the point of being barely drivable.

They didn't really "get" the Lamborghini, even a 6 speed, which is what I have wheel time with, is a pig in traffic, it's just not what the car is designed for. But what they did get was the difference.. Drive a Lamborghini and a lot of people think you're an asshole, meanwhile I jump in the Ford or the Lincoln or Packard and people think they're cool cars and you're approachable.

They did get one thing wrong. I like hot rods. I like Lamborghinis, the Lamborghini is not a hot rod. The Lamborghini is still shitloads of fun though, can't wait till next weekend when I get behind the wheel again :D

11. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

The best .60cent entertainment deal on the planet.

12. onedge

onedge

AH...for me this is easy. Traditional Rod & Kulture magazine.

13. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

For my money, Hot Rod is the best entertainment for me as a gearhead. It may not be the best for those that refuse to allow any other concept into their head outside of "traditional hot rods." But, for me, I like just about all kinds of wheeled contraptions. So, I like Hot Rod - a lot. I, especially, like it since David Freiberger has been at the helm. And, at $8.00 for a year's subscription, it is a screaming deal. As long as Hot Rod continues on the path that it has been following for the past few years, I'll remain a loyal customer...

14. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

The HAMB is like a magazine, tailored to what I like, and changes daily. I bought a copy of Gear Head yesterday. The one where the Choppers go to Japan. I also have to tolerate the article about the guy that started Honda motorcycles which I could give 2 fucks about, in ihe same issueNothing is perfect because people always have their own opinion.

15. hot rod mag is the father of car mags.If you want more trad,try hot rod deluxe.great mag.I got my 36 ford in the july issue.Great people to work with.

16. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

people like to throw rocks at shinny things...lots of haters,,not cause they really hate it ,,cause they need to be on a team... just cause they show alot of camaros/mustangs or what ever doesnt mean i cant learn something,,,and they cant cater to everyones taste...lifes pretty boring if you live with blinders on...

17. deto

deto

I don't think being knowledgable in multiple areas our hobby is bad. I don't believe you only have X amount of space and if you know how to diagnose a bad injector you can't store the knowledge on how to re jet a carb... Knowledge is good, and HOTROD has a lot of it

18. rld14

rld14

Also worth mentioning is that if Hot Rod was strictly about 64 and older traditional stuff it wouldn't have the appeal that it does today, or the circulation, and that might mean we might not have a .60/mo magazine.

19. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

What's more important to Hot Rod, pleasing everyone or making money? My guess is they figured they would never please everyone, so why not make some money?

I really enjoy Hot Rod actually, but I didn't get into traditionals until a few years ago, and probably didn't "get it" until recently. I still like variety, and Hot Rod has that as well as some good information.

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Without actually knowing, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that HRM is probably NOT making a ton of money right now. But, that's just me, and the general state of print media as a whole.

Brian

21. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps

Yeah, I bet HRM has been bleeding money for some time now (like others in the industry I'm sure) but that said, I still like it. Every time I flip though a copy I get at least one or two good ideas that I can find a use for in my own projects. Does it matter if I get that idea from a <em>POS r@t rød</em> or some <em>over-valued muscle car</em>? No, not really.

Then again, I almost never buy a copy, but read for free at the local Barnes & Noble. So I'm hardly helping to keep them afloat. If they go away, it'll be the end of an era for sure, but I won't spill tears over it, I get a million more ideas and education every time I check in here.

¡VIVA LA HAMB!

22. LXbuilder

LXbuilder

I read HOT ROD all the time and I love it, but I love all cars and don't pigeon hole myself into only one type. My first love is traditional Rods and my second is Muscle cars, but I love any and all cool cars and I'm not afraid to say so. Never really understood haters.

23. 5window

5window

I'll say x2

24. I almost cancelled Hot Rod when my subscription ran out, I renewed, like 3 years for $20 and like the new and improved look....I just wish they would stop saying rat rod....

25. slammed

slammed

When someone disagrees, it does not make them a 'whinner' or a 'bitcher'. Anymore than those who like something a 'fan-boy'. Does their content (majority) pertain to this site? Yes, Hot Rod magazine's storied beginning does. But today, it must draw a very broad appeal. To garner as many buyers/advertisers as possible. Their is no way it can 'go back'. Let it go. This HAMB has it's criteria. The recent make over(s) has left Hot Hod schizophrenic (as Ryan put it) Wish them luck, but to drag it on board, seems redundant.

26. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Interesting blog you have, Brian! I like the content!

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

And I'd like to get rid of every user I have that doesn't contribute to the community. I mean, really contribute... Posts beyond the ego driven vanity crap... Now, THAT would be cool... And it wouldn't be a ghost town either.

I need to start slapping people around. Things are harmonious unless I'm being called a Nazi once or twice a week.

Hapless.

Bastards.

GFY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.