Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevysteering wheel fit a ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Jul 14, 2012.

1. would mid 50's chevy bel air wheel fit say a 49 splined ford steering shaft?

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I had the same question, but in reverse. '57 Ford wheel on a '55-'59 chevy PU column.

3. well hopefully we can get these both figured out!

i have a chance to get a 55 chevy wheel,but i have a f1 steering column.i heard all ford splines are the same up to much later years? ive seen odd wheels on fords,with no modificatiins..fingers crossed

4. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

isn't the splined portion of the f1 shaft removable? You could just machine one....

looks pressed in?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

5. jazzbum

jazzbum

i would think it'd be easier to machine a new center for the wheel (or adapt a ford one) than alter the column if they don't match up. how many splines on the ford column?

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just what I was thinking, hoping its a bolt-on. I have another deal going on a gemmer box/column from an IH, thinking to use that with a late forties ford wheel or possibly a Chevy butterfly, got a feeling that one will be a little more complicated.

7. the splined shaft is not removable.at least mine isnt.

8. no one can answer this?

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This is a 53 Hudson wheel on an F100 column.

[​IMG]

The same column with a 57 Merc wheel.

I'm pretty sure a Chevrolet will not fit an F100 column or there would be thousands of 58 Impala wheels on them.

[​IMG]

I have modified an F100 column to take the early Ford banjo wheel by grafting the old Ford tapered upper shaft on the F100 column. You can see the weld joint about 6" below the locking column sleeve. Yes the F100 column now is equipped with a 39 Ford locking column I think that this is the easiest way to adapt a different make wheel to an F100 column.

[​IMG]

This is the 39 locking mast on the F100 column.

10. I put a 55 Plymouth wheel onto my 52 Ford F1 column by cutting both columns and welding up the steering shaft...be sure of your welding skills if you go this route for obvious reasons....It worked like a charm !!....I did exactly what Tommy did.

11. 54MEB

54MEB

The Chevy wheel should have 36 splines and the small end of the tapper is aprox. 5/8". Sorry I don't know what deg. the tapper is.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In an ideal situation you would take the Ford box apart and take the steering shaft an the top foot or so of a Chevy steering shaft to a machine shop and have them machined so they would slip together and then either pin or weld (or both) the ends together. Meaning that one end was bored and one end was turned down so they slipped together.

Sawing them off and butt welding them together would be rather spooky to me.

13. well i think the easiest way to find out is to check out an old grant or simular catalog and see if they list the same part numbers for the 2 applications

i know i walked into advanced auto and bought a steering wheel adaptor for my gf's 50 pontiac off the shelf , then later went in to get one for my 50 ford and grant dosent list one for it

in short id say the two wont interchange

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I went hunting the internet for info on the IH splines last night, I got .875x36 spline.

I just realized, I have a '66 chevy II outside with the steering wheel pulled off, and a '57 ford wheel. I will check after my daughters swimming lessons. If the ford wheel will go on the chevy II, we should be golden.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Check this out, I think it might be a bolt-on. scroll down to pg 3, and look at the fifties era chevy and ford truck. But the sixties era chevy column is different than the earlier one, so test fitting on my Chevy II isnt gonna work.
    http://www.classicperform.com/Catalog/Steering.pdf

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  17. Im using a phone so ill download those pages,falcon george-so they will fit? im getting the wheel today.

ive cut my steering shaft before,welded,then sleeved it.its been good but i dont wanna do it again,pluss i dont have the chevy splines! so thats why that option is out fellas.

18. well the guy came by with the wheel,we couldnt make a deal so i didnt get to see if it fit....oh well,flakes are everywere,still interested in what wheels fit tho

also what year did ford go from keyed to splined? i found a 47 ford wheel

19. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Splined started in 1951

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

What is the shaft diameter on the Ford keyed shaft? The IH shaft is probably on the long side for the car I plan to use it in anyway, Maybe when I shorten it, I can turn the end down a tad, cut a keyway, and be away to the races with a late forties ford wheel? That would be a nice solution. I was also thinking about a Hudson wheel like Tommy posted, then I would have to use a coupler and the end of a fifties chevy/ford shaft.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

22. splined didnt start in 51. i have a f1 column not f100 and mine is splined.my column is 49 im pretty sure

23. I like the hudson but i need it to tapper to clear my knee like the merc wheel he posted,or ranchrro.i just cant find a banged up used one for cheap anywere!

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The '56-'58 Ford wheel is a good dished wheel for a late fifties look, was used in a LOT of pretty well-known late fifties hot rods, Ala-Kart, Sorenson 3 window, to name a couple just off the top of my head. Put a bullet in the center, and you are stylin'.

25. that sounds good to me,just long as its dished,my wheel is flat and is hardly drivable in my shortend column.must have if its in ala-cart!

well, hope i can find one.dont care what condition its in.

26. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

A friend of mine cuts out the middle of the appropriate wheel and machines it into the desired wheel.

27. i dont really have that access to do that,pluss how do you re-connect the spokes to the hub??

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, I am going to say the jury is still out on the Fifties splined chevy/ford interchange. I found another thread where a guy said it wouldn't work, but now i cant find that thread. According to the info in the Borgeson catalog, it LOOKS like it should work. Maybe someone else can clarify?

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres one in Nostalgia59's Surf Kart. I bought mine for $50, but it needs a complete resto. I thought it was a good score nonetheless. GREAT looking wheel for a circa late fifties hot rod. way better than the '55 chevy wheel IMO.

Attached Files:

30. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

model A hooligan Your right. I have a 49\50 Crestliner steering wheel and it is splined and i'm told it will not fit a 51 because it has akey. So will the Crestliner wheel fit a splined late 60's Chev column ? The dimentions seem the same.