Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Slammed 31 A coupe....FINISHED!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hooliganshotrods, Jun 27, 2012.

1. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Man, I'll tell ya, the overall feel/stance is really not to my taste... but you sure do nice work! Great job on the build, you've got skill!

2. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks Kevin for the pic, I have been looking at lots of glossy and not glossy orange cars lately, plans are changing.......again. Really liking the look of how the A's were painted originally so may go that route, perhaps browns and tans......gotta decide soon.

3. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Hey thanks for the compliments. If we all liked the same thing then there wouldn't be a whole lot new to look at. Sure do appreciate you taking the time to post on the overall work I've done so far, cheers!

4. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

And thanks again to everyone else who has posted, glad you guys are enjoying the build thus far.

5. El Carne's 53'

El Carne's 53'
    from Oceanside

That radiator shell makes me want to take my ball and go home! Well done. As far as the motor goes i would tone down the orange if youre going orange on the body. I like the black wires with orange though. F the haters, stance if perfect if you ask me. Cheers. SubF'nscribed.

6. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

7. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks man. I'm swaying towards a totally different color scheme for the car, maybe some browns and tans, I really dig the original paint jobs on the A's back in the day. As for the haters, I don't get all wound up about who likes what and who doesn't, hotrodding is a personal flavor and we all build what we like as builders, some will like and some won't, it's all good. If a guy wants to rate my build as terrible because he can't get past the air ride on page 1 then that's cool they don't have to read it. I'm sure there is lots of guys like me who like a bit of traditional and bit of new age. To each their own.

Hey thanks for that, I was actually on that site the last few days via a link I found here on the hamb, but thanks for posting it anyway. I really LOVE that Thorne Browne and tan.

8. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Pulled the motor today and installed the mounts for the front hairpins, I used heavy wall DOM tubing that goes through the frame rail on both sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needed to make the filler pieces at the front kick so I got a start on that:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One side down and one to go.

9. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

DAMN son!!!!!!
    You got mad skillz!
    Love ur work, keep it commingled!

10. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks

Been hard at it, got the chassis broke down and started the welding, what once was 6x2 tubing is sure starting to look like a chassis:D

Here's a few pictures of the welding I got done today. I have about 2 hours work left and then I can prime it and paint:cool:

Still need to grind and sand:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the 1x2x1/4" all welded and sanded, almost there...:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Nice looking chassis and welds. MIG or TIG?

12. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks, they are Mig welds, I prepped all the seams for full penetration welds.

13. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Not to hi-jack this thread but customizing? That car needs the hub caps changed like was discussed in another thread and then left alone IMO. Like thunderbirdesq said, not my cup of tea but incredible skills. But to do anything close to this to that 31 roadster would be a shame.

14. windsurf88

windsurf88

WOW, really nice work

15. LabRat

LabRat

Classy frame , has a Deco or Bridge like feel to it ... Cheers for the tips , tricks and taking the time to post . And thanks , I had told myself I need a TIG , Evidently I just need more practice on the MIG ...
    Rear Bags , shock inside ? or still to come ?
    Tan , Black / Brown works well . But I think any standard shade Light body dark belt (Blues or Greens) would have good effect considering the visual impact your stance has created .

16. wallyringo

wallyringo

nice job bro, how did you find the 31 coupe?

17. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks

Thanks a lot, the rear bags have shocks inside. Still contemplating color combos, I'm going with a stock looking Model A paint job for sure with maybe cream wheels/block. I have a few color choices that I may post up.

Thanks, I got the coupe from a member on here, a friend sent me a link to it and I bought it immediately as where I live you don't see many coupes come up for sale.

18. Guess this is where I come in. I supplied the body. Actually 2 bodies, one to Dean and another to his buddy Rod and met them half way to deliver them. I am blown away by Dean's skill. His welding is amazing. I am more into early style rods, but can't fault the worksmanship. My style or not, the detail is amazing. Looking forward to seeing it at ride height. Nice save on the decklid. Pat

19. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks Pat.

20. matt 3083

matt 3083
    from Tucson, Az

I noticed in one of the pictures that the front axle
    has stars cut into it. Did you cut these? If so, how?
    When I saw your welds I thought that they were
    tig. I read where you said that they mig. Wow.
    Fantastic. Love your work.
    Matt

21. Mig? Seriously?
    don't you dare grind those welds...their beautiful.

22. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

badass!!!!
    Great work and welds are fantastic.

23. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks, the front axle I purchased from Lucky7, I provided them with a .jpg of the star and they were able to have it machined into the axle for me for an extra cost.

24. vegas

vegas

Awesome looking coupe with outstanding workmanship! Almost ashame to cover that chassis with a body! I think it will look great with the stock type color. Someday when I actually paint mine, I think I am going to go with a tan color on the body. Very well done so far, can't wait to see more!

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got to agree, that car deserves to shine no matter what color even though this month's fad is dull paint.

Orange on the body might be too much orange though.

26. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

I agree too...you have done a lot of nice fab n metal work here, Im sure your body work will be done as well..... at that point put a shine on it! Im not sure im feeling the orange on it tho (but not my car) Color combo can make or break all your hard work. If your looking for a brighter color how about a 3 stage candy to really make it stand out then a nice contrasting motor wheel combo! Just some food for thought bro....Im sure whatever u end up w it will be awesome! Keep at it!

27. jhutch713

jhutch713

I was thinking the same thing, grind what??? Grinding welds implies covering uglyness, very nice work. Thanks

28. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks

All the welds that are exposed and will be seen are left alone, guys that use a grinder to "cover up" shitty welds shouldn't be welding to begin with. Thanks for the compliment.:cool:

29. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Cheers man, you're coupe is pretty bad ass, I read your threads this morning, very nice.