Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why Ford cars becames so popular!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratamahata, May 29, 2012.

1. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Here... issue as you see fit.

Attached Files:

2. It seems that this is living in the past. In the city most all Electrical and Construction companies are switching to Chevys especially when it comes to vans. My GMC 1 ton kicks ass for power and mileage compared to a Ford. Look at any parking lot in a city and Chevys out number Fords 4-1.
    Once you get past 1937 it seems to me that theres about an even amout of other makes. I'm still sticking with wood rotting and metal panels falling off other makes that made/make them rare. When it comes to the 50s, 1955,56,57s seem to have bred like rabbits.

3. On this subject we must also say that thanks to this culture, have saved a lot of cars, bodies and parts, regardless of brand, has also created a very prosperous business for the U.S. with regard to the sale of parts for hot rods

4. smittythejunkman

smittythejunkman

#1 then #1 now, last major american car company still in business. no bankruptcy no tax payer dollars no bull shit . Ford was the first and is the last man standing. Good price and quality stand the test of time.

5. all i wanna know is why since its a fact that the 57 ford outsold the 57 chevy handily then why is it that wether i go to a show, cruise or even the damn junkyard i trip over 57 chevys but only rarely do i see a 57 ford i just wanna know why

i mean since there were soo many more fords sold you should see more of them now just beefuzzels me

6. cavemag

cavemag

Chrysler had 4 wheel hydraulic brakes in the mid 20's

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Because it's only after people bought Fords that they realize they made a mistake, so they sold the Ford for scrap and bought a Chevy.

8. FityFive

FityFive

I believe Ford's quality and business model are significant reasons for their long-term success. Where I live, a good number of life long GM guys traded in their chevy trucks for Ford's after the bailout.

9. SOHC427

SOHC427

Geez, the few GM lovers on this post, really get their thongs in a knot.
    Dont see repop parts for a 32 Chevy coupe, do ya?
    GM has lots of cool cars, but don't be a hater. Your little 350's and bowtie will still be here, too.
    Eric

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Lots of 'em cheap, and parts interchanged over many years. 15 million Model T,..1908 thru 1927, and the frames were all the same, just different bodies. Engines the same, other than adapting a starter in 1919.

4TTRUK

11. SOHC427

SOHC427

I have 4 of those 15 million sitting around, and the 3 with engines, run!
    Wait, drum roll, the original engines, as well.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  12. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

Ford did out sell Chevy in 57 but not by alot. I suspect the difference was the number of cars Ford sold for police use. You could get more horsepower in a package that police department service technicians were familiar with, from Ford. Chevy had the fuel injected 283s but, few departments had mechanics knowlegable about the new fangled fuel injection and steered clear of it. Ford had the supercharged 312s but police departments bought very few of them for the same reasons. Back in the old days when you spent public tax money you were careful of how it was spent. Ford was a known comodity.

13. burnout2614

burnout2614

I'm laughing ova heah! peace

14. I've got 5 Chevys and 3 Fords and I love them all........'54 and earlier its Ford.......'55 and later gotta be Chevy

15. 73super

73super

Yeah... I knew this thread would get the ol' Hatfields and McCoys going at it again! Ha! Oh man.. I too love 'em all... Now who is who.. Chevy Hatfields and Ford McCoys? So where does that leave Chrysler? Any what about all those orphans?

16. Someone put a Small Block Chevy or a Hemi in one! :eek: :p :D

17. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

You ever notice when threads go on this long that when you read through them it is the same thing over and over because nobody takes time to read through the thread and see that their answer has been posted twice before.

18. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Because the only thing that rusted faster than a '57 Chevy was a '57 Ford. :) When I was a little kid my sister and her husband had a '57 ford (this was around 1961) and that thing was on its last legs...the headlight buckets were nearly falling out of the fenders.

19. lowstrung

lowstrung

20. Ford did NOT need a bail out !

21. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Became what do you meen became thay where always popular 1932 Fords where and are the Holy Grail of hotrodding

22. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

My old man had a new 57. A few years later he could have told the same story. From what I've heard 57 Mopars had them both beat for rusting.

23. moefuzz

moefuzz

When Ford returned to auto production shortly after the end of WWll, The company was financially in dire straights.
    Henry Ford ll was responsible for turning the company around and he started down that path by introducing the very successful 49/50 Ford model.

With that success came a little profit, profit that had not been there in previous model years.
    During WWll, Ford outsourced many of it's factories to the US Government/War Dept.
    Along with the 'lend/lease' deal to the Government, Ford also produced many necessary parts and assembles for the war machine.
    Profit during the war years was there but was slim in that it left Ford with just enough cash to exit war production and tool up for a new model.
    The success of the new body style and 49/50 production also helped put Ford back in the Black but the profits from those few years were not enough to carry the company very far forward.

By the late 50's, most manufacturers (including GM) were retooling their steel manufacturing plants for the new electroplated/galvanized steel that promised to extend car/body life. This was right at the peak of your highways departments attempts to salt winter ice into non existence.

In 1955, Ford on the other hand, had inadequate cash on hand to convert the Rouge to the new galvanized steel and was therefor amongst the last to counteract the Government created problem of accelerated rust.

In order to raise capital for forward movement/production, Henry Ford ll and the board of directors made and executive decision to offer shares onto the common markets (Stock Market) in 1956.

I believe the initial stock offering (ISO) was priced at around $65 per share (don't quote me on that) and 10.2 million shares were sold within the first day of the ISO.
    The ISO raised the equivalent of a 22% stake in the company or ~$662 million? in cash in it's first day. (others please correct me on these figures)

The ISO raised enough cash to help Ford tool up and introduce new models through upcoming years as well as retool steel mills in order that they were capable of offering the new galvanized steel in places like rocker panels and cowel sections.

The late 50's were a hard time for America and the Auto industry, A severe recession in 1958 saw auto sales sharply decline. -1958 turned out to be a bad year to introduce new models (including the Edsel) and the monies raised through the initial stock offering of 1956 dwindled as fast as new car sales plummeted. Subsequently the Share price in most all auto companies declined including that of Ford.

As a side note, Henry Ford absolutely hated shareholders, big banks and the stock market with a passion.
    If he would have been alive in 1956, he would not have allowed his grandson to place Ford Motor Company back into shareholders hands.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Exactly! Low-priced car with V8 power and some of the most beautiful cars ever designed.

25. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Re: Why Ford cars becames so popular!!
    <hr style="color:#e5e5e5; background-color:#e5e5e5" size="1"> Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by fiftee6effie [​IMG]
    Fords became popular because of the beautiful bodies and the Flathead V8!
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Exactly! Low-priced car with V8 power and some of the most beautiful cars ever designed.
    replaced by chevy 1955 and after for the same reasons

26. This statement has absolutely nothing to do with this thread but is 100% true.