Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the right chop for 29 model a????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31 stude, Jul 14, 2012.

1. 31 stude

31 stude

lookin for pics and some opinions on how much to chop a 29 5window coupe 29 coupe.jpg yes the scoop is gone the color is changining and the wheels are goin too!!!! as far as wheels chrome or painted steels? thanks to all who reply!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

this is a 28 a with a 5 1/2" shop

Attached Files:

3. I have done many 5, 4, And even a 5 front and 4 rear. But IMO the 4 looks awesome with fenders.

4. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

4" or less, they look good with a stock top too.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Notice that on Smack's '29, at 5.5", the straight vertical edge at the back of the quarter windows is now gone. That's about the point that I consider to be "radical" territory...which I happen to like. But I use that as kind of a reference point. If there's much straight section left, I consider that to still be "mild" territory. About 3" is considered to be restrained or "tasteful". Less than that is "subtle". But you have to weigh it against the physical restraints. How tall you are, whether you'd cut out the package tray or not, height of the seat, etc.

6. 31 stude

31 stude

cool thanks for the numbers and advice im thinkin 4 by 5 looks real cool!!!!!!!!!!!

7. wingnuts

wingnuts
    from Ephrata Pa

Mine is 4 , i think it is perfect, i will worn you, you will have to tilt your head at a traffic light! It is still cool

8. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

My first chop,48 F-1, 4" chop, turned out great visually. Driving it, well.... My current 31 pickup has a 5 inch chop, it was a hot rod in the late 50's-early 60's and I don't have the heart to change it. If I were going to do one from scratch I would sit in it and have someone measure from the top of my skull to the roof. I would also try 3", 4" and 5" pieces of cardboard hanging down from the visor in your line of sight to see how hard it is to see out of.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  9. 14" fir sure.:rolleyes:

What are you after that determins the best chop. Around 4" is the most popular.

Maaan if I had the ugly old beast I would give it to the beaner. :D:D

10. 3 to 4 looks great to me.
    As to wheels, im a fan of chrome with wide whites, although blackwalls and painted steelies also look great.
    Good to see another old Ford saved from street rod hell. :D;)

11. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

4". I forgot a comma :eek:

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yep, and if you get into "radical" chops (6"+) on Model A coupes you have to really spend some extra time on the quarter windows as they'll start to lose their line end up egg or football shaped. Just a pet peeve of mine on heavily chopped A coupes (and other chopped cars such as Mercs where the time isn't spent to retain the rear quarter window corner arch).

Also a good rule of thumb I've always lived by is that the more you chop a car, the more the rest of the car needs to be in harmony to make the chop "work". You can chop a stock car 2" and get away with no other mods and it'll work. Chop a car severely and you'll be in for a total build that follows the theme (channeling, sans fenders, etc.).

13. millersgarage

millersgarage

depends on how tall you are, and how the seats are mounted, and.....

there are more factors than just looking cool :cool:

I am 6'1" and I chopped mine 3 inches, cut my seat tracks and inch, and was still looking out the top of the windshield.

I marked the post with masking tape every inch, then took a photo of it from the side, cut up the photo and dropped the roof to where I thought it looked good, then counted the tape lines.

14. Cut it at the top cut line, then cut 3 inches off the car and put the top back on and sit in the car, see how it fits. From there I'd go an inch at a time till it sits good and you like the way it looks. I agree with the 4 to 5 inch crowd. But if you do it in steps you'll be glad you did, get it to fit you first, not being comfortable when you drive it isn't any fun at all. I've chopped three cars and this system works, it lets you tailor the car to you.
    As far as wheels, I like painted steel wheels with caps and trim rings on a full fendered car like yours........... and mine

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012