Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

By 1966 Rick had sold the Thunderbolt and was racing this 5 Window coupe.

[​IMG]

During that year Jim Dunn was in Colorado and had his Top Fueler for sale. It Didnt take long and the Hearn Family Struck a Deal. Rick Hearn Ran this Top Fuel Dragster the next few years. Heres a Couple Shots. I'll Move over to the History of Drag Cars in Motion from Here. For those who want to hear the rest of the story.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, Thanks Rick, for sharing your Memories.

2. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Mercuryjunky/Rick, is that the engine in the coupe out of the Thunderbolt? What's the history on the Thunderbolt after it was sold? Did it get ever get "updated"? Again, great pics, Thanks.

Kevin

3. rawhide427

rawhide427

The carbs on the engine in the coupe appear to be Carters so if they used the Thunderbolt engine they did not use the Holley carbs.

regards, Roland

4. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Yes, you're right, they do appear to be Carters. I didn't look that close, I saw it was an FE so I had to ask the question. I'll bet it was exciting to drive.

Kevin

5. SOHC427

SOHC427

Exciting?? I bet balls like church bells, is more like it.
    Wow, a little Model A with a FE, and what kind of brakes??

Cool addition to this thread!
    Eric

6. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Al

That 65 Fairlane belongs to Pete Ricart from Ricart Ford in Columbus, OH. A beautiful example of a flyin 65.....Mike

7. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Thanks Mike, i always wondered where that car came from, its been a couple yrs. since Ive seen the car....Al

8. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

I really like the street number.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

9. SOHC427

SOHC427

Dennis, do you have a office full of these little history trinkets?
    That is a good address.
    Thanks for keeping tabs on these cars!!
    Eric

10. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Thanks Dennis I'll show that to Rick. I'll Send you a E-mail tonight send you some Photos that arent on here.

Check out some of the Galaxie pics From Rick Hearns Collection on Eric's thread. Starting at the Bottom of 22

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356918&page=22

11. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Here's a cleaned up version of the same pic for everyone's files.

Len

Attached Files:

12. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Here's a decent early pic of the Wendle Tbolt at the 64 Winternationals.

Len

Attached Files:

13. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Craig,

Here's a better pic of your dad's car in 1964.

Len

Attached Files:

14. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Here's a fresh pic of the Wickersham Tbolt in 64.

Len

Attached Files:

15. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Looks like the trip paid off Len.
    More great history.
    Tom S.

16. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

It sure did Tom. I met a lot of wonderful folks and I would like to publicly thank each and every one. Some are on this forum and many are not. All of them were generous with their time, info, and hospitality. Each of those people will share the composite result. I will publicize some here as well.

Len

Attached Files:

17. 1BADFE

1BADFE

Mr. Freebern,

Thanks for the new pics!!! Very cool!! Love the shot of the Wendle T-Bolt!

18. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Len; Are you going to compile a book?
    Reserve my copy now and indorse the cover please.
    Tom S. in Tn.

19. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

No Tom. No book or endorsements, at least by me anyway. Besides, the info isn't mine per say. Just a collection of numerous voluntary inputs. I may donate everything someday to an experienced automotive book writer. My only goal is not to have this info disappear. If I can attain that goal I'll be happy enough.

The attached pic is me sitting in my old Tolt at Jim Sartori's place where the car currently resides for the 1st time in 40+ years. That alone was worth the price of admission! Jim's the best. I'm glad my old tbolt is with such a great guy.

Len

Attached Files:

Sart156 likes this.
  20. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Well, I guess I'll answer my own question. Glidden bought the Ronda's Tbolt from a Jeff Wittig in Port Orchard, WA in 1974. Still don't know the owners between Ronda and Wittig.

I've attached a couple of pics. One with Wille D./Lyle Smith racing the current configuration and Harold Stout driving it under the Glidden colors. All great guys.

Len

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  21. Race Artist

Race Artist

Great pictures Len, thanks for sharing them here. Much appreciated.
    Joel

22. Race Artist

Race Artist

Great pictures of the Rick Hearn car Mercury Junky, thanks for sharing all of them with us. Much appreciated.
    Joel

23. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

I'm sure (or at least pretty sure) King Ford or Jim Price didn't own the car for 20 yrs. from 64 to 1984. Does Jim recall it's previous ownership and racing history?

Len

24. RICKHEARN11

RICKHEARN11
    from COLORADO

hi , yes the stock exhaust was functional , the h-pipe in the collectors ran into a small connectro pipe on the right side , then bak to the campbells soup muffler in the rear.

25. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Rick, welcome to the Thunderbolt thread. As an owner/driver of an original Thunderbolt in 1964, you must have some stories that everyone would love to hear. How about letting us in on your early days of racing Fords.

The Kentuckian

26. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I'm wondering who DST used for making Thunderbolt headers?
    Tom S. in Tn.

27. Falconred

Falconred

Don't know, Jardine was pretty big into Fords back in the sixties but that may have been later than the T-Bolts.

Dennis, where are you?

28. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

It's my understanding that DST themselves made their own jigs from which they fabricated the original headers. I'm sure they did the ones on the 62 & 63 Tasca "proof of concept" cars. Eventually in 64 you are correct that the typical 'header' manufacturers got into the act asap, particularly Bellanger, S & S, Jardine, and even Stahl. They experimented with different diameters, lengths, bends, collector size, etc. in order to improve and sell their various versions. In my opinion the first to develop a non bolt-together design accomplished the most. There was an inherent problem with the bolt together design of having a mis-match step where the two pieces bolted together which obviously didn't lend itself to a smooth flow of exhaust gases.

If you reference the list of parts Ford procured for the construction of the 2nd group of 39 Fairlane Dragsters there's no sub contractor or part no. assigned for the headers. The only part number mentioned in the 'exhaust' area is the muffler which was assigned G-52-R and was supplied by United Auto Supply Co.

Len

29. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

A more complete photo of the Bob Ford/Harvey 623 auto car.

Len

Attached Files:

30. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

So there is no part # for the headers?
    Many other parts unrecognized in the parts manuals?
    Where could a person obtain a copy of a Thunderbolt parts manual?
    Is there only parts manuals for the second run of cars, none for the first?

This has gotten my curiosity started again. I still have my collection of Chrysler published technical support bulletins released on every topic from stockers to blown fuel, so I wonder if anything pertaining to a Thunderbolt ever appeared in any FMC service and repair literature?

Prior to Dennis K posting of part #'s for windows and fenders etc, I never realized these cars were anything more than some kind of aftermarket modified Fairlane, kind of on the scale of dealer prepped Novas or Camaros, instead of a car recognized as an actual specialty production run automobile by Fomco, not unlike ambulances and police pursuit cars.
    Seeing Thunderbolt part #'s from actual FMC parts books changed my whole perspective and opened my eyes to the real historic value of these autos. And some may argue, but I say autos even more valuable than perhaps similarly specialty prepped vehicles from Holman Moody & Stroppe.

Sorry for all the questions, but the past year or so has been very eye opening for me looking back at the way we used the Hagewood Mtrs. car.
    Tom S. in Tn.