Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod first aid...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gator, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator

On the way to Indy for the Road Rocket Rumble a few weeks ago I had a blowout on my '55 Caddy. Thanks to fellow Poorboy Earlschieb at least I had a spare! Normally, changing a tire is no big deal - but doing it on a lowered, two and a half ton car on a loose shoulder while cars whiz by inches from your ass can add a pucker factor.

Anyway, in all the excitment I did something the Navy taught me NOT to do - I stuck my finger somewhere I wouldn't stick my pecker... the result?

[​IMG]

This was a good one too -right down to the bone! Probably could have used several stitches, and I didn't even have a BAND-AID with me. So I poured some water on it and wrapped it with electrical tape. Sound familiar? It ended up infected and I now have another ugly scar on my hand - but chicks dig scars, right?

So back to the point of the thread - a first aid kit. Shit happens on the road, and not just tour our cars. Kinda like a fire extinguisher, you usually don't think about it till you need it! You can buy an OK first aid kit for less than $10 at Wal-mart, etc, but it's easy to make one yourself.

First you'll need something to put it in. Any small seal-able container will work, I picked up this little zippered nylon bag for $3.

[​IMG]

Next for the contents. Most of this stuff I scrounged up around the house, I was a Firefighter/EMT back in the day and had some leftovers. Again, you can get this stuff at Wal-mart, Dollar store, etc. Mine includes;

Assorted band-aids, including knuckle, fingertip, large & small bandages, and butterfly sutures.

Sterile pads, stretch gauze and medical tape - for larger wounds.

Tongue depressors, which can be used for finger splints, etc.

Tweezers for splinters, etc and a razor knife and/or scissors.

Antiseptic wipes, hand sanitizer, sting-eze and anti-biotic cream.

Emergency blanket.

[​IMG]

Sorted out and put into a few Zip-loc bags;

[​IMG]

And all in the pouch.

[​IMG]

If you have multiple cars it's easy to move car to car, but it's cheap enough to have one in every vehicle.

I also think everyone should consider first aid / CPR training, it's a good feeling to be able to help people out when they need it, whether it's a boo-boo or a heart attack. You can usually get it free at your local Fire Department / Red Cross.

Be safe out there!

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

hope you never have to use it Gator

3. always carried tools...never thought about this. Good idea.

4. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Nice little first aid kit and thanks for the tip. Add some super glue to that list.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have one in my DD station wagon, wife's Blazer, and every tool box but not in the '50 Ford.....Now I have a reminder to do so. Thanks!

6. You're smarter than you look, Gator ;)

7. Gator

Gator

Good tip - that woulda helped out on the first pic.

That ain't saying much Mike. :eek:

BTW guys, feel free to add any ideas to this thread.

8. Consider the source......I put the ugh in ugly :eek:

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good idea there. I have a small first aid kit in the glove box but it is a bit lacking. I've found out over the years that I dug out as many band aids for other people as I did for myself when I'm out doing car or boat stuff.

10. 56Firedome

56Firedome

bobby sox was on the money with the Super Glue suggestion. Amazing how well it works for big cuts. Just dont glue your good fingers to the bad one.;)

11. Great common sense idea. Worked with old electrician and when he did something like you he would tear off a piece of his t-shirt wrap up area then use electricians tape sticky side up and the wrap it again sticky side down. another thing i keep in my box is a unlubed condom that was really handy and had multiple uses!:rolleyes::D

12. How crude, you forgot to wrap the finger with paper toweling before the tape? No wonder it got infected !:D I suppose in theory carrying the first-aid kit would work because when I carry a toolbox I don't seem to break down so with the first-aid kit on board ........

13. river1

river1

toss a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the kit. they usually cost 99 cents or so and would help prevent your infection.

later jim

14. rld14

rld14

Go to the junkyard... Lots of BMWs, Audis and Mercedes have em. Old Benzes usually have really nice ones. I have a couple that I've snagged out of Benzes that we've sent to the auction.

15. After last weekend I plan to carry a complete first aid kit. Gater hope the hand is doing ok