Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Cranbrook shift linkage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53Cranbrook, Jul 12, 2012.

1. 53Cranbrook

53Cranbrook

I just bought my first plymouth.. the problem is the shift linkage, all were in the trunk and none line up when I try. Could someone explain where they go or post a picture of the right way to install them ? Not sure but I hope they are all there...

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Pretty complicated to explain verbally.....look for a shop manual page with an illustration...........the old "a picture is worth................"

Ray

3. 390kid

390kid

what transmission is it?

4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Buy a manual.

5. 53Cranbrook

53Cranbrook

I have the manual but there are no clear pictures in it. It has the HyDrive transmission.

6. 390kid

390kid

how many pieces?

7. 53Cranbrook

53Cranbrook

I have a curved rod about 10 inches, the rod for the kickdown, the e brake cable and a rod that has a screw adjuster and flat on the end.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It's not a "kickdown". the trans in a Hydrive is the same box in a regular stick shift. The difference is in the fluid coupling.

The trans is what's known as a "selector" type......The trans shift arm that hangs down the side is the primary shift lever. It moves for all 4 positions (1st, 2nd, 3rd, Rev)....however, which pair it shifts into (1st/Rev or 2nd/3rd) depends on the position of the lever at the upper rear. It is the "selector".

So, here's the drill....when you move the shift lever on the steering column up and down (towards ceiling or floor) and the lever at the bottom of the column moves accordingly, THAT lever connects to the main shift lever on the trans.

There is a second lever at the bottom of the column.....it is activated by pulling the shift lever at the steering wheel towards the steering wheel......that one is connected to the smaller trans lever at the upper rear of the case.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  9. bct

bct

you are a good guy ray, nice explination.

10. 53Cranbrook

53Cranbrook

Thanks, that makes sense.In front of the two levers there is another bracket that goes into the trans. below the speed cable, what is that for ? Thanks a million for helping and letting me pick your brain

11. 53Cranbrook

53Cranbrook

Thanks for not making me feel stupid cause of the kickdown thing.. hopefully everyone started out like me and I will end up like y'all !:D

12. this trans is called a "selector" type trans.....in a regular three speed trans, there are two arms on the side...the front arm is 2nd and 3rd......the other is 1st and reverse....now on your mopar this does not apply at all....when you move the shifter from neutral toward the steering wheel, you are moving the smaller selector lever from the 2nd-3rd gate to the 1st-reverse gate....the "main" shift lever moves the gears to the different speeds...pull to the steering wheel and the main lever controls 1st-reverse....push away from the wheel the selector lever moves to 2nd-3rd gate...now the main lever when moved up is 2nd gear...pull straight down and you are in 3rd or "high gear"......pulling the lever from neutral toward the wheel either (depending on what year car) will move a piece of shifter rod or a cable.....very easy to hook up....the selector lever on the trans is spring loaded...the main selector lever has distinct "notches"...should be three positions...put it in the middle and the gear lever should be horizontal....the selector "spring loaded" lever should be pushed as far as it will go by the spring.....now hook up the rod or cable to it...you should be able to pull the lever on the trans with the gearshift lever...you're done !...hope this helps.

13. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

i will try and take a picture tonight of my 3 speed on my 54 plymouth

14. 53Cranbrook

53Cranbrook

that does help ! It looks so easy when you look at it, I was afraid that the previous owner who isnt around anymore might have changed the rods. Out of the rods that I have one is straight with nothing on the end to attach to anything and the other is curved.

15. 53Cranbrook

53Cranbrook

I would appreciate that ! I have the repair manual and ordered the hydrive manual today. I want to get this thing from daily pusher to daily driver !!

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think there is (or is supposed to be) a small bellcrank toward the front of the trans, or on the bellhousing, that transfers motion from the "selector" shift arm and rod from near verticle at the column to more horizontal along side the trans to move the upper rear lever. That requires two rods on that part of the linkage.

Ray

17. 53Cranbrook

53Cranbrook

Here are the two rods I have. The clutch rod and the rod from the column isnt connected.. it just seems like something is missing...

Attached Files:

18. 53Cranbrook

53Cranbrook

After days of looking mine doesnt have this.. after seeing the picture a little ( 6volt) light bulb went on.. So next question, can I get a universal clutch rod and it work ? The only rod I have is the threaded one on the left without the female coupler.

Attached Files:

19. ....Nah...I just have an old 1940 Plymouth coupe and several spare transmissions.:D.....I'm all checked out on early Mopar three speeds and Fluid Drives....If he follows the instructions carefully, he'll be driving it instead of complaining about it.