Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early ford front suspension question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mooseman, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Mooseman

Mooseman

Haha I have to satisfy me though haha I want it to appear like someone modified a original frame, hence why I want to use actual ford crossmembers like a model a for the front and a 39 for the rear.

2. Mooseman

Mooseman

After referencing my hobby car manual, you cannot weld your I beam down here. Good thing I checked up on that. I will keep reading and see what it says regarding shock mounts.

3. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

What is original ? many spacings , whos guna know Moose .Sometimes the little things like this may just make it harder for ya .

4. Mooseman

Mooseman

I will know and thats all I care about. people put factory rivet holes in ASC 32 rails all the time there are many examples right here on this very forum just look up any car built by Brian Bass.

5. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

I like rivets , hope ya dont use metric bolts & nylocks .

6. Mooseman

Mooseman

Haha noooooooo

7. oj

oj

That might be an interesting read. How would we be able to get that manual?

Well, how about just drilling a hole, add a spacer and bolting the shock with a thru-bolt? No welds.

8. Mooseman

Mooseman

I am having a hard time finding anything regarding shock mounts will have to keep reading. The hobby car manual can be braught through the NZ hotrod association. It costs a little bit but it is the bible we live by down here. It is a set of standards that have to be adhered to when building a hotrod down here so as to not allow dangerously unsafe vehicles being built, the cars must also be checked by a qualified certifier to make sure they are upto standard before being allowed on the road legally.

Call it what you want but it keeps things safe. It is also not as limiting as it sounds.

9. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

There is a HAMBer on here that goes by Deuce Daddy Don. He sells copies of blueprints that show all of the stock 32 frame dimensions including the stock holes.
    Very detailed and well worth the money.

-Mitch

10. 97

No drilling between perch and king pin either.
    You can buy the HCM from the NZ Hot Rod association at http://hotrod.org.nz/Merchandise Page Files/Hobby_Car_Technical_Manual.htm .

Written by Tony Johnson ..boss of the Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association . They work with the government transport agency to formulate the laws and rules for building and legally registering a hobby type car in New Zealand. www.LVVTA.co.nz

11. I had a fucking brilliant idea from this thread, mixed with what i've already done with my own Model A..

Basically i did the part from the Vern Tardel book regarding F1 / Dodge front shock mounts although it may be different on a '32 frame but on my original Model A frame i was able to drill out the two outer of three rivets for the front crossmember.. and then heat and bend the mounts to resemble something that will work.. like so:

[​IMG]

But then i had the same drama of "How the fuck do i mount the lower shock mount??" and i also found that it made the front a bit too "Busy" with trying to do headlight mounts and stuff..

UNTIL..

I read this thread, and thought hang on.. why don't i just flip the mounts around, face them backwards and mount the lower shock off a mount on the side / top of the wishbone (depending on shock length). I went up to the shed and had a look and i'm 99.9% sure this is going to solve my lower shock mount issues along with the busy front end problem.

So thats what i'd be doing with that one ;)