Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early ford front suspension question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mooseman, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Mooseman

Mooseman

This has probably been discussed before but I can't find it.

I wasn't around back in the day and am trying to get an idea of somethings and how they would have been done back then.

First off. I have original stock ford f1 upper shock mounts for the front and am wondering what would have been done back in the day in regards to the lower shock mount?

Secondly front spring was there a prefered year of spring and is there one that is lower then the others or are they all generally the same?

Thirdly wishbones, once again was there a prefered year and when split what was the way to mount them back in the day?

Also what kind of tie rod end are these being used on this wishbone.

2. Avgas

Avgas

Bloody Kiwi's! Moosan, what year chassis you building? F1 top mounts, as they are or if required bend to fit, 32 34 front radius rods are user friendly, that's not a tie rod, it's the end of a drag link or tie rod, hope your questions were answered, Wayne

3. 117harv

117harv

Those are model A tie rod ends.

4. Avgas

Avgas

Every days a school day!

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

32s also. I like them strictly for looks.

6. Mooseman

Mooseman

It will be a deuce frame using ASC rails.

7. Mooseman

Mooseman

Hey tommy is that shock mount drilled through the axle?

8. Ole don

Ole don

If you ask for a new cataloge from Speedway Motors, your questions will be answered. Most of the parts should be available to you locally. I like to see the later model ball joints used at the end of the radius rods in welded in bungs. It has a cleaner look that way. Good luck.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Yes this was done by a previous builder probably in the late 60s. I restored the tie rod but the shock mounts were done before I got it.

[​IMG]
    I put original F-1 upper shock mounts on my sport coupe with no bending. I had to grind the head of the upper bolt to fit inside the frame channel. (I have since picked up a set of cut down F-1 upper Mounts with old chrome that were once on an old 32 3W.) I did wimp out and buy the streetrod SS lower shock mounts

[​IMG]

I took this picture because of the upper shock mounts. (not mine) They are actually bolted to the bottom of the frame with a spacer inside to distribute some of the weight to the top flange. It's the only one I've ever seen done this way.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  10. Mooseman

Mooseman

Thanks. I might have to get one of those cataloges. I know there are new parts available that would do everything I want but I don't want parts that look out of place on it. I am trying to find as much original stuff as I can so that I can get it to be as it would have been if someone had built it in the 50's. So parts selection is critical. I even plan on using a genuine ford axle as I have a couple of those.

11. Mooseman

Mooseman

If I can find the dimensions I plan on even transfering the original holes that would have been in a 32 frame onto my ASC rails.

12. alchemy

alchemy

Here's my take on early hot rod suspension gleaned from reading thousands of vintage magazines. I'm not old enough to have "been there".

First: I've seen lots of studs welded to the front of the axle near the spring perch.

Second: Usually the spring from the original car was used. You could remove leaves and round the ends to taste. Then maybe reverse the eyes for another inch.

Third: Use the wishbones from the car you are building. No reason to search for others if the originals are sitting there in the pile.

Last: If a builder had F-1 upper shock mounts available to him, he probably would have used the tie rod ends from the same era for his split wishbones. Granted the A/B ends have a very nostalgic/different look, but they are probably too early to be used with the F-1 parts.

13. Mooseman

Mooseman

Thanks, I just got that vern tardel how to build a trad hotrod book, and it has lots of handy info regarding parts to use. Just got it today.

14. Mooseman , be aware that you won't get that ( Drilling an axle between the kingpin and the perch ) through the cert system here in NZ .

Good on you for wanting to build a PROPER hot rod too !

15. Mooseman

Mooseman

Yeah but would a welded on threaded bung be ok?

16. RussTee

RussTee

Often a early model t spring was used these are refered to as tapered leaf springs they look a bit better as they taper in thickness as they reach the outside ends

17. Had you considered mounting shocks behind the axle and fabbing a lower mount
    onto your split bones ?

18. Mooseman

Mooseman

That might work I just don't want it to look horendously ugly.

19. Haha , thought you had learnt a bunch of metalworking skills young man ? :p

Just a simple double shear mount on the wishbone is all you need .

20. Mooseman

Mooseman

Haha rumours of my skills are greatly exagerated haha. mounting the shocks will probably be the last thing on the frame so will worry later. For now I have to try and bring life back into an original model a front crossmember once it gets to me.

I also need to find someone who knows where all the original holes are suppost to be on genuine deuce rails so that I can add them to my ASC ones.

21. r.e holes , Google is your friend but don't be surprised if you find 9 different answers !

22. 97

No, but do it anyway. :cool: ;)
    Read your HCM .

I have a copy of the original frame blueprints!.

23. Mooseman

Mooseman

Haha yeah I really should be reading that. I keep forgetting I have the HCM.

24. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Be careful what you see and read in magazines/books and internet . Get the Cert book also that we have to abide by. Its not all bad Moose.
    Good on ya .

25. Mooseman

Mooseman

I have the cert book I just keep forgetting to cross reference things.

26. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Why ? as been said there are many.Ive never understood why the importance of drilling to factory spec's.

27. Mooseman

Mooseman

Because if someone was building a hotrod using a deuce frame in the 50's it would have had those holes.

I am a sucker for little details.

28. oj

oj

Re: mounting the shock on the axle.
    I machine a stepped hole just above the kingpin and weld a bung into that hole. The bung sticks out past the axle so the shock has a shoulder to seat against and the bolt threads into the bung (1/2") and then is locked in place with a 1/2" jam nut on the back side.
    From reading this thread i gather this method not acceptable to the engineers down there? What is acceptable?
    Just curious, thanks oj

29. 97

Why do you think it is OK to weld a whole lot of stuff to wishbones and not OK to weld to or drill shock mountings to the axle?
    What about the axles that already have a factory hole there for swaybar and/or shock mounting... Ford Pilot and others come to mind!

30. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

But theres many different spacings ,could be even up to 8 .Ford done all sorts of things to make us wonder in later years.
    Sure as eggs , some one will say your drilled holes are not right . Dont get to bent up in the 'minor' detail.