Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage GOODGUYS QUESTIONS???? What Do You Want To KnoW????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

It's funny that you mention this. I work out of town for a living and no matter if I am gone 2 days or 50 days when it is time to go home some mental thing kicks in and it's time to go. Probably 99% of the people I work with are like that. It might take 2 days to drive to work but you can stay up 22 hours straight to drive home. And Sundays is another phenomenon, we used to go to the lake and it was always cool to go thursday but come Sunday at noon, it's time to go. lol.

I've been lucky enough to make it to a couple GG events (Nashville & Dallas pre Sunday deal) and enjoyed them thoroughly but if I want to see new cars I have 3-4 car shows locally every weekend I can go see new cars at. If I am driving 8-10 hours to a GG event I want to see pre 72 cars.

2. Hi Kirk,

I didn't make Columbus this year for personal reasons, but from what I hear it was pretty good, but hot.

I have talked to many people that were there (Some hamb freindly and some not) and most had the same comments, many are out of your hands, but one I found odd, they said there were MANY cars on Sunday that won 2 or even 3 awards, Why? With the amount of cars that attend these events, can the awards not be spread out for more to enjoy?

I understand the Super Sunday thing, business is business, but if it will helps bring just a few younger people out, then it can't heart anything.

On a side note, the new location for the east coast nationals was great, were the numbers good?

And yes I agree that some new locations need to be looked at to replace some of the shows that no longer exsist.

Later

Eric

3. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

could you get it slightly photo shopped to make you look less like a cat?

4. Bingo!! I have always wondered the same thing. At a show with a couple to several thousand cars, and only roughly 60 awards given out. Why would some cars get multiple picks? I have seen on a rare occassion one car win three awards! How about spreading it around? It is not like there aren't enough nice cars out there to pick from. It actually sends a shiver up my spine when going though the gazzette and I see a picture of a car with more than one winners sign on the windshiled when parked in the winners circle. It just seems to me it would be more fair to spread things out a bit. And it might slow down all the questions as to why so and so's car didn't get a pick.

And no one likes being compared to their competition. But I know for a fact that the other organization doesn't double pick for awards. If you get one sticker on your headlight, then you are done.

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

Good question. Internally we have a policy against doubling up on awards in order to spread the love. Although we sometimes screw up, most of then time you see that happen is when we have a builder choosing or another magazine like Street Rodder or Rod & Custom. They pick what they want regardless of what we choose.

6. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I gues I wasn`t clear enough. Can the preregistration packets be mailed out ahead of the show date to members so they can just drive into the show rather than stand in line to pick them up?

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

Ah, good question. I don't know the answer, but I will ask our ticketing/registration guru.

8. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Why dont we see any old bikes vintage stuff. hot rods and vintage bikes very cool

9. Marcy

Marcy

When are you getting your own reality TV series? You know, "What KIRK saw" in video form. Then maybe some guest appearances from Henry Winkler?

Marcy

10. KIRK!

KIRK!

Good question. We had our first bike show at the Summer Get-Together in Pleasanton in June and it was a HUGE hit. We are already confirming it for next year. It was put on by a local group, so if you know of one near you let me know.

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'm guessing, soon. If Ass Monkey can get one, they must be giving them out for free somewhere.

12. hemi

hemi

To clarify, it was bicycles at the Get-Together, and not motorcycles...

13. lucky ink

lucky ink

I got a good one I pulled in to goodguys in Columbus on Sunday in my wife's stock pt cruiser and was ask if I was registering lol haven't been there on a Sunday for years and thought what the hell are they talking about.....I was out of there by 12:30 place was not much to look at...sucked pretty bad just sayin..

14. Marcy

Marcy

Good.
    Yours would be truly entertaining, seriously.

Marcy

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

It may freak out the squares a little though.

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

Sunday was rough. The heat and the week of no electricity really did a number on the event.

17. i am a member of goodguys love it

dont care for the autocross , dont want to see the same stuff that i can see in any parking lot in town parked beside REAL cars, it wouldnt bother me if the "super sundays" included cars up to say 1980 but up to 2012 is ...well, rediculous.....

i was wondering if goodguys though about offereing a lifetime type membership or something simular

i havent ever entered a car at agoodguys when my 57 is done i will but it would be nice if after the "show" on fridaynight,saturday night there was an organised cruise or something i used to go to every mopar nationals in columbus and the best part of that show happened on brice road and other areas near the track at night i used to get a hotel room and spend from thursday night till sunday afternoon up there if goodguys had other things going on i wouldnt drive up saturday morning then drive home saturday evening its just alittle over 100 miles for me

it would be nice if the show was more of an exprience i mean in the heat shrunk show this past weekend i still took over 1000 pics which are posted here but if there was a cruise later in the evening i could take 1000 more there , just sayin

18. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

I know it may be a total nightmare. What about a peoples choice award. For the registered members?
    If you want to be considered just have a box to check on your registration window plaque. Might get a lot of folks out of their chairs. It would mean a lot to win an award picked by your peers.

19. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't wait! Of course, you'll have to appear as your avatar - yeah, that's it - Klownnn Karzz with Kirkk ... vic

20. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

KIRK, Thank You, Thank You, for this opportunity to ask questions.

1. I agree with Denise 100% on what she said. I have been fortunate enough to be awarded a few G.G. picks at different shows but had to decline due to the fact Sunday has to be my travel day, if they gave them out Sat. night I would glady stay, also it would provide Saturday night entertainment.

2. My second question is the huge increase in membership fees for Canadians, I understand there was an increase in postal rates but a how do you justify a USA rate of $35. compared to Canada's rate of $85. per year? The dollar exchange is no longer a factor. Thanks, Larry

21. bad4dr

bad4dr

There were some events going on at the host hotel, but they were basically just a copy of the show...cars with hoods up, folks walking around, lots of lawn chairs. However, back in the day, the host hotel was a real party scene on Friday night.

I wasn't there, but my buddy who went with me past two years used to go with his dad when he was a kid. In the late '80s, maybe into the early '90s, the Goodguys Columbus crowd really cranked it up at the host hotel. Burnout contests, hell-raising, lighting them up on 161, general hot rod hooligans. Cops let it go for the most part on Friday night, unless things got really out of hand. We expected to see the same thing this year and last year, but such was not the case. Maybe the attendees are just getting older, maybe they build their cars for mileage and dependability rather than burnouts and horsepower...could be a lot of things. But in any case, it seems like the old days are truly gone at Columbus.

Another thing that doesn't help is that the Friday night drags are all the way out in Hebron, a 45 minute drive from Columbus. So those of us who enjoy racing but don't much care for autocross are SOL unless we make the drive to National Trail...which we did last year, and were underwhelmed. Maybe growing up at Norwalk spoiled me, but for the largest Goodguys event on the calendar, there wasn't much going on at the strip.

Kirk, are there any plans to incorporate some of the more "horsepower-affiliated" events like a burnout competition or a dyno at Goodguys events in the future? Don't mean to cross the streams, but the Car Craft Nationals manages to pull it off every year...looks like a damn good time from the pics in their magazine.

22. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Hey Kirk, I've been to every Columbus and a dozen Indy Goodguys and I have no complaints.. I joined because I like the later models(up to 72) as well as the old stuff and I think The "Late model Sundays" is also fine.. You guys do a great job and thanks for having a couple of shows in my area for this old guy to attend.. Looking forward to the 2013 Goodguys and I hope it's not so f%*king HOT.. Milo

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

I like that!

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

The increase was never a factor of exchange rates, it's literally what our cost is to print and ship to Canada. I know it's a crazy price, but we realized that we were losing a bunch of money on each Canadian member. It sucked to have to raise it.

25. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, the city really started cracking down on the shenanigans.

Burnout contests have come up several times as options. I'll bring them up again. We do have a dyne at a few events. I know we've had one in Spokane the past couple of years.

26. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

1. Is there a swap meet at puyallup g.g.? The pleasanton one is awesome. They should all do it.
    2. Would LOVE to see a regular bike section which brings me to my next question- can i get a vendor booth that sells new bike parts and vintage motorcycle related apparel-even at the non bike events?

27. hotrodaddict

hotrodaddict

I don't really have a question but I do have an observation. I have attended dozens of Goodguys and nearly as many NSRA shows over the years and Goodguys beats NSRA in every area except for the giveaway program. Improving the "door prize" program would improve the show experience for more participants.

Oh Yeah, Keep the cutoff year at '72.

You guys do a great job.

28. KIRK!

KIRK!

1. Yes, it's small, but there is some good shit.

2. I keep pushing for a motorcycle section. Yes you can sell almost anything you want.

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

We are working on the sponsors for more product and less gift certificates for 2013.

30. hemi

hemi

I will add that with the exception of the Northwest events, people really don't cruise that much. We've had cruises after the events, and things like that, like the Twilight Cruise in Des Moines, and they are rarely attended by enough people to staff and police them. Folks get there so early to get the good spots, they are done... the bulk of the participants have gotten older since the '90s and they want a shower, a meal, and to go to bed.

The hotel parties, with a few exceptions, are usually made up of the people who are staying at that hotel, and a fraction of their friends or curious people who read the event flyer. We've had bands, activities, all kinds of stuff... and lots of people ask for something to do afterwards when it comes up, but it seems if it doesn't include free food so they can eat and bail, it's not that successful overall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.