Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage GOODGUYS QUESTIONS???? What Do You Want To KnoW????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KIRK!

KIRK!

I am working on my monthly column, Low Down, and I decided to do a question and answer thing because I get a ton of them at every event, via email and on the HAMB.

I have the usuals covered like:

-How do I get my car in the Gazette?

-Why didn't I win an award?

-How do I enter the AutoCross?

I know the dicks out there will have snide shitty questions, but I'm looking for real questions that you want real answers to.

I'm not saying that this should be a pat on the back session, you may have questions that seem negative. It's all in how you ask and if you really want an answer.

Ask away and I'll answer. If I don't know the answer I'll find someone who does.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Where do babies come from?

3. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

This is going to be good.

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm one of the ones that aren't happy with the "Super Sunday" program. Question: If enough folks aren't happy and the program doesn't grow the numbers will GoodGuys discontinue it at some point?

BTW, I will not be attending a GG Event on a Sunday while this "program" is in effect. I realize that I've paid my money for the entire weekend and me not attending on one day does nothing to the bottom line BUT it DOES effect the "look" and "feel" of the event on Sundays and could lead to a drop in spectator numbers, vendors not attending because car and spectator count dropped on Sundays, etc.

PS, I've missed seeing you and Brandon lately and hope all is well in your world.

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yes. Feedback is the best way for us to know what people like and don't like.

Just to explain, the reason Super Sunday came about is that Goodguys sells spectator tickets all three days and Sundays are usually pretty light on cars because the long distance people head home, which is understandable. Goodguys wants the event to worth people's money all three days. The general public comes to see cool cars and aren't as specifically minded as you and I and most HAMBers are.

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

God poops them out.

7. onedge

onedge

What is at the core of what GG's events are?

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

I don't understand.

9. Drewski

Drewski

This may not be the type question you were looking for, but for years my Goodguys Gazette has arrived in my mailbox like clock work around the first part of each month. This month no Gazette. Where should I start to find out what happened? Post Office or Goodguys?

I've enjoyed all the events that I've attended, but I will have to say the Super Sunday thing is not on my favorite list. I don't care to see a line of late model Mustangs, Camaros, or Challengers with flashing color changing led lights or watching an HHR run autocross.

10. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Yeah, the "Super Sunday is kind of a waste of time for me. I understand GG's train of thought, and for non traditional car guys it might be entertaining, but I'm there for the old school rides. So I'll only be attending Saturday shows also.

11. I'll be at the 25th silver aniversary out in Washington state. Can't say I'm fond of the Sunday program either.

12. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i don't know why, but it blows my mind that some people have the nerve to ask why they didn't win an award. is that fucked up, or is it just me?

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

Technically you are supposed to inquire with the Post Office, but we all know how useless and frustrating that can be. I'd suggest calling our main number at 925.838.9876. One of the customer service gals will get you sorted.

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

It gets pretty old.

15. onedge

onedge

Ah what in your words does GG stand for? Want to provide? Ask for? Just in general...

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

OK, getting a good feel for what people think about Super Sunday. If you are inspired, send me an email at [email protected] stating how you feel. Remember intelligent emails are going to be listened to mores than rants.

I'll pass every one of them along to the proper powers.

17. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I've attended all the GG shows in Socal since they started, ie Orange County and Del Mar. I think you people put on a hell of a show and I always enjoy myself, on Saturday only. Besides my '32 Ford I have taken my late model ('65 Olds Vista Cruiser) so I'm not adverse to later cars but I still think the '72 cutoff was good.

18. ken1939

ken1939

I understand they are opening up sundays to any car to come on the event fairgrounds. Is money such an issue that they are doing this?

I was a fan of Gary Meadors for leaving the NSRA back in the day, but now its just another association to belong to.

Haven't been a member of either since 2002

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

Hmmm... Still a little confused, but I'll try to answer.

The fundamental goal of Goodguys is to provide a fun and entertaining experience for enthusiasts and families. I know that some people look at Goodguys as some big evil corporation - I know I did before I worked here - but it's not. We spend 2-3 hours every Tuesday meeting about our direction and discussing feedback from customers and members. We honestly try to do the right thing by as many people as we can, but we all know that you can't please everyone all the time.

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If you people are the Goodguys, then who are the Badguys?

It's sounds like a trivial and stupid question. I grant you this. But, it's important for a man like me... a man with such intricate and deviant plants to take over the whole god damned world... to know such a thing so that I can look out for these terrible people and avoid their presence at all costs.

21. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with you as long as the judging criteria are clearly explained ahead of time. Obviously all judging is ultimately a matter of opinion, but I think that many people asking "Why didn't I win?" are honestly looking for feedback.

If they put a lot of work into their car and (based on the criteria they were told was being used to judge) don't understand how the winner's car was better than their's, then constructive feedback from the judges might be helpful. If the cars were very close and the judge made the decision based on subjective rather than objective reasons (i.e. "I just thought his car was cooler") then that's OK. Judges are allowed to be the judge. But if you actually thought someone's car doesn't measure up in some objective area, judges should not be reluctant to point that out.

22. slammed58buick

slammed58buick

Think so many people have the same fear I do about Super Sunday. If it takes off and does well for Goodguys, it is only a matter of time before the events are opened up like that for all three days. I do understand that we all have to be willing to change with the times now and then, but that is just one change a greater percentage of hot rodders do not want to happen. I know a large number of people who feel the same way Denise does, "I won't be staying for Sunday, even if I only live two hours from this event". Plus, a lot of people will quit going if it carries over into all three days. I know this is probably the worst idea ever, but if the car count is light on Sunday, why don't you sell spectators a reduced price ticket for Sunday? I can already think of a number of problems with that idea, but I thought I would through it out there.

23. Hot Rod "A" and Hot Rod "B" are traveling in the same direction on the interstate to a GG show. Hot Rod "A" is traveling at 80 mph and Hot Rod "B" is traveling at 90 mph. Hot Rod "A" passes mile marker 332 at 12:20 P.M. Hot Rod "B" passes the same mile marker at 12:32 P.M., at what time will Hot Rod "B" catch up to Hot Rod "A"?

Oh and thanks for starting to post show coverage on here again KIRK!

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

We are working on a BIG change to membership that will make it a whole new ballgame and WAY worth the $35.

25. John Denich

John Denich

Hey KIRK.....I see all the posts on here bagging GG about the costs of the shows, and saying GG is only in it for the money! maybe you should explain what expenses go into a show! And that Good Guys is an organization for ALL car people not just Traditional cars, and if it were they would be out of business fast! and to get sponsors and manufacturers to attend you have to have an audience not 60 traditional cars! I think Super Sunday is a great idea it exposes the people with the new Mustangs and Challengers to ALL different cars...the cars we like! maybe they will build or buy a traditional car! I think most of the bashing GG gets on here is because its the cool thing to do! If you go to an event go with an open mind you will have fun! My only gripe is get the rooms cheaper at Del Mar!

26. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

The Super Sunday issue is a necessity of everyone heading home Saturday so I have no problem with it. Makes me feel less guilty of not attending on that specific day.
    You gotta give spectators something and if we aren`t willing to stay Sunday then Super Sunday is the solution.

This last Sunday the show was about 1/3 rd of its Saturday size including the swap meet area.

The three shelter houses had one half filled on Sunday morning.

As for the cost of the event entry fee, back in the eighties it was about $65 to get my car in for Street Machine and Supernats events.

Had more hair and less money back then too...

27. McKee

McKee

Wet T-Shirt Contest !,... thats all I'm sayin'.

28. alchemy

alchemy

I can answer this one! At the registration tent.

Kirk, I saw my first "Super Sunday" at this year's Des Moines show, and can say I didn't like it. There were not a huge amount of new cars there, but what I saw was enough. I hope it does not grow. New Camaros and Mustangs are not what 99.99% of the drivers and spectators come to see. As three new cars rolled across the awards stage, I could hear the crowd wince (gotta listen closely).

29. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Why did they cancel Bowling green, KY ? I know bad weather hurt the second year but i think it could have been a great show if they would have given it a chance.

30. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I have a question.It`s valid and not meant as a rant.

If we are members of Googuys and sign up for the shows, why can we not have our registration premailed to us so we can drive in without going thru the time consuming line before entering?
    Seems like that could reduce the bottleneck in the mornings.

Special Events used to do that and it was so nice to stick your card in the window and drive straight in on arrival. The cars aren`t inspected so what does the cattlecall lines do for Goodguys. I don`t enjoy it. In fact I make a point of driving up the day before to get my entry(2 hour round trip).

Ok maybe a little rant....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.