Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trailer Hitch for a model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Vandal, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Ok guys, I am going to take my tudor to bonneville speedweek and my wife just picked up this 10ft canned ham trailer. I was thinking of towing it with the model a. The trailer is very light but does not have trailer brakes.

questions
    1: should i?
    2: has anyone towed a camp trailer with a small hot rod?
    3: any one built a hitch for a model a?
    4: Any thing else i should consider?

Attached Files:

2. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

3. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I should probably mention that I have a bbc/th400.42-48 ford front brakes and a 9" rear end.

4. Butch11443

Butch11443

I've got one on my A pickup to tow a bike trailer. Iused a front bumper for the rear and went from there. Sorry, no picture.
    Butch

5. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

how about putting trailer brakes on the trailer?

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From a retired trailer mfg.---------Don't even try this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A utility light wt. trailer behind a Model A is one thing, but any travel trailer is a no,no!!
    The first thing you will encounter is when stopping fast, that "HAM" will push that light A around into a jack knife position & then a rollover is imminent!!!!!
    Adding brakes will NOT help you in that situation!--------Don

7. The trailer has to really outweigh the A to push it around, a little single axle camper behind it, say in the 1500 lb range, should be doable, but trailer brakes would be a good idea.

8. kingpins

kingpins

i just put a hitch on my model A pickup. i wont pull anything the size of that canned ham camper but a tear drop camper is what i wanna pull. truck has parallel leaf springs with front disc brakes and plan on building a trailor with brakes aswell.

9. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

I can't tell from the pix what you have for rear suspension, but in our 31 I made a hitch from piece of 3/8" thick 3" flat bar stock bent in a "Z" shape tied to two of the four bolts securing the transverse cross spring to the cross member and two drop down 1/4"X2" bars from the stock bumper brackets to just behind the ball.
    We never pulled a trailer like you describe but we did the nats in MN in 82 & 85 from San Diego pulling a heavy loaded luggage trailer, and several shorter runs to within a couple states many times. Until I sold it a couple years ago we pulled our 4X10' teardrop, also heavy loaded with crap to over night type runs.
    Neither of these trailers weighed anything near what that canned ham must weigh. I'd build a hitch and give it a try locally around your neighborhood to see how it pulls and more importantly how it stops.

10. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Thanks for your input everybody! Some have told me that im crazy and there probably right. But my brakes are 48 ford and late 70's in the rear, if I had a 48 ford towing the trailer no one would even think about it. But I put the same brakes on a model A and now some folks thinks im nuts:D. Anyone have pics of their set ups? Ive seen some built off the bumper but I dont have one.

11. ty johnson

ty johnson

Brakes are one thing, but the weight is another. Your A weighs about 2500 lbs? The spring rate is insufficient for another. I'd say no on this one.

12. Rogueman

Rogueman

The Model A should weight more that what it is pulling. My 30 pickup weights 2380. check the weight of the trailer.

13. HotRod31

HotRod31

It can be done safely...

Attached Files:

14. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

how was your hitch built hotrod31?

15. HotRod31

HotRod31

Dont have pics but it is done with 1 -1/2" sq. tube. my car also has a 9" rear & 4 wheel disc I imagine my camper is lighter than yours also

Later, Mark

16. pitman

pitman

Lets look at a couple of load considerations. The BBC & TH400 weigh how much? And are on the front half of the chassis. The rear of your car looks cartoon-ishly light in weight. If you had 2 large batteries and a full fuel tank back there, I'd say maybe..., AND a full toolbox?
    Yep, depends upon the trailer's weight, and a planned out tongue weight to stabilize it. If the heavy loads can be within the car, and the trailer done empty, then the cards look a little better.

17. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

I got a 10' Shasta compact ( <1000 lbs EASY !!) You can pull the trailer with NO PROBLEM.
    I made a "Reese" Hitch... Sort of. HERE GOES:
    2" square tubing welded and braced to rear of frame VERTICA, with two pins.
    Reese type insert, "L" shaped, goes UP into reciever. When not towing, it's invisible. Sorry, no pics, got rid of the car. Never took any....

18. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

I will say (as above ) my Shasta's tongue wieght is almost NOTHING !! SOooo...put some weight on it ! The tongue that is... I don't have a fridge or stove , or propane bottles up there either, so that's why mine is soooo light.

19. pitman

pitman

10% or 150 lbs?
    And the HAMB should remain a "no-jacknife" site. :rolleyes:
    Duece Daddy Don is right. In Utility vs travel trailer types.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a half dozen friends who have pulled trailers that size behind pre 1935 cars for years without issues.

Definitely build a frame mounted hitch. You can usually pick up A Reese or Valley hitch at a yard sale or flea market for less than the cost of the steel tubing to make one and modify it to fit the A's frame.
    Keep the load in the trailer balanced and don't overload it.

21. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

ive seen a couple pictures of hitches made out of front axles, way back when....

22. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I think I would take D.D. Don's advice and NOT DO IT!! Seems like the weight ratio would be to close to the model A and sounds like the formula for $&*&(&$$$*().....

23. People pulled trailers all over the country, in the 20s and 30s, with "T"s, "A's, old Chevys and every other make of car, with puny 4 bangers, mechanical brakes, marginal cooling systems and so forth.

24. pitman

pitman

Uh huh, with multi-tasking perm-hair-chemically induced distracted texting SUV-ed unstable platforms on un-patrolled interstates.
    I know...too many bars in the above.
    And I thought the cell-phone lobbiests were our friends?:mad:

25. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Ok guys I figured I would post what I did in just in case someone else is crazy enough to want to do this. A friend of mine gave me a bumper-mount style hitch and I went from there. The trailer pulls nice behind the tudor. Not very much tongue weight on the 1200lb trailer. I think I will get trailer brakes in the near future.[​IMG]

26. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

And there it is

Attached Files:

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That would scare the s*** out of me. :eek: It is one thing if the roads are smooth and no crosswinds, but every time a trailer truck would blow by me I would be holding my breath. A low profile tear drop is one thing, but look at the profile of that trailer vs the car.

And yes, people did tow trailers with similar weight and sized cars in the 20's and 30's, but there were hardly any cars on the road and they went about 30-40 mph.

Good luck and stay safe.

Don

28. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I got some long ugly peep mirrors and some stiff shocks and hit the freeway today. I was pleased with how well the car did with the trailer . Off to Billetproof Friday with the camper!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  29. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

X 2 for me.
    Is your frame boxed.
    That hitch looks sturdy but sure aint pretty.
    Is the hitch also attached to the rear of the body subframe?

30. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Have you ever seen a "pretty" trailer hitch?