Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Can U identify the metal used on these finials & how do I clean them??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart, Jul 12, 2012.

1. The bumper on the 28 Chevy that I bought here on the HAMB has some nice finials on each end.The finials are corroded,tarnished and dull so I've tried several things to shine them.
    One has a scratch and the metal under the corrosion is a shiny yellow.

I bought a can of "Brasso" which claims to polish brass,copper,stainless,chrome,aluminum,pewter & bronze ..it did nothing.
    I very lightly tried a Brillo pad, Turtle wax Chrome & metal cleaner,just plain soap & water,all to no avail.. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Lee Iacocca had a similar problem with the Statue of Liberty. (don't know the extent of the solution, but the Lady was all apart...)

3. squirrel

squirrel

They are probably nickel plated brass, and most of the nickel has corroded away over the years. If you want them shiny, get them replated.

I could be wrong

4. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

From here it looks to be bronze. We get old urns at work here once in a while that look just like that. we use brasso too, but it takes like way beyond forever to get them ok again. Dont know a better solution. -GothY-

5. 19-c

19-c

what about a buffer and some tripoli

6. squirrel

squirrel

btw it's gonna look funny with something shiny sticking out of all that rust...once you start, you can't stop, and you'll end up restoring the whole car.

7. Brasso I think they still make it.

8. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Use a scotch brite red pad and twist it evenly around. Then you can use lemon juice or brasso etc to rub a nice finish onto it...
    then as soon as you touch it, it will turn black again...

9. Looks to me to be nickel plated steel that has been polished off and the copper is oxidizing. Paint them or replate them in nickel.

10. You DOG :D! I was trying to get those bumpers off of the seller a while ago!!!

If I ever get back to FL, will you let me take some good pics/sketches/tracings of them?

Congrats, Bill

11. Oh, you might try some Wright's Silver polish, if there's any nickel left on the finials :)