Register now to get rid of these ads!

35-36 Ford rear wishbones...strengthened, drilled and polished!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 117harv, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Keep it up!

117harv likes this.
  2. 117harv

117harv

HPIM7067 (Small).JPG HPIM7069 (Small).JPG HPIM7073 (Small).JPG HPIM7082 (Small).JPG HPIM7083 (Small).JPG HPIM7089 (Small).JPG HPIM7090 (Small).JPG I ground down all the plug welds and the ugly factory seam, as well as all the factory orange peel. I went over some areas with a flat file, this let me know where more material needed removing and to just straighten things up. After i ground off the factoy seam i grabbed some grinding dust off the floor and sprinkled it the legnth of the weld and bounced it on the bench a couple times, poor mans magna flux;) I draw a line down the tube right where the dust stayed with a sharpie. I then cut down the line with a cut off wheel, i make a second pass with the wheel cocked abit to open up the cut more. The factory weld is full of, well who knows what, but i burn all the bad out and weave side to side to fill in all the porosity. I had to sharpen the tungsten a dozen or more times as stuff pops up out of the weld ....man it's ugly:eek:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    woodz likes this.
  3. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

This is the ultimate answer to the "Failed '36 Wishbone" thread...

Great work Harv, I have always done them the easy way by adding an upper link. Your way is better.

4. Not for long.

117harv likes this.
  5. Thinking of this for some time, and here´s the answer.Making it much easier for me.Thanks Harv. Nice job.

6. 117harv

117harv

HPIM7173 (Small).JPG HPIM7175 (Small).JPG HPIM7174 (Small).JPG HPIM7179 (Small).JPG HPIM7186 (Small).JPG HPIM7183 (Small).JPG Welded, ground, filed, repeat several times and all is deemed good. The last pic in the above post is shown below, weld ground smooth. Welding up the factory seam is a pain for sure, no matter how many times i go over it there will still be pin holes, albeit very small ones. Tomorrow the final polish will be done, 7" scotch brite pad at the ready. These pads lose about 50% of their affectiveness in the first minute, so i plan my strategy before hand, hitting the areas that need the most smoothing first and then move on.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    irishsteve, clem and woodz like this.
  7. studefreak

studefreak

Nice work !

117harv likes this.
  8. Pete

Pete

Thats some super sexy ass work! Nothing like secret squirrel updating a pair of 36 bones.

117harv likes this.
  9. Those are beautiful. You've got the hole sizes/spacing dead on too!
    Love that look, but sadly its too race-car looking for my build.

Bear:)

117harv likes this.
  10. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

You outdid yourself on these Badboys brother! Your metal fab skills are surgical and as usual your polishing is bar none!

KILLER!!!!

117harv likes this.
  11. Koz

Koz

Great tech Man! I always worry about running these 'bones "as is", but with this method I have no reservations. I can't wait to make a set for my new roadster.

117harv likes this.
  12. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Wow,well done , lots of time in those that the pics don't show

117harv likes this.
  13. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Wow, those look great.

117harv likes this.
  14. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

These turned out excellent.

15. 117harv

117harv

HPIM7206 (Small).JPG HPIM7199 (Small).JPG HPIM7215 (Small).JPG HPIM6664 (Small).JPG HPIM7205 (Small).JPG HPIM7208 (Small).JPG HPIM7166 (Small).JPG They're done, well atleast my part....thanks for the kind words guys:)

These were done for a fellow HAMBer, and per his request they are 60" from axle to tie rod center, 2 3/4" shorter than stock. There are a few threads on here showing these bones mounted in front with a front wishbone yoke. Both ways work, it's just a matter of preferance and/or frame style. Old parts saved from certain death to live on under a cool traditional hot rod...how cool is that...old parts RULE!:)

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    woodz and Avgas like this.
  16. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Mmmmm. Red Velvet. :D

Great job Harv. Best I've seen...

117harv likes this.
  17. Pinewood

Pinewood

So nice. So nice it's a shame they're going underneath a car!

117harv likes this.
  18. NORTH30FORD

NORTH30FORD

Great work!

117harv likes this.
  19. Very nice work, some great planning in that work

117harv likes this.
  20. 5w30

5w30
    from oregon

Wow those are a work of art and the attention to detail is amazing i really think these should be submitted to one of the rod magazines as a feathered article super nice work harv!!

117harv likes this.
  21. I agree killer craftmanship and a great tech thread!! It's so good I'm in the middle of copying it!! :)

117harv likes this.
  22. bigscooter

bigscooter
    from oregon

now i want some!

117harv likes this.
  23. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

[​IMG]

This picture should be rated "R".

Pure sexy!

117harv likes this.
  24. I have a question for you,as I mentioned I'm attempting a set right now.I like the idea of turing down the bar stock to fit into the threaded bungs to center everything.If I do that on the set of bungs I bought from speedway the tierod end will hit the bar stock limiting how much the tierod goes in goes into the bung.Your threaded ends look longer than the ones I bought where did you buy those??
    Thanks

25. 117harv

117harv

Firepower flyer, i was using Speedway bungs and they are good, but i got the last pair from Kenny's Rod & Custom. Kenny's are really nice, the taper was less leaving a bigger shoulder where the jam nut meets the bung.

For your question, the rod end on mine hit too, it left about 2 threads out past the jam nut. This is fine, but if you are having interferance, just shorten the step down where the strenght rod goes into the bung. You could also run a jam nut onto the rod end and cut off a 1/4" of the thread shank. The jam nut is your thread chase.

26. Ya I was thinking of shortning the tierod,I'm sure I'll never need all the adjustabilty.So the bung ends are from Kennys are the ones you used?Are they longer than the speedways?They look longer, I don't mind cutting them shorter but I would need to take off quite a bit,how much did you end up trimming on yours.Sorry for all the questions I just want to do it right once.

117harv likes this.
  27. Man Harv, those things are beautiful, you have got me reconsidering my rear now!!

117harv likes this.
  28. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

As always your work looks great.

117harv likes this.
  29. Avgas

Avgas

Very tasteful Harv, great work, Wayne

117harv likes this.
  30. swissmike

swissmike

Great work! Those things must weigh a ton...

117harv likes this.