Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. englands54

englands54

There is a picture of a yellow 41 plymouth..I believe it came from a motel in between Avala and Pismo Beach California..There was one just like it that sat there for 30+ years and I am thinking its that one.

2. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you n847. A flap wheel sounds good!:D

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Nice work Eric, that's another skill you can add to your CV

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

4. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Eric, i think Ryan will be proud to see that he's breeding almost book authors with his internet thing! But i don't wanna hear something from you like "future owners", hope you keep your masterpiece! ;)

Carsten[/QUOTE]

As sad as that would be.....don't you think Eric is more than likely a builder and not a driver? He'll buy another car and build it for us all over again!:D

5. farmer12

farmer12

Eric, i think Ryan will be proud to see that he's breeding almost book authors with his internet thing! But i don't wanna hear something from you like "future owners", hope you keep your masterpiece! ;)

Carsten[/QUOTE]

By future owners, I meant way, way, way in the future. I certainly need to do some serious driving first when the car's finished.

Thank you Steve!

As sad as that would be.....don't you think Eric is more than likely a builder and not a driver? He'll buy another car and build it for us all over again!:D[/QUOTE]

How about I keep the car AND build something else? I certainly have no plans to sell the car, but there are a few other cars out there I would like work on.....:rolleyes:

6. farmer12

farmer12

Hey Brian, good to hear from you again! It would be great to find out some more history of the car. (assuming it's the same one.) Any more info would be appreciated! Here are some other pics of the car. (btw, I think originally it was a dark red exterior color before it was painted yellow.)

Attached Files:

7. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Very nice job.

My next door neighbor has a 41 Plymouth 'businessman's coupe' he's been trying to sell me for years. I've never seen it. It was his father's (before he passed away) and has been sitting 'forever' in a garage across town. Supposedly it is in very solid condition. I don't want it....but maybe someone here does?

8. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you GregCon. Maybe take some pics of the car when you have a chance and post them. There are plenty of guys here that are into them/ need parts.

9. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Nice fabrication on the inner deck lid farmer12, thats going to be better than new. Love the pics of how the car was in post #2955! Would be awesome if you could find the original owners.

10. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Hogman. Finding the original owner or at least some history of the car would be great. Let's see if I can find out some more......Working on the the deck lid again tomorrow.:D

11. Paintguy66

Paintguy66

Great looking! I'm excited to follow along.....Plymouth Power baby!

12. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Paintguy66, glad to have you along for the ride!

13. farmer12

farmer12

Mounted the inner deck lid today to see how the fitment is. I want to get the shape correct first by repairing/extending the bottom first before I weld in the piece I fabricated last week. As you can see in the pics, the bottom needs to be rounded more, that way the space in the gutter will be equal all the way. (at the moment, the sides at the bottom are hitting the body.)

I'm going to make a few drawings tonight in order to get my thoughts on paper .......the fabrication will start this week.:D

Attached Files:

14. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Looks like the PO butchered the bottom part. With your skills you will have it looking better than new in no time. Still one of the best threads here on the hamb.

15. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the kind words Hogman. The bottom of the deck lid is going to be challenging due to the numerous amount of curves. Give me a little time.:D

16. farmer12

farmer12

Fabricated the first part of the bottom of the inner deck lid. I still need to tweek it slightly to get the right form. (it's just resting on pieces of cardboard at the moment so you get the idea.). The difficult part is going to be : how to join it to the inner deck lid in order for the outer shell to fit properly. What fun.:D:D:D

Attached Files:

17. farmer12

farmer12

Yes, finally found a belt tensioner that will (probably) work on my engine. It originally belongs on Citroen models (years ago) and it's NOS! Picking it up tomorrow!

Attached Files:

18. speed v8

speed v8

I can recall that you had limited space between the electric fan and the waterpump, this may just be the solution. love your work.

19. Blackcherry

Blackcherry

Great find...???what's a Citroen;);):D:rolleyes:

20. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you speed v8. According to my measurements it should fit......I'll know for sure tomorrow when I pick up the tensioner.:D

21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

The answer isnt always in expensive hi-performance parts,i hope that tensioner will work with your hemi.

22. farmer12

farmer12

I picked up the tensioner today and it will work just fine! I just clamped it in place for the time being, as I can't drill and mount until the radiator is out of the way. I'll need to fine tune the set up once I have the engine back on the stand. Also managed to buy a correct length v-belt. :D

Attached Files:

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thats a neat unit Eric, do you know what model it came from ??? Might need one also

24. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Steve. It's from a Citroen BX. There is a left and right model. OEM 96034825 and OEM 95590353. If you can't find it using these numbers, I can order one for you, no probs.

25. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

By future owners, I meant way, way, way in the future. I certainly need to do some serious driving first when the car's finished.

Thank you Steve!

As sad as that would be.....don't you think Eric is more than likely a builder and not a driver? He'll buy another car and build it for us all over again!:D[/QUOTE]

How about I keep the car AND build something else? I certainly have no plans to sell the car, but there are a few other cars out there I would like work on.....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Future owners just means His grandchildern!!! At least That's what I hope for this masterpiece keep it in the family.

26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Good to hear that tensioner worked with the hemi.I think it was first time when i heard that anything that came from BX has worked:D

27. farmer12

farmer12

[[/QUOTE]
    Future owners just means His grandchildern!!! At least That's what I hope for this masterpiece keep it in the family.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, the car will stay within the family for a long time.:D

28. farmer12

farmer12

Haha:D Remember that it still needs to prove itself once the engine is running.

29. Moparts

Moparts

Still one awesome build, I try to follow it often. Keep up the great work!

30. hemi v8

hemi v8

must be getting close to firing up that Hemi now! make sure you make a vid. cant wait to hear that engine.