Register now to get rid of these ads!

My friends dont like hot rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GovernorKC, Jul 11, 2012.

1. SledDriver

SledDriver
    from California

Hmm. I have several groups of friends, and they rarely or never interact with each other: One group is car guys (And even the car guys can be broken down into different groups), one group of guys are my deaf buddies (usually broken down into sports and poker), and the last group is my softball group (which is co-ed and does include a few deafies). I find that I like diversifying things a bit and catering to all of my interests and friends, not just cars and the guys associated with them. Keeps the individual interests refreshing and prevents burnout.

just my two copper lincolns...

Travis

However, I am thinking about hosting a poker night with the deaf guys and the guys from the car club... that might be interesting...

2. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

My best friend is my dad,he showed me how to build hot rods when I was a kid.im 43 ,he's 69 were still best friends.weve always liked the same things ,when I was a kid he coached my football team ,helped me build my bike.we always have been close .everybody else has just been there part time for me.he has always been there.no matter what.guess I'm lucky.before my son was killed in a car crash we all three were best friends I think the car thing just runs in our blood it was never forced on me and I never forced it on my son.

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Dude, your 13-year-old son will LOVE you for spending time with him now,:cool: instead of wasting time on some golf course. My Dad and I spent a ton of rough times in bad weather swapping motors, but I have memories that I wouldn't sell for any price.;)

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here in Australia there is a big difference between a friend and a mate, proximity had nothing to do with it.
    The fact that we served together in combat and could trust our lives to each other not only then but back here in the world as well, that our family's all knew each other and were all mates as well, that my best mate married my sister, that when I was wounded and in hospital my mates from my Patrol all went AWOL and traveled from W.A. to Sydney to see me, thats why we were mates. Not just because we worked in close proximity.

Doc.

5. all my freiends are car people..any non car people i know are friends with my wife

6. LIL ANGE.

LIL ANGE.
    from Long Beach

sounds like your friend is one of them honda,ricer fast and the furious types, what person doesnt like a hot rod,or a harley or lowrider. all my firends are into the same interest as me, thats good ol classic american steel, weather its a harley, bomb,hot rod ,sled,or a beater that can be repaired.

some people now days are a whole different breed.

7. skoh73

skoh73

I've been lucky enough to have met some great local guys on the HAMB. We hang all of the time now.

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Custom cars are my life, I build them for "customers" and most become and remain my friends. Car guys have replaced non-car guys as my friends, long ago......
    But I can truly say I have lots of VERY good friends! REAL car guys are great!

9. pila38

pila38

None of my friends get it either, it's turning me into a grumpy recluse who only leaves the house to go to his garage 10 ft away. I'm ok with it.

10. rick finch

rick finch

I associate with alot of different people, some from work (I've since retired) some from my wife's office, the neighbors, but my "friends" are all motor-heads. Been that way for 60+yrs...

11. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

no no no, they arent into ricers. just not into cars at all

12. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I'm with Rick...lots of "acquaintances" but those who I call friends share my love of cars/trucks/bikes. Expand your circle.

13. doublenickletickle

doublenickletickle

My friends all hate me(coming from the import world, but grew up with hotrods and bikes as a kid so it was natural I wanted more once I became of age)

So when they give me shit, I laugh... I built drift cars, fun... But Building Something old and with style and actual class

Nothing Compares and nothing will ever

14. Irishman

Irishman

"Her indoors" hates my car. It causes continuous friction (even though I've cut away back on the time spent on it). It's been called a hunk of junk, rust bucket, eyesore, etc..

But you know what, I can either be out in the garage now and again tinkering and keeping my sanity or she can have me inside all the time and me be a raging lunatic.

My friends are pretty cool about the mission though.

15. I have two best friends who i've known since I was 9yrs old. They aren't into old cars and don't understand why I don't drive something newer,since I can afford it. They will never get it!
    All my friends I hang with,I met here on the HAMB. Cars are my obsession,so it only makes sense that I would be drawn to other gearheads.
    Pretty much the only time I hang out with the other two friends is Super Bowl and UFC fights.

16. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Seriously.... get new friends.

17. slammed

slammed

I do not hang anymore. Being older you sort though people over the years. When I stopped the 'party' thing the list got super short pronto. Try it, no B.S. tv, 'party', ect. Work, work on your ride or work-out. No time for the rest of it.

18. I dont like regular people !

19. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Who gives a shit what your friends think! Your happy right?

Maybe its time to think about getting new friends or just do your own thing.

20. My wife is totally into cars, and hot rods....she puts up with every single project that I bring home...in fact she has no problem with what I spend to get things up and running !!...My dog is a big fan too...I have six old vehicles that I am currently working on ...some more than others...everything I do is done solo...no help from any friends at all...my friends are a long distance from where I live, but they are all gearheads...the closest one lives about 100 miles away from me....they all get it and my wife gets it....what more could I ask for ??...sounds like your friends are a bunch of boring dickheads.

21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

What he said. Now!

22. None of my friends get it. They give me blank stares if I start talking about cars or parts. They're not interested, and not inclined. I'm fine with that. They always smile when I crank up an engine though.

More importantly, they put up with me talking about cars because they know it makes me happy. If they see something old, they'll usually take a picture, or try and describe it to me.

I have a buddy who is a formally trained musician. I give him the same blank look when he starts talking instruments and music.

The point of all this is, that they're my friends because I enjoy their company. I don't expect them to understand all my interests, just the same way I don't understand all of theirs.
    I think I'd be pretty bored if all my friends had the exact same interests and hobbies.

23. BubbaC

BubbaC
    from FLA

Shit, All my friends or car guys....This is what we grow up doing and will never grow out of...

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

What is this "friends" you speak of?

25. 117harv

117harv

Do they have to?

26. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Go to a lot of car events,...you'll meet REAL friends there !!

4TTRUK

27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A shit TV show with bad actors!!:p

Doc.

28. kscarguy

kscarguy

Perhaps your friends just drank too much Linenkugel beer and can't remember that they actually DO like hotrods and harleys.

29. DrJ

DrJ

You're mistaken.
    All your real friends like your hotrod because it's yours and they are your friends and they accept you unconditionally so they like the fact that you like it.

30. 19-c

19-c

Get new Friends