Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Campers...Let's see what you got!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mctim64, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Here's mine. It belonged to my wife's Grandfather. I am currently restoring it and getting it ready to camp for the fall season.

Attached Files:

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ Pretty nifty... but I hope the "Blue Tarp Blues" will be over soon! Gary

3. I needed to seal the roof and patch a smal hole. That part is done! A lot on the list though! Anyone got a sink for a Scotty?

4. That is a beauty.:cool:

5. metalman

metalman

Ha ha, some of these camp trailers are not built for big people. My brother had a lady that was, well... let's say plump:eek: almost get stuck in the door jam of his 53 New Moon.

6. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Haha you wouldn't believe the pm's i've had over her:D Gets me every time aswell that's why she's staying a while.

Thanks for the picture. Kind of playing with ideas but think a delivery may be what i need. Want something i can use for camping at the smaller 2 day shows when a trailer camper would be a PITA.

Anyone here ever modded a HAMB friendly delivery for camping?

Dan:cool:

7. Just sold it on ebay....

8. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Just bought one today![​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist.............lol

9. Clik

Clik

I've got a winged 16' Shasta that I snatched up because it has a BATHROOM/SHOWER.

I can't deal with public bathrooms and very few of these little trailers had a bathroom. At most a suitcase john that had to be carried to empty.

Ay any rate, I snatched it up with the intention of restoring it and taking it to the Western Maryland Street Rod Round Up but health problems hit.

If anyone thinks they may want to buy it I will take some pics or they can come by in person.

It's in Southern Maryland and a $1000 takes it away with title.

10. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

a few updates on mine, but damn @ 103 degree's plus, this aluminum is a b. to work on.
    george

Attached Files:

11. sunshinedb

sunshinedb

Found two campers on a late evening motorbike ride in Jersey over the weekend....
    This Spartan...
    [​IMG]

12. sunshinedb

sunshinedb

13. sunshinedb

sunshinedb

And this unknown....
    Both look saveable and have been sitting for years....
    [​IMG]

14. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Reminds me of the movie "The long long trailer" that Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz starred in.

Though the one above is not the same type as the one in the film, in my opinion it looks to be one of the larger travel trailers of that time. Today a 40 footer is almost the norm...

The movie is really one to watch. Makes you want to buy one and travel.. or not.. lol

[​IMG]

Story: Nicky and Tacy are going to be married. Nicky wants to save up money for a house, but Tacy dreams of starting off with their own home on wheels--a trailer. After the two are hitched, they hitch up their trailer and begin their honeymoon. The humor comes from several disastrous adventures the couple has while traveling including Tacy's awkward attempt to cook dinner in a moving trailer, and a cliffhanging ride through the mountains that nearly destroys their marriage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the add for the real model of this trailer.
    [​IMG]

They actually drove that trailer into Yosemite valley here in California and if you have ever driven the 2 lane road heading into the valley, you may also be curious on how the heck they managed to get that huge thing there without scraping or hitting the guard rails or rock walls.. one hell of a driver must have towed it in.. it would be a nightmare for me lol

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

15. c57heaven

c57heaven

Did you notice the vent window in the Desi Lucy picture is from a Gm probably a Pontiac as I saw one on one of their shows? In any case it is not the triangular window shown in the movie.

16. Do you think that 125 hp '53 Merc had a bit of trouble pulling that big thing?

17. Didn't I see this one at "JalopyShowdown" a few weeks ago? Nice...very clean inside and out and the price seemed very reasonable to me.
    Someone here should grab it. Too heavy for my '51 to pull or I would love to have it.

18. I've been tempted by some nice campers but I'm still holding out for on like my grandparents had,,1957 Shasta.

it just had the look with the windows across the front and the canned ham look of the trailer,,not to mention the wooden screen door.:)HRP

19. Your 51 would pull it easily....I move it around with my lawnmower..LOL
    It wasn't at the Showdown...but the one I recently bought was there and I jumped on it!

20. Or stopping it? Talk about overload!! Should have called it The Jack-Knife Special, an accident waiting to happen.......

21. toms37gmc

toms37gmc

My brothers Scotty replica

Attached Files:

22. Gromit

Gromit

I had a couple of cool old trailer projects that I had to scrap when I lost storage. a 1962 Burstner Delphin (European) and a 50's vintage Aloha. Both were rotten, but I saved some cool bits. The only one I have left is a 1974 Shasta, which is getting new rubber today. I have a little left to do on it, but it's solid and almost everything works (who needs a heater in the summer!) It was avacado and gold. I painted the green stripe with Fire Red Krylon, and covered the narrow stripe with checker pattern Duct tape and black pin stripe :) Putting teardrop shaped side markers on it later.

Attached Files:

23. CayoRV

CayoRV

With regards to the Avion (and later Cayo) pickup campers. Production began in 1965 with the C10 models (10') and later in 1967 grew to the C11 (11') models. Minor design changes were made through 1970 when they became Cayo units (same camper, new name) with production ending with the 1975 model year end. They were really quite light as p.u. campers went for the day due to the lightweight all aluminum construction technique. In fact the completed enclosed "shell" prior to the interior cabinetry and appliances, plumbing, etc. weighed in at approximately 700 lbs. Total production was approximately 4500 units over the 10 year production run and many are still not only very serviceable but now becomming collectible.
    Yes, there is a connection to my HAMB i.d., my father designed and built the first and last of these units and my grandfather and great uncle founded the Avion Coach Corporation in 1956. I'm proud to say I still repair and service these trailers and p.u. campers every day.

Chuck Cayo

24. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Here's our newest addition, a '47 Spartan Manor given to us. We just got it home, towed it 180+ miles behind the newly finished GMC Dually with no trouble. In the planning stages now, and trying to figure out what to sell to finance the build! There are more pics and drivel at "Cool McCool's Garage", just click on the link in my signature line.

Brian

Attached Files:

25. bigdav160

bigdav160

Ah ha!

Your camper looks very similar to a RV parked along the highway in Childress Texas.

Seen here

I always wondered what it was.

26. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Neat! They used a 57-58 International for the grill and headlights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

27. You should be proud, Chuck; the Avion units are very high quality. I've admired the campers for years, particularly the aircraft type aluminum skin. Looked at a few, but they always sold very quickly......

28. Patrick46

Patrick46

Hahaha....now man...this is just to frikken COOL!!! :eek:

I LOVE IT!!!!
    [​IMG]

Great job! Can't wait to see the finished project.

29. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

Thany you sir. it should be done by the end of the month . will post some finished pics soon!
    george

30. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Where did you get the stove/oven from?

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com