Register now to get rid of these ads!

radiators?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FrazeeHotrods, Jul 9, 2012.

2. FrazeeHotrods

FrazeeHotrods
    from Kansas

thanks for all the posts! first off i need to clarify that the pics in my album are of what i bought, i purchased that, and got it home and realized wow, i purchased a pos! lol they had added onto the frame with angle iron, and non of the mechanics were right, it was just sucky. So with that being said me and my dad decided to create something new that would be safe, and fun to hot rod around in. We have started from the ground up now, buying everything new so far from speedway, new frame and all new suspension, we will use the cab off of what we bought. As far as the inline 6, i know nothing about them and im not really intrested in using it at all, we had planned to use a 289 and a 4 speed we have sitting out here, but when this 429 fell into our hands i changed the game plan, i appreciate everyones opinion, but i think hot rodding is building your own ride the way you want it, and i think i want this 429 in there :) may be to big but if we dont give it a shot we wont know. lol thanks again!
    ps. ill try and get some photos up as our build goes on, so you can actually see what we are building.

3. JimSwann

JimSwann

I dont care what your name is, check with Lee at Brassworks. Give him the dimensions and what engine you plan to run. I bought mine 5 months ago and love it.

4. +1. Do you really need a big block in a T? Probably never get traction. Sell it to a muscle car guy, and with the money get a 283 and a paint gun. Traditional engine that doesn't require a huge radiator, and cheep to boot. Then you can paint her as well. Kill a bunch of birds with one heavy iron stone.

5. FrazeeHotrods

FrazeeHotrods
    from Kansas

Im gonna try with the 429, if i have cooling problems and i decide i dont like my tires spinning, then ill tinker on my 289 i got and drop it in :)

6. Gromit

Gromit

JimSwann; Hey.. re; your sig line.. I was just talking about that on the radio last week. I love that song.

R@rod: Yup.. build what you want, but when a couple dozen guys are suggesting it's not a smart choice.... clearly money is not an object.
    289 is awesome.. look up Stovebolt motors.. you will want that 6. They get craploads of touque, and sound amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCKh8Z5gj1E

7. norms30a

norms30a

Google ...Custom Auto Radiator ...lots of info there. I have one, it's brass, steel, and copper, seems to be well built.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Ya know, RR Kid, I have to say you have been very respectful and have put up with some strong criticism very well. Says a lot about you. Ryan has stopped changing user names, but maybe, just maybe he might make an exception in your case. I think it would be a nice gesture and allow you to enjoy your membership without constantly going through a battle each time you post something. (Hint, hint :D) Maybe PM Ryan and ask nicely.

Anyway, if you have the 429 I see no problem in using it. Yes, it is big, yes, it is heavy, but so is an Olds or Hemi, and we all love those. We are building an OT Capri right now with a 460 in it and it is like putting 10 pounds of something in a 5 pound bag, but it will also have brutal HP. :D

Don

9. FrazeeHotrods

FrazeeHotrods
    from Kansas

thanks man! i appreciate it, im just looking to share my build and learn some on the way :) i have pmd him, and we will see how that goes, i think the 429 will be perfect lol, dont plan on hopping it up to much, but i think that a thumpr cam, and an aluminum intake would do it some justice, probably put some lake headers on it, and hopefully she will be what im imagining.

10. atch

atch

i fully understand. i'm planning a 401 nailhead 4-sp for my T modified. and have a 425 backup engine.

400 hp (+/-) in a 2000 pound (or less) car sounds like overkill, but hey, i'm buying the parts and gas, so who else should care?

besides, i'd really like a shot at flamedabone at the drags (you need to do a search on flamedabone's hamb drags escapades).

my radiator plan is to have an aluminum one made to fit whichever grill shell i finally decide to use (i've got around a half dozen accumulated to choose from). i'm not made of money. quite the opposite, i'm relatively poor compared to many (most?) on this forum. but i feel like i'd rather spend a good chunk of change on a new radiator than be stranded 3 states from home some day in the future. note: i intend to drive the wheels off of this car; just like i've done with clarence for the last 39 years.

you might wanna pm chicken and ask him what radiator he's using in his T. he runs a 500 inch caddy and it runs HARD at the strip. i don't know if he drives it on the street, but i believe that he does.

and the aforementioned flamedabone runs a blown big block pontiac in his A. you might want to ask him what he's using, too. he drives that thing from the east coast every year to joplin in august (read that "the hottest month of the year"), races it hard, and drives it back home. to my knowledge he's never had a radiator problem.

b-t-w; it takes more than a lack of paint to make a rat rod. there are some pretty cool rods out there that don't have shiney paint but are safe and well engineered. to the crowd on here a rat rod is an abortion that shouldn't be allowed to be driven on a public street due to "issues".

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  11. FrazeeHotrods

FrazeeHotrods
    from Kansas

my....rides gonna be safe :) new everything, and im kinda fumbling ideas for paint, nothing big and fancy but something i could dig

12. squirrel

squirrel

YOu didn't mention how much money you have to spend on the project...but getting a custom radiator can be expensive, and there aren't any tall/skinny radiators that fit early grille shells that are cheap, that I've been able to find.

But you can buy a big crossflow radiator really reasonable, and if you decide to keep the big truck grill you might be able to put one of the cross flow radiators in there sideways. Look at the plumbing first, make sure which sides you need the hose fittings on.

13. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

If you can go 22" wide and 25" tall, tanks on the top and bottom, a mid seventies Dodge truck radiator may work. Cooled 360 v8's ok. They used the same radiator in lots of early seventies Dodge and Plymouth cars too. Try to find a 3 row.

14. FrazeeHotrods

FrazeeHotrods
    from Kansas

im kinda thinking of getting a tall skinny one, that would fit a 32 shell, off of speedway.
    i guess im not sure, thopse are pretty narrow, how should the radiator fit according to the frame? my frame from rail to rail, is 21 1/2 i believe. so does it actually need to sit on the frame? or is it cool for me to make some mounts if it is narrower than my frame opening?

15. Jason455

Jason455

I ran a 3-row brass 65 mustang rad behind my 454 chevy for years with no problems. I had a mechanical fan and a shroud.

16. FrazeeHotrods

FrazeeHotrods
    from Kansas

@ max gearhead: thanks! site looks good! think i found what i need!

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

Wouldnt it be great if the HAMB had a sub-forum for traditional hotrods only?

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We give all this lip service about how we want the next generation to carry the torch, and then when one of them shows interest in building an old car, as opposed to a Ricer, we give the guy a ration. :mad: The Kid came on, asked reasonable questions, was polite and willing to listen to suggestions, so I don't see what the big deal is.

It would be a very dull, limited hobby if every hot rod were a black 32 highboy with black rims and a flathead.

Don

19. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

X2! It's all the borderline stuff that makes the HAMB the resource it is!

20. Actually someone talked about starting a social group for hard core traditionalists a while back. I got the impression it would have been more of a discussion group as opposed to a practical application group.

21. Hey Ratrod ...just saw the pics of your 27,looks good , tall cab looks very cool
    I say go with the big block,drive it and if you dont like it then change it after all isn t that what hot rods are for ,change??

22. jeffbr33

jeffbr33
    from norwich,ct

hey ratrod,u can get an alum 3 row fliudine(which have been around a long time) for a 65 mustang for about 280.00 ,I have one in front of a built small block with a/c and it runs cool all the time.call summit(800-230-3030) and ask ,i don't think its in the book.also no epoxy,i have 7000 mile not a problem,i think it will work because your running an open motor

23. 117harv

117harv

Try not to build your ride from a catalog, just because some parts are old doesn't mean they aren't safe. Scrounging up vintage parts is part of the fun, there are still plenty to be had. Going this route most of the time will save $$$ too.

As others have said, a smaller lighter engine may work better:)

24. RRY...I'd love to see pics of that fat block Ford in your T......Will it be an automatic trans?....These guys here will get you hooked up with a radiator that will work well....I have an aluminum radiator to cool my 400SBC...I haven't installed it yet, but I think it will work just fine....good luck with your build and keep us posted !

25. FrazeeHotrods

FrazeeHotrods
    from Kansas

yea, i believe that it would be a blast to scrounge up parts, but i think just for this first rod (and since i have my whole suspension setup bought) im just gonna go with this, ha! and imma go with the big block and see what happens, i may hate it, i may love it, but we are definetly gonna find out :)

and its going to be a 4 speed manual tranny, ill try and get some pics when i make some more progress, thanks for the posts guys! :)

26. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

Just purchased an aluminum radiator from Brice Thomas radiators, Gadsden, Alabama after visiting their shop.

Jack

27. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I know a local guy with a t-bucket that has an early hemi with a blower. He drives the crap out of it. Next time i see him i'll ask how he keeps it cool. As far as the rest of your build, and your name, just build a safe ride and avoid goofy stuff like wrenches for headlight stands, tractor grills, etc, and stick around here. There's a lot to learn. My first build was traditional with mostly ford and vintage hotrod parts but no paint job. I learned a lot building it. Sold it and i'm building a 31 pickup sticking to a late 50's build style. It will be painted. I've made friends all over the country, its a cool place. Stick around.

28. If you are using the chassis set up pictured the fat block is going to make it a pig to drive. But if you have never driven it with a lighter engine you won't notice it much.

I don't want you to become one of those these old cars drive lousy fellas, so keep in mind that it is not a Camrey. Once you learn to drive it you will never feel right in a late model car again.

29. Welcome aboard. I built my T and drove it for a year then tore it apart and fixed all the stuff i did not like. good luck with your build.