Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new 1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick_R_23, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

I finally found a car that is in good enough shape to drive! I traded an OT 2000 Chevy pickup for this, and drove it 60 miles home with no problems. It's supposedly all original, Inline 6 with a 3 on the tree, with 58,xxx miles. Everything works with the exception of the radio, I'm not sure what I'll do about that yet. My plans for now are to just go over it real well and fix anything that might need attention, such as a clutch adjustment, and new tires. It's already been converted over to a spin-on style oil filter, and has an 8 volt battery with the regulator turned up. I may consider disc brakes in the future, as the current ones work alright, but I would like to make it stop quicker. I would also like to make it so all 3 rear lights work as brake lights.

Other than that, I just want to drive it on nice days and enjoy it, and maybe consider doing a 'driver's restoration' on it later on down the road. I've got to say I had the biggest grin on my face the entire way home! :D

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. That's a really nice looking old MOPAR, just needs to be lowered add headers with duals and glasspacks and drive it & enjoy it.

3. George

George

4. Congrats, that is a beautiful car.

5. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

I must say I'm digg'in your ride. Just drive it for now and if you fall in love with it restore or customize it down the road. Have fun with it!

6. tjmercury

tjmercury

Drive it!!! Looks great, and even though they aren't fast, they are damn near bulletproof! We drive my 48 Dodge everywhere and it hasn't ever let us down.

7. 4dr orphan

4dr orphan
    from Michigan

Glad to see another old MoPar with new life. To say I am envious it has JUST two doors is a gross understatement. Congrats.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool! blown Hemi would be nice if original motor ever fails

9. oldodge

oldodge

Good for you! Enjoy it.

10. Koderboy

Koderboy
    from Monroe ia

Good looking car!

11. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Congrats ! Sweeet plymouth!

12. hkestes

hkestes

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just love it for right now! I wish had been that nice to begin with.

14. RC Kid

RC Kid
    from Alabama

Wow! You found that cool old car in Alaska. And it looks great! Congrats.

15. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Very nice! Bring it to Wasilla and I'll trade you my '89 Chvy P/U for it..........Seriously, great score!

16. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I love that era Plymouth! I think they are some of the nicest looking cars built in the 40's.

Have fun with it.

There's a lot of options you can do to those old MoPars, you just have to look a little harder to find 'em.

17. PlyPals

PlyPals

Nice one!! enjoy it... Glad to see the plymouth-family growing :D

18. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

makes me miss my 49 coronet. I love that car and that style. I say you drive it all the time, not just on certain days. Heck, if everything works then just take it out and go with the flow. You'll find the desire and the need to figure out what you want to do with it later.

19. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

Thanks for all the compliments! It will definitely be driven and enjoyed. I think the first order of business will be new tires, as these ones are dry rotted pretty bad. I've searched and found a few links on here for disc brakes for these cars. After I do a bit more research, I feel that discs will be well worth the investment.

Edit: So it look like if I order the front conversion kit from Scarebird, the hardware from Napa (calipers, rotors, pads), and a new master cylinder and bracket from ECI, it should put be at about $700 before shipping, and I'd guess about $900 or so overall, once shipping and all the little parts are factored in. ECI also offers a rear disc kit for another $625, which I may consider, or I may think about swapping out the rear to a newer Mopar axle. That way, I would gain better drum brakes, a better gear ratio for highway speeds, and better parts availability. We have a lot of road with 55-65 mph here, so it's definitely something to consider.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  20. George

George

There's a number of Ford/Mopar axles that'll fit with a spring perch move. May want to look @ a front shock relocation also. Mr street Rod has them if still in business, reportedly the oem front shocks aren't available.

21. hkestes

hkestes

Check out Olddaddy here on the HAMB, his website is www.rustyhope.com

His disc brake kit will beat the prcing you show above. I am running his on my 48. He also has the shock relocation kits.

22. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

I checked out his brake kit, but I don't like the fact that I have to modify the spindles, I'd like to be able to throw the stock parts back on at any time. I also have to keep this thing mobile, so I wouldn't be able to send the spindles in anyway. I will look into the shock kits however.

23. farmer12

farmer12

Cool find, welcome to the family.

24. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Sweet looking rig!, if only that huge backseat could talk!

25. Satyr

Satyr

Good looking Plymouth!